Locked records

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

sarahsull21
Weanling

Locked records

Postby sarahsull21 » Fri May 09, 2014 3:55 pm

Could you please explain your policy on locked records: 1)Who may request locked records; 2) What is an administrator blocked record and why; 3) Are the owners of this site locking records or is it other users

I have noticed that there are an awful lot of current horses with locked records as well as certain prolific sires. I doubt that these owners have requested the lock on the info so who makes that decision and why?

This information would be helpful
"And he's all that."

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Re: Locked records

Postby Pan Zareta » Sat May 10, 2014 8:46 am

The fields for year, gender, sire, dam, and G1 status are automatically locked by the database in records to which more than three progeny are attached. All record fields may be manually locked on a discretionary basis. An administrator block precludes new entries for a specific name and locks all fields for records already using that name. Such a block most often means that name is associated with a well-known non-TB and there have been frequent attempts to add that horse to the TB db. Anyone with good reason may request that a record be locked/unlocked or a name be blocked/unblocked. Access to those functions is limited to the site owners and members of the research team.

ETA - Strike what I said about "administrator block". I thought that term came up in the error message for blocked names but it doesn't and I'm not finding it in any of the other error messages. Can you provide an example of a record where attempts to edit bring up an error message that includes "administrator block"? Thx.

sarahsull21
Weanling

Postby sarahsull21 » Sat May 10, 2014 2:30 pm

Using the example Unbridled's Song, I noticed that his information was last edited on May 5, 2014 by someone. I was attempting to change his color back to Gray/Roan and got the standard message that his record had been locked and to contact an administrator if the information was incorrect. I have run into this message often, sometimes on more prolific stallions alive or deceased, as well as actively racing TB's who might be on the Triple Crown trail or of that caliber. Sometimes, all of the progeny from a certain sire are locked as well and their info is sort of updated by someone who then relocks the entries. Since I doubt that most of these horses have their entries locked by owners or trainers, I was just wondering who makes the request to lock and then update the info. I thought that only the horse's connections or site owners/administrators could request a lock. I just find it curious.

Thanks
"And he's all that."

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Sun May 11, 2014 1:42 pm

Records, especially for high profile horses, with few or no progeny attached are often locked to protect against malicious deletes. After a little spot-checking, it appears to me that more diligence is needed in removing discretionary full locks from records that eventually have many progeny attached. If you run across a case where all progeny from a single sire are locked up and the records are not current please send me a pm. Thx.