The Gomper

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

The Gomper

Postby Shawklit Won » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:21 pm

Maybe a new star in the 2YO ranks today.. The Gomper won his first race at 5 1/2 furlongs in 1:02:62 in a hand ride at Los Alamitos today. Looked pretty impressive to me. Have to see what he does at 3.
Shawklit Won.

jellac
Grade I Winner

Re: The Gomper

Postby jellac » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:07 pm

I happened to catch The Gomper's win on HRTV and agree - it was an impressive win from many angles: the time and win under a hand ride speak of his talent. He also looked a very fine, muscular, well filled out specimen in the winner's circle, particularly viewed from the hindquarters which he seemed intent to display to the cameraman.

I will be watching as he stretches out in distance and moves up in the company he competes/runs against. Here's a link to his pedigree -

http://www.pedigreequery.com/the+gomper

(Note - it doesn't hurt his chances that his second dam is Filly Triple Crown and MGSW winner, MOM's COMMAND!)

I am really looking forward to seeing how this colt and Ocho Ocho Ocho do as three year olds, maturing colts who've displayed that precocious 2YO ability that puts one in the spot light, when the Derby Trail races and speculation gets under way.

And here is a link to Ocho Ocho Ocho's pedigree:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/ocho+ocho+ocho

(....and it's been noted elsewhere in another thread that this colt's bottom line going back to Personal Ensign as 3rd Dam is not shabby at all)

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:53 pm

The Gomper and Ocho Ocho Ocho look like a couple of real good ones, and it should be interesting to see what they do at three. Hope they stay healthy.

Another one I like is Daredevil, winner of the Champagne Stakes. Daredevil did not do well in the Breeders Cup Juvenile, having a bad trip. He got sucked into a fast pace and went very wide into the first turn, which combined to pretty much kill his chances of winning. If he stays healthy, I think that we will hear more from him at three. There is another thread about him here.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:16 pm

The Gomper is entered in an allowance race on 12/31 at Santa Anita. It is the 6th race and you can bet that The Gomper will be the heavy favorite (probably about 2 to 5). I was expecting him to be in a stakes race next, but I guess that there is plenty of time for that. Maybe his connections wanted to get him another race before he turns 3.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:33 pm

Second place for The Gomper today in an allowance race at Santa Anita. Not really a bad race for him, but he went a little wide around the turn, and the colt that beat him, Serbian Syclone, was the lone speed. The time was 1:09:39 for 6 furlongs. The 3rd place horse was 7 lengths behind The Gomper.

Both colts (Serbian Syclone and The Gomper) looked pretty impressive, and I expect to see both in future stakes races.
Shawklit Won.