Sabino and rabicano TB?

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Jorge

Re: Sabino and rabicano TB?

Postby Jorge » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:52 am

Meriwether Jessica. (Chestnut M 2005) http://www.pedigreequery.com/meriwether+jessica

Hmm this filly looks sabino to me! Take a look to her photo at:
01. http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... y-of-freud
02. Progeny of Freud
03. Photo #11

camohn
Starters Handicap

Re: True Roans Exist!

Postby camohn » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:50 am

MattieCat wrote:Also, I thought I might add a little quick comment...
Catch A Bird was the only Thoroughbred brindle horse I have ever heard of, and all of his offspring were either solid or roan. He was the first stallion to produce roan offspring in Thoroughbred history (as far as we can trace back). There is sabino, which Native Dancer seems to have been popular in passing, but Catch A Bird passed down a totally different mutation. Catch A Bird produced four true roan thoroughbreds, and the rest were solids with no significant markings or patterns. Odd Colours, Red Noble3, Slip Catch, and Goldhill Park are his only true roan offspring. Slip Catch was purchased by Winning Colours Farm in Australia and they are currently breeding quality roan, roan overo, frame overo, and dilute/double dilute thoroughbreds. The other three I have not done research on and do not currently know where they reside. I just thought I would let you know that the only pattern that I know of Thoroughbreds not having is Tobiano, Tovero, and Appaloosa-specific markings. Not sure if there are splash white TB's, so I won't say there is or isn't.
I do wish to ask that question though if you guys don't mind...
Does anyone know of any true splash white Thoroughbreds registered with the JC? I don't think there has been one yet...

I can't say for sure on the splash thing but I have recently seen two splash looking geldings that were both Hoist The Flag/ Star De Naskra crosses: splash looking coat, bald face, blue eyes. I have a blue eyed Hoist the Flag mare bred for March 2015 foal to Medallist ( star de Naskra) so curious what spring will bring......

camohn
Starters Handicap

Re:

Postby camohn » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:56 am

MattieCat wrote:I see. I just did some more in depth research, and although there are sabino looking TB's, there is a W5 or W10 gene that may throw that color I hear. I really want to have a sabino-looking TB tested now, just to see for myself. I believe that either of us could be right as of now, but I would like to get this kind of information from someone who has tested many sabino-looking TBs before; someone who may breed them, or may have bred them in the past.
I may be a bit stubborn, but I'm very interested in finding this out. The W gene and sabino genes must be very similar, but the W gene doesn't say anything about minimum expression like the sabino does; it just says usually completely white, or mostly white with patches...I don't know. She definitely has sabino characteristics, so I would be curious to see if she tests positive for sabino. I've talked to a few TB color breeders before, and almost all of them call the horses sabinos. There are many thoroughbreds out there that express sabino characteristics like any other breed of horse, so it is easily mistaken, and I could be wrong. If I am, than I accept that, but I would still like to know for sure without forum chatting. You guys certainly know what you are talking about, and I would love to see if I could prove you right. I might post back if I find more stuff out.
Thanks for making me get my butt up and do some more research on this, it is a very intriguing topic!!!

Also, I'm glad I learned that there are #1 more brindle TB's out there! #2 quite a few splash white TB's in this world!
Thank you guys again.

Variations on W: I stood the Bright White son Wild by Design. His foals were varied in color: solid/ no white, solid with 4 white socks and with of without facial white, high jagged stockings with a nearly bald face, 50/50 solid white distribution, and all white. So....can have varied expression.

Kari
Allowance Winner

Postby Kari » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:33 pm

Saw this guy on my Twitter feed. This is about as close to an Appaloosa pattern as I've ever seen in a TB. I can't even throw an educated guess as to what's going on here. His name is Buchiko, a 2-yo colt by King Kamehameha out of Shirayukihime (Sunday Silence). PQ says the dam is DW. The matching jackets steal the show.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/buchiko
Attachments
Buchiko.jpg
Buchiko.jpg (83.58 KiB) Viewed 3437 times

camohn
Starters Handicap

Postby camohn » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:35 pm

yukichan is an all white TB out of the same mare

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:39 am

According to this database this equine is a filly, BUCHIKO (White f 2012)
http://www.pedigreequery.com/buchiko so we are dealing with a future broodmare.

Makes me remember one of Glacial (Aus) descendants named COLOUR GAMBLER,
(http://www.pedigreequery.com/colourful+gambler), who sported a somehow
similar design.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:59 pm

Desert Oasis Sporthorses
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Desert Oasis Sporthorses » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:12 pm

I am not sure that they have located the W gene for the Airdrie Apache bloodline. If they have, could you post what it is? It has been awhile since I contacted anyone about the dominant white gene and am actually out of the loop. Thanks!!!
Kim S. Leavitt
Desert Oasis Sporthorses
Proudly Standing Airdrie Apache, Bright White and Crusov Fox

camohn
Starters Handicap

Postby camohn » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:12 am

Wasn't the research on W done out of Gluck at University of KY?

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:15 pm

COLOURFUL AFFAIR http://www.pedigreequery.com/colourful+affair
4 high white socks!