Displaced sesamoid

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

jlm
Newborn

Displaced sesamoid

Postby jlm » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:01 pm

Hi,

I was told my 3 yr old filly has a displaced sesamoid and will need time off. This is not an injury with which I am familiar. Can anyone help me understand it better, or let me know if you have had experience with a horse with a similar injury.

I have not yet spoken personally to the vet, but was told it is a rear leg and she will need about 5 months off of training. I will obviously be getting more information as soon as I can speak to the vet that saw her.

Thanks for any help you can give!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:03 am

The sesamoid on the back, if I am not mistaken, is directly in line under, and supportive of, the hind suspensory.. I would think 5 months is very optomistic. A year or two might be more likely.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:12 am

how would "displaced" sesamoid will ever correct itself without surgery? how did it happen? did horse always have it? is it displaced in such way that it causes pain or is it a permanent fixture that allows exercise? I have seen fractured sesamoids--I suppose they can heal though I remember the prognosis is poor.

jlm
Newborn

Postby jlm » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:35 pm

I have not gotten the vet to call me yet to discuss the issue. I was told that there is no fracture (which is what I think of with a displacement of a bone fracture). I do understand the anatomy very well. From what I understand it is not a dislocation or something that is involving structures higher up- but I'm not really sure.

I do not know is this is just odd terminology for a problem that has another name or if what I was told is a bunch of you know what. Will be bringing her home soon, and will post more info after I speak to the vet- if I ever get a call!