Pleasantly Perfect

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Pleasantly Perfect

Postby Joltman » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:30 pm

Am wondering what the story is on this guy. Not real commercial at the sales but he was a tough runner and is big. Does he throw problems? Seems like they well and there is a possibility of classic distance. A plodder perhaps?

thanks

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:09 am

I'm one of those folks who think that, while people can be irrational, markets generally aren't. Sure people can get goofy stupid over a hot unproven but with Pleasantly Perfect and sires like them who need a lot of maturity before they deliver the goods, a breeder/buyer can be in $45,000 in training before they know if the horse can even run. Then you have the sizzle issue (or lack thereof), the kinds of races they excel at (it can be harder to get a race going long to go particularly if you don't have a stakes or high allowance class horse) and residual value for a really good one. All of this brings downward pressure on the yearling prices and consequently the fee.

Mac
Allowance Winner

Postby Mac » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:26 pm

synsonby makes excellent points.

For my partner and I, considering our goal of breeding two-turn types, we like Pleasantly Perfect. He can get a top-notch distance horse and his stats (average earnings index, percentage of stakes winners from foals, etc.) are solid. Also he gets a good number of high-end graded stakes competitors (such as Setsuko who got robbed of a gr. 1 win against Game On Dude when he got bumped in a 3-way-collision right before the wire).
Setsuko has never even won a stakes but has acquitted himself well in multiple gr. 1s, and was quite talented. I think he is representative of the type of horses Pleasantly Perfect can get. It doesn't seem that very many pleasantly perfects actually show up in the sales ring and they are generally not his best specimens, as a lot of people use him for breed-to-race.

My partner and I bred a mare to him and we like the weanling, she has the top-line, the nice long neck, the really nice correct leg structure and a GREAT shoulder and hip. We didn't pay much for the stud fee but she sure looks the part. So we like him for our goals, however if wanting an earlier type Synsonby is right in pointing out he is not known for early 2 year old types.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:22 pm

I appreciate your thoughts. I like the possibility of getting a chance to get a classic type with him.

jm

camohn
Starters Handicap

Re: Pleasantly Perfect

Postby camohn » Fri May 02, 2014 2:44 pm

I have owned several Pleasant Colony line horses and all are very late to mature. They are great horses, but not good for folks that want a precocious early to mature youngster. They all had big growth spurts until 4. Avatar pic is one of em...from Roanoke. Redeemed (include / pleasant tap ) seems to have done better as a juvenile .

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:05 pm

Looks like the Pleasant Colony line may have helped the Belmont winner by Tapit stay the distance? I wish there were more of these classic distance races.

jm

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:11 pm

I wonder if we might see a few more from that line being bred to sons of Pulpit. Would be interesting.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:17 am

I just had a glance, and he had 3 yearlings go through the ring at Keeneland (so far) that averaged $71,000. One RNA at $65,000 with a nice female family. His 2015 fee is listed as TBA.
Not too bad for an "uncommercial" sire.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:21 am

I should add, they were all fillies. A trend?

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:33 pm

Less Than Perfect, a 2-year-old colt by Pleasantly Perfect, won the Fitz Dixon, Jr. Memorial Juvenile Stakes at Presque Isle Downs today. This colt has raced 3 times in September, seems like a lot for a 2-year-old.

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Postby mightyhijames » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:30 pm

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:10 pm

Sad to see him go. Hope he does well there.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:33 pm

I must be very unfashionable. All the stallions I like seem to be sold abroad.