German bred Novellist wins King George & Queen Elizabeth

Discuss racing outside the USA.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, K~2, Jorge

erins isle
Grade III Winner

German bred Novellist wins King George & Queen Elizabeth

Postby erins isle » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:07 am

How wonderful, German colt Novellist, son of top producer Monsun, wins the King George (GR 1) so easily by five lengths. This is the second year for Germany on a row.

Chance is that this horse in future will be retired at stud in Kentucky where the owner moved his breeding operation to.
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:35 am

Quite remarkable how German bloodstock has shone in these past few years.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:23 am

A most impressive win and NTR (2:24.60) at Ascot no less. This probably presages another Grosser Preis von Baden and Arc winner like Danedream for Germany.

Frank Mitchell agrees that "German breeders and their bloodstock are hitting the brass ring of premium international success at a far higher rate than their opponents, rather in the fashion of the Dormello Stud operation of Federico Tesio and Mario Incisa, breeders of Nearco and Ribot, the best among many high-class racers."

He also notes that Germans "do not spend outlandish sums for bloodstock, nor do they have the sought-after bloodlines to work with. This makes their results all the more impressive and perhaps instructive to the rest of the bloodstock world."

His whole article is here: http://www.paulickreport.com/news/blood ... influence/

(Strange that no one had bothered to enter the result of this prestigious race into the PQ database until I just did it.)
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:50 pm

Patuxet wrote:Frank Mitchell agrees that "German breeders and their bloodstock are hitting the brass ring of premium international success at a far higher rate than their opponents, rather in the fashion of the Dormello Stud operation of Federico Tesio and Mario Incisa, breeders of Nearco and Ribot, the best among many high-class racers."

And, incidentally, Novellist traces in tail female to Nearco's 2d dam Catnip via Nogara's half sister Nera Di Bicci. Exporting Sibola (USA 1896) was certainly a gift that's kept on giving. :wink:

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:51 am

Spot on observation, PZ, which Novellist's owner-breeder also proudly made a point of mentioning in the winner's circle in this thorough video coverage of the race.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12dl8 ... -nov_sport

The video comes to us courtesy of our banished German friend who once posted here under the name "parlo".
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:50 pm

This is such a great video. I can watch the races here, but since it is a betting site, you never get great info. Once there was BBC television but that's all in the past just as the comments of our German banished friend....
:cry:
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

Re: German bred Novellist wins King George & Queen Elizabeth

Postby vineyridge » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:05 am

Might be that the Germans don't "do" Northern Dancer or Nearco much at all. After all these years perhaps that makes a difference.
Thread Killer Extraordinaire