Colt by Stephen Got Even/Dehere mare

News about mares getting ready to foal, new foals, foal naming, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

RandomThoughts
2yo Maiden

Colt by Stephen Got Even/Dehere mare

Postby RandomThoughts » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:27 pm

Due the 4th week of February. Dynamite nick top and bottom on both side. While the horse has slowed down recently, the mare had some ability. Had an airway issue, but in a 2nd level allowance at Monmouth, for example, she ran a 21 flat, 56 flat on a good turf course. Mare stands about 17 hands. As one rider, Victor Lebron commented, "She's got a huuuuge stride". Her first foal. When the snow melts I'll try to get a picture up.
The talented ones will give you an early hint.

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:52 pm

Please post pics when you get them!

Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

RandomThoughts
2yo Maiden

It's a boy!

Postby RandomThoughts » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:28 pm

Born 1 AM Monday. All ten fingers and ten toes. Hungry and people friendly. With a Daddy of about 16.2 and a Mother about 17.0 he promises to be a big boy and he's plenty leggy. Dark brown now but with gray hairs, so he will be gray like his Mom.

Back training again but I will find time to post some pictures.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:05 am

Congratulations!

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:45 am

Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

RandomThoughts
2yo Maiden

One more to go

Postby RandomThoughts » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:15 pm

Forgot to mention I have one more to foal in April.
A colt, I think, by Jump Start out of my runner-up in the Frizette Stakes. A solid mating, I hope, as she is a Deputy Minister line mare out of a Rubiano/Star de Naskra dam that produced all maiden special winners, at a minimum.

RandomThoughts
2yo Maiden

Stephen Got Even colt at 14 days

Postby RandomThoughts » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:38 pm

The kid now engages his mother in hand to hand combat at the feed tub and is also eating some hay. I know that some experts discourage this but my experience has been that my best and strongest have been early to the tub .
I have some great shots of him foot-racing his mother around the paddock, provided by friend who is a semi-professional photographer. Now if I could crack the process to give access from here.

murphysmom
2yo Maiden

Re: Colt by Stephen Got Even/Dehere mare

Postby murphysmom » Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 am

Looking forward to the photos! I love Stephen Got Even!

RandomThoughts
2yo Maiden

Re: An update on two foals and a near catastrophe

Postby RandomThoughts » Thu May 22, 2014 9:05 pm

The SGE colt continues to thrive at 10 weeks. The kid, nicknamed Tommy as shorthand for his intended name, is a whopper already, likely to be as big as his mother at 17 hands. Correct, balanced, and athletic. I have two terrific pictures of the kid taken by my friend the photographer. Haven't been able to find the time to get the pictures on-line yet given conflict with my racing stable and the event below.

My G1 runner-up mare finally foaled a lovely colt after carrying him for 360 days-somewhat of a norm for her. At 4:30 the following morning, got a panic call from the farm that she was throwing herself around the stall in pain. Met the mare at New Bolton 30 minutes later along with a crack team including the surgeon and various techs. She was trying to throw herself down because of the excruciating pain. On the table in less than 30 minutes and in recovery about 2 1/2 hours later. Colic, of course, and similar and concurrent to the event with Wise Dan. Not an impaction fortunately, but a "loop" in her colon. Fortunately again, caught it very early before significant damage to her colon. Back to the farm on Sunday evening but under close observation. Meanwhile, there were several concerns with the foal. He, nicknamed Ruler, was remarkably healthy and adaptable. Bottle fed during this absence with a mix of his mother's milk harvested from her in increasing amounts at the clinic and with a milk substitute. He proved to be an enthusiastic drinker but clearly missed his mother's company.
His mother, like others in the family, has an unusually acute sense of smell. During the visit on Sunday, I carried along a small towel that had been wiped all over the foal to test her interest. It proved to be modest and non-committal. At the end of the visit, the surgeon granted her release based on her progress to that time and she was returned to the farm. We tested her interest in the foal and it was initially curious and then emphatically no over a period of an hour and a half. The six hour bonding period earlier was apparently insufficient to survive the dual traumas of birth and surgery three days earlier.

The foal was placed on a nurse mare early the next morning and immediately began to nurse enthusiasticly. Bonding occurred within 2 days and the stand-in mother and foal are doing well. This lovely and remarkably adaptive colt has made the transition from nursing on his mother, bottle feeding, and nursing and bonding to the nanny while concurrently being equally completely at ease with people and two mothers.
My mare continues to progress with careful attention to WBC levels, eating quantities, stool condition, hydration levels, general brightness, etc. She is hand grazed 3-4 times a day for an hour and allowed to rest and munch alfalfa and grass hay at her leisure otherwise. It is too soon to declare victory but she is steadily improving. I should note too that we have steadily and sharply decreased her banamine dosages to prevent interruption of her bowel motility.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: Colt by Stephen Got Even/Dehere mare

Postby Cree » Fri May 23, 2014 6:09 am

Wow, Random Thoughts. Good luck with the mare's recovery. The foals both sound wonderful.

RandomThoughts
2yo Maiden

Re: Stability Finally

Postby RandomThoughts » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:56 am

Happy to report that my mare is well on her way to recovery now. Over the last ten days she was turning in low grade temps in the 102 range. If I didn't mention it earlier, surgeons generally discourage the use of any antibiotics with colic surgery because of their tendency to reduce colin motility. So I was giving her tube electrolytes to encourage her to drink plenty of water to control her temperature and, of course, foster motility.
Had one now funny scare of a reported temp spike of 103.9. I was preparing to take her back to the clinic when we discovered that the digital thermometer was faulty. Anyway at day 16 post surgery we put her on three days of potassium penicillin and genecin(?) at the farm following an on-site ultrasound of her belly and repro area. She's now stabilized with daily temps of 100 consistently and can start getting limited turnout in another 10 days.
Meanwhile the foal is thriving.