Alto Sky

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:30 pm

I kind of got the idea from watching Alto Sky's race that he didn't like running with the other horses, and maybe was a little intimidated by it. Maybe it would not be a bad idea to work him with a couple of other horses, one on each side of him and maybe from the gate. Of course, they may have already been doing that for all I know.

Meanwhile, I hope that he is fit and ready to race.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:39 pm

Alto Sky had a 5 furlong work at Gulfstream Park today, so it looks like he should be in another race soon. Anyway, good to see that he is apparently OK.

Go Alto Sky.
Shawklit Won.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:43 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:Alto Sky had a 5 furlong work at Gulfstream Park today, so it looks like he should be in another race soon. Anyway, good to see that he is apparently OK.

Go Alto Sky.

Hi Shawklit,
I was just going to post the work and saw you all ready did:>) The work was very good too, 1:00.62 breezing. He seems to be on track for a win shortly. TJ

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:12 pm

TJ wrote:
Shawklit Won wrote:Alto Sky had a 5 furlong work at Gulfstream Park today, so it looks like he should be in another race soon. Anyway, good to see that he is apparently OK.

Go Alto Sky.

Hi Shawklit,
I was just going to post the work and saw you all ready did:>) The work was very good too, 1:00.62 breezing. He seems to be on track for a win shortly. TJ

You know what they say about great minds.

Hope you are right about the winning.
Shawklit Won.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:08 pm

Alto Sky returns Saturday going a mile on the dirt, his rider goes in another direction (Demander)? He's in the 7th race at GP....past performances below. TJ
http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewe ... m3=1000958

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:23 pm

TJ wrote:Alto Sky returns Saturday going a mile on the dirt, his rider goes in another direction (Demander)? He's in the 7th race at GP....past performances below. TJ
http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewe ... m3=1000958

TJ: Thanks for posting. A mile could be a better distance for Alto Sky, being that his BM sire is Dynaformer, and the A P Indy's and Pulpit's usually liked their races to be at least a mile.
Shawklit Won.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:27 pm

Not today, Alto Sky's rider went to the right horse....Demander won it at 30-1, paying 63.60 !! TJ

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:22 pm

TJ wrote:Not today, Alto Sky's rider went to the right horse....Demander won it at 30-1, paying 63.60 !! TJ

I had my money on the wrong longshot. Alto Sky went off at 53 to 1. What did the racetrack crowd know that I didn't?
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:42 pm

Alto Sky has not had a work since 3/8 and is not entered in any races. So, he may be hurt, or maybe he is just getting a rest and maybe his handlers are trying to work out his faults.

I am no expert, but I still think that Alto Sky seems to be intimidated by the other horses and prefers to run behind them instead of with them. If so, then his handlers probably have noticed it also, and are trying to work that out.

He does have a pedigree that might work on grass. I think that some trainers will keep running a horse on dirt and keep losing, knowing he has a grass horse. Then he will enter him in a turf race and clean up with big odds. I once saw a horse like that win at 80 to 1 in his first race on grass (he was a Northern Dancer line).
Shawklit Won.

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:35 am

Shawklit Won

An interesting side note is the fact that Alto Sky is inbred 3X3 to Storm Cat, a horse that was trained by Hall of Famer Jonathon Sheppard, the trainer of Alto Sky. If anybody can get the most out of this horse by switching to grass it is Mr. Sheppard, make no mistake about that.

DDT

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:43 am

Maybe there are no races for him in the book?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:31 am

Hi Shawklit,
The Gulfstream Park "champ" meet is winding down, Sunday (Apr.6th) is the last day. Then GP is closed till Friday (Apr.11) and reopen with their Calder at GP meet:>).....they will race 3 days a week, Friday-Sunday and the purses take a sharp drop. So the out of town trainers, like Jonathan Sheppard are probably headed back to their home bases by now.
Alto Sky took longer then expected to make the work tab after his first start, then he worked OK. His rider took off him in his 2nd start (and Alto Sky ran very bad)....now after his 2nd start, he's absent again on the work tab. He has to be going through some issues and we will probably see him race again...but not down here. If Jonathan gets him right, he could come back and pay a good price. TJ

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:17 pm

Thanks guys. Good points all around here.

Just hope that Alto Sky is OK. Also hope that his next race isn't a claiming race.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Re: Alto Sky

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:39 pm

A 4YO colt named Leadem In Ken won a $75,000. stakes race today called the Gus Fonner Stakes at Fonner Park. What does this have to do with Alto Sky? Well, they are bred very similarly. Both colts were sired by Sky Mesa, both are inbred 3X3 to Storm Cat, 4X4 to Mr. Prospector, and 5X5X5 to Secretariat.

Leadem In Ken is owned by the Ramseys (Ken and Sara), and trained by one of the leading Louisiana trainers named Mike Maker. Looks like he is a good one. Leadem In Ken has won 4 races so far, including two allowance races and a MSW.

If Alto Sky comes back and wins some stakes races, then breeders might start looking for the same cross (Sky Mesa sire and inbred to Storm Cat 3X3, Mr. P 4X4, and Secretariat 5X5X5).
Shawklit Won.

Jane
Allowance Winner

Re: Alto Sky

Postby Jane » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:37 am

Is this horse not a gelding?