Mating advice on a new Mare

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:36 am

I haven't seen Justin Phillip in person, but I like him more than Data Link commercially. I really like First Samurai, and he's the same price as JP.

I actually was going to mention Tale of Ekati, but is his first crop 2-year-olds now? Risky?

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Postby wgc517 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:42 am

Yes I thought about Justin Phillip also but bc he is not proven yet I will shy away.

Still want to find another proven storm cat stallion to consider.

Artie Schiller
First Samurai
and ?

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:37 am

Forestry is about the best Storm Cat son other than Giants Causeway

If Giants Causeway can't sire a G1 winner from his chances with AP Indy line mares and the nick is rated a C, do you think First Samurai can do better with your mare?

Personally I think Artie Schiller is the way to go.
Edited by Moderator

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:58 pm

I have seen a lot of Justin Phillip on TV and in pics . . . (I would have bought him if I was in the game yet/had funds . . . love that family), but not in person. But because of my interest I have studied him. Observations...very stocky build, short, thick neck. strong, round quarters. He ran off before his frst start and was apparently a bit of a handful to train early. Pretty inconsistent, especially younger, but played the game till five and did better as he aged.
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

da hossman
Allowance Winner

Postby da hossman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:48 am

First Samurai's book has been closed for a while.

I saw Justin Phillip this week and was very impressed with him - 16.2, length of neck, deep shoulder, good heart girth, length of body and good hip; good through his knees. He also is a beautiful mover, has a great, gliding walk. I booked a client's mare to him that day.

Unproven, yes but 32 starts certainly is an indication of soundness, and he retired sound. Not many of those in today's stud book.

Also has a very good & current family - 3 Graded Stakes winning 1/2 brothers plus a listed stakes winning 1/2 sister.
A difference of opinion is what makes horse racing and missionaries.

Will Rogers

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:20 pm

madelyn wrote:I Really Like this mare, pedigree-wise, with Big Brown. Once in a while it also happens that what screams at me in a particular cross also rates an A++ nick rating, which this cross does.. he's in KY and in your price range.

Madelyn, for my own education, can you point out specifically what you like in her hypo pedigree with Big Brown? Thanks!
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.

----Arrested Development

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:27 pm

Just a teensy segue here, please forgive me. I went to the Castleton Lyons site to check out Justin Phillip, and...

Is it just me, or is it really too much to ask a multi-million dollar operation to have "conformation" spelled correctly on its website?

I mean, Gio Ponti has a $25,000 stud fee. They couldn't afford a proofreader who understands the industry's terminology?

Okay, mini-rant over. Thank you for your patience. :)

da hossman
Allowance Winner

Postby da hossman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:02 am

Perhaps it is because the Castleton Lyons people are devout Irish Catholics and even their stallion have to go through confirmation class? :lol:
A difference of opinion is what makes horse racing and missionaries.

Will Rogers

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:07 pm

After the Donn, First Samurai looks good. He's booked up, but it sounds like Justin Philip might be a nice one to breed to.

Affirmed1
Allowance Winner

Postby Affirmed1 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:20 pm

[quote="dublino"]You'd be better of sending the mare to the slaughter house than mating to Big Brown.

Well, aren't you dear? :twisted:

RandomThoughts
2yo Maiden

Pull a Key Ancestors Report

Postby RandomThoughts » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:33 am

I wouldn't guess with her. Very much of a contemporary pedigree without much to go on with respect to the next generation.
I'd spend the $50 and get a Key Ancestors Report and look for the best match.
Good Luck
The talented ones will give you an early hint.