anyone see this "paint" yearling at keeneland?

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Mac
Allowance Winner

anyone see this "paint" yearling at keeneland?

Postby Mac » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:51 am

By Stephen Got Even out of Turf Club?

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... =TURF+CLUB

I snapped a brief video of her with my camera phone and the link is below

https://vimeo.com/78094058

Kari
Allowance Winner

Postby Kari » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:09 pm

Figured out why the dam's name rang a bell.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/turf+club

She was a HUGE surprise when she was foaled at Vinery, and there were a bunch of articles written about her. That was the first time I realized there were quite a few TB breeders looking for color.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:14 am

Mac,

Thank you so much for informing all of us about, what I use to call a
"marked-chestnut", which is the most solid-colored version of a foal coming from at least one "white" parent. The whole spectrum goes like this:

01. "chestnut" (or "bay" etc.) --- This is a normal solid color case.

02. "marked-chestnut" (or "marked-bay" etc.) --- This is a white-influenced
equine whose predominant color is still a solid one ("chestnut", "bay", etc. color rather than the "white" color.

03. "stained-white" --- this is a white-influenced equine whose predominant color is also white, who is showing quite noticeable traces of solid color albeit in a less evident manner. That's the reason for the adjective "stained",
but actually, in spite of the stains, these are, generally speaking, "white" equines. These are easily wrongly mislabeled as "roans" (or even as "greys"), description which only adds confusion to the equation.

04. "white" --- This is an immaculate "white" equine, ordinarily, with some very minor traces of solid color but not so much as to affect its general immaculate appearance. These are easy to label as "white".

The alluded foal shown here in this thread is a "marked chestnut". The same can be said about the re-known sire, Airdrie Apache.

The equine known as Marumatsu Live falls within the "stained white" category.

And finally, Clarence Stewart (1979) falls within the immaculate "white" category.

Just look at their pictures for quite graphic examples.

All of these examples, are capable or reproducing immaculate "white" foals,
but naturally, seems more prevalent that the whiter ones have a better change of reproducing more white influenced foals. But this is not written in stone.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:21 am

Turf Club, dam of our subject case,

( http://www.pedigreequery.com/turf+club )

is a very good example of a "stained white" equine.

This are the kind of cases that on many occasions

are wrongly officially labeled as "roan" (or worse, as "grey")

Mac
Allowance Winner

Postby Mac » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:51 am

wow thanks you guys for providing background on these colors. I'm not up on this stuff but myself and every other person at the auction were watching this filly. No one could look away, she was so unusually marked. Very interesting.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:54 pm

Mac,

The filly is probably a Dominant White mutation, from her dam Turf Club. This is a KIT mutation in the same region of the gene that has sabino, roan, and other white color patterns. Other notable DW mutations include the stallions Airdre Apache, and Puccillini. You might like the Painted Desert in Oregon, lots of lovely pictures of horses with the DW mutation.

Jorge has come up with a set of names for the colors, however they haven't been officially accepted.