Adequan vs Chondoprotec vs Ichon

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Jose
Newborn

Adequan vs Chondoprotec vs Ichon

Postby Jose » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:57 am

Can you guys shares your experiences with these products? Any insights from research studies and opinions from vets and trainers?

J

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:57 pm

Not on those three - I recently selected to put my RIT on Pentosan. It is like adequan but also has anti-inflammatory properties and is dirt cheap by comparison ($20 per shot, once a week/3 wks and then once a month).
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Jose
Newborn

Postby Jose » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:52 am

madelyn wrote:Not on those three - I recently selected to put my RIT on Pentosan. It is like adequan but also has anti-inflammatory properties and is dirt cheap by comparison ($20 per shot, once a week/3 wks and then once a month).

My vet recommended me Adequan in combination with glucosamine containing supplement by mouth, but I've been looking at this product and it looks quite promising and more cost-effective.

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:37 am

I've used Adequan with success in combination with Isoxuprine, Aspirin and OCD pellets.

Couldn't tell you if time was the ultimate help or a particular product listed above or the combination of all of them. I can tell you my filly is 100 times better then she was beforehand.
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:39 am

I've used Adequan with success in combination with Isoxuprine, Aspirin and OCD pellets.

Couldn't tell you if time was the ultimate help or a particular product listed above or the combination of all of them. I can tell you my filly is 100 times better then she was beforehand.
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

RandomThoughts
2yo Maiden

Pentosan is the answer

Postby RandomThoughts » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:48 pm

Used Adequan before with mixed success, but, after doing the research, moved to Pentosan and Cosequin ASU about 6 years and I have nothing but praise for the products.
The bonus is that Pentosan is about $20 a dose. Frankly I rarely have a lameness problem but I do use it prophalacticly before a stiff breeze, a race, and when I'm taking young horses through their shin program.
The talented ones will give you an early hint.

cewright
Allowance Winner

Pentosyn source

Postby cewright » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:27 pm

Where do you get Pentosan?
How much do you give each time?

Thanks
make mind bets, it's better to lose your mind than your money:>) - TJ

Howch664
Weanling

Pentosan

Postby Howch664 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:55 am

I used pentosan on my gelding with a degenerative joint. It was the best thing ever. Did try adequan and legend, but I feel I got the best results with the pentosan.

RandomThoughts
2yo Maiden

Re: Pentosan

Postby RandomThoughts » Tue May 06, 2014 10:02 pm

Pentosan has been used for over 30 years in Australia and Europe, therefore it is now a generic drug. Actually, it is approved by the FDA for human use to treat a bladder ailment, but is not approved by the FDA for equine use in this country because, as a generic, there is not sufficient financial incentives for a drug company to take it through the required trials.
Its use is "off label", and it is produced by compounding labs in this country such as Wedgewood in New Jersey. I buy it in 50cc bottles that provide 8, 6cc doses. It can be injected IV or IM.
The talented ones will give you an early hint.

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Re: Adequan vs Chondoprotec vs Ichon

Postby skeenan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:13 am

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but if it helps anyone... we've been using Adequan for our senior dogs with arthritis, with great results.

madelyn

Re: Adequan vs Chondoprotec vs Ichon

Postby madelyn » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:30 am

I know this is an old thread I recently found Pentosan for about $7 a shot at racehorsemeds.com no prescription.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....