Empty victory ?

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Re: Empty victory ?

Postby erhrdt3 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:40 am

Agree, where is the "like" button on the comments. Of course, we would have loved to see a TC winner, but as soon as this fellow started to rant and rave my immediate thought was "sore loser" Be worried about the condition of your horse, it was apparent to see he was not running the normal way.

It's also been reported in more places than one, both the horse racing television channels, national news, online newspaper reports, etc. that this ranting man has gone and hired a "talent agency" a "promotional company" and a marketing company as well as trademarking CC's name. So does that mean we are not supposed to use the name California Chrome on the posts?!

Obvious a case of fame getting to someone's head. Totally classless. The guy should be grateful for the great job California Chrome (sue me owner for using his name) did in the Ky Derby and Preakness!

As I write this, now his owner is going to join ABC news 'live' to explain his anger. Will it be foot in mouth syndrome again?? :roll:
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:14 am

This should have been no surprise to anyone following the triple crown trail as Coburn was a vociferous winner of the Derby and an ugly winner of the Preakness ,using the winner's circle to castigate Churchill over their treatment of his entourage. Agree with him or not there are several ways to address issues like that and in my 40 years of training I have found that there is only one thing worse than a bad loser ...........a bad winner! As others have rightly stated on this forum he should be thankful that good horses like Tonalist stayed away from the Preakness as Chrome would have eaten more dirt. I never thought much of Chrome as more than an average Derby/Preakness horse and consider horses like Smarty Jones and Afleet Alex < winner of the last two legs>far superior The episiode of his sore loser rant is a damn shame as people were having fun then along comes Bob Costas and shoves the mike into Mr Evans' face goading him into another classless scenario about being a winner the "coward's way". Thankfully Mr Evans declined to respond to such ridicule which was to be expectedfrom a family who has campaigned another horse to have missed out on the triple crown , Pleasant Colony. I feel bad for Art Sherman who has conducted himself with great dignity and composure befitting a man well seasoned in this great sport and I will allow this Coburn fellow time to look himself in the mirror after someone with a cooler head has taken him aside,however I have to say that "Dumb Ass Stable" was well named.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:42 am

Evans has put way more into this industry than Dumb Ass.

Call me a purist, I don't want to see the TC become easier, I want the next one to earn it like the other 11.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:26 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZEzB9ma3pY

Not very apologetic the morning after.....
Edited by Moderator

Keith
Grade III Winner

Postby Keith » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:42 am

Horse racing needs an overhaul and what would be wrong having a big prep race the 1st Saturday of every month leading up to the Derby perhaps being the Santa Anita Derby, Florida Derby, Bluegrass S., and the Wood Memorial and having the Triple Crown races the 1st Saturday of May, June, and July for the sake of the horse not because of tradition and maybe promote fantasy horse racing to have more people follow the sport. Tracks could have horse shows, rodeos, and other horse sports to get more horse people interested in the sport.
Last edited by Keith on Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:44 am

In a way I am glad I missed the race having got delayed in cleaning my tack and meeting with my rider and my groom - I saw the replay of the race itself. Bob Costa makes me nauseous so I find myself avoiding anything with him as the talking head. I wonder how many pre-race celebratory drinks that owner had? He could have been quite drunk. If not with alcohol then with the whole tv thing. Same with the Derby and Preakness - having not been in public like that before he had absolutely no idea how to handle it. Poor fellow. He will likely live to regret his behaviour and have to someday eat his words.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:06 pm

CCs run was compromised in at least 3 ways.

- Grabbing a quarter at the break would be enough to dull any horse let alone one trying to do a G1 at a mile and half.
- Espinoza made his best judgment riding based on his instincts - but may well have been wrong. This horse does not like to run in company, period. Five wide on the turn took anything left in the tank out.
- Art Sherman followed his game plan and CC had a great foundation under him. But horses today are not trained as hard leading up to the Belmont, and that heavier schedule may be necessary to get 'over the top' and win the TC.

CC didn't scare anyone off. Later maturing horses are often the ones (like the Pleasant Colony's) that simply want to go further. Many never get a chance. Against fresh horses, somebody was going to rise up. For the Triple Crown it all has to come together and once again, it didn't.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:31 pm

TJ wrote:After watching this years Classics and hearing the classless tirade California Chrome's owner went into after he got beat because a horse entered the Belmont Stakes who didn't run in the Derby?? They are lucky Tonalist was sick and had foot issues, as he was preparing for the Wood Memorial, in order to secure his Derby berth. After watching what Tonalist did today, California Chrome's connections should be counting their lucky stars Tonalist didn't make the Derby or the Preakness. TJ

'Fraid I have to disagree with you there. Considering that Chrome was only beaten about two lengths with the accumulated wear and tear of the Triple Crown series and a foot injury (probably incurred at the start of the race) working against him, I wouldn't call Tonalist's Belmont win a decisive measure of the relative merits of the two. We can hope both colts will meet in completely healthy condition later on; should be quite a race!
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:45 pm

Mahubah wrote:
TJ wrote:After watching this years Classics and hearing the classless tirade California Chrome's owner went into after he got beat because a horse entered the Belmont Stakes who didn't run in the Derby?? They are lucky Tonalist was sick and had foot issues, as he was preparing for the Wood Memorial, in order to secure his Derby berth. After watching what Tonalist did today, California Chrome's connections should be counting their lucky stars Tonalist didn't make the Derby or the Preakness. TJ

'Fraid I have to disagree with you there. Considering that Chrome was only beaten about two lengths with the accumulated wear and tear of the Triple Crown series and a foot injury (probably incurred at the start of the race) working against him, I wouldn't call Tonalist's Belmont win a decisive measure of the relative merits of the two. We can hope both colts will meet in completely healthy condition later on; should be quite a race!

Hi Mahubah,
That's OK, you're not the first to disagree with me and in this business won't be the last:>) I do hope there will be a rematch?
At this point I guess he will get a month or two off before starting back. I doubt he will come back east, possibly meet up in the BC if at all? TJ

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:03 pm

I tend to agree with Mahubah. The injury might well have been a mitigating factor, and I'd think that 1.5 miles provided plenty of time for it to start bothering him. It's a terrible shame that so much accomplishment by a very talented horse and his superb trainer has been tarnished by an owner with a total lack of social graces.

I also would really like to see Chrome and Tonalist meet again down the line. Maybe the Breeder's Cup will be the venue for that.

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:17 pm

Although I have never been a Chrome flag waver I do think that his effort was indeed very brave and given the patient way Art Sherman seems to work around his horses I will agree that after this well earned summer break he may yet strip a stronger , healthier horse and be well worth a place in the Classic.