As You Like It

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

As You Like It

Postby Patuxet » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:50 am

As You Like It, the only foal I've felt confident in nominating to the Breeders' Cup, makes his first start tomorrow at a mile on the turf in Race 9 at Tampa Bay Downs. He's trained by Jonathan Sheppard.
Last edited by Patuxet on Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Re: As You Like It

Postby wgc517 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:20 pm

Patuxet,

I really like your match up pedigree wise. I hope your intuition holds true. Good luck and keep us up to date.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:03 pm

Thanks, Gary. Good to hear from you.

Allison
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:06 pm

Race taken off the turf and Sheppard scratched.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:53 am

AYLI finally made his first start on Friday (2/20/15), a TAM MSW turf mile. He came 5th of 10, beaten 3.5 lengths by Team Valor's Throckmorton. Another PQ poster summed it up: “Thought he did great for having a bad start, getting shuffled around and going wide.” In the following race his half sister, Turnout, won like the old pro she is.

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:48 pm

Time travels at different speeds for different people. I can tell you who it strolls for , who it trots for, who it gallops for and who it stops cold for.............................sweet are the uses of adversity.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:30 am

“Master, go on, and I will follow thee
To the last gasp with truth and loyalty.”

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:19 pm

As You Like It probably got a lot out of the race. Better things to come, I am sure.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:57 am

AYLI makes his 3rd start today (4/25) in the 7th at Gulfstream, a 9f. turf MSW. He was a close 3d in his last. He's with trainer Gena Antonucci whilst Jonathan Sheppard shepherds his steeplechasers up north..

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:45 am

I will be watching, he's getting close.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:59 am

To tidy up this thread, As You Like It became anhidrotic (a non-sweater), trainer Jonathan Sheppard bought him, took him to his farm and eventually had him jumping over bales of hay. On Nov. 1st he entered him at the Pennsylvania Hunt Club in a 1 3/8 miles steeplechase where he came 3rd of 11, reported by Equibase as a "workout".

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:00 pm

That's a shame, horses like that do well at Woodbine in April/May and then in Oct/Nov. I thought that he had some promise and would love to have seen you in a win photo. Maybe he will show up in the winter at the mid-lantic tracks..Do you have any others in the pipeline?

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:56 pm

Wilf:

As You Like It has a half-sister, a rising 2YO filly named Fiddle Dee Dee. She was purchased at OBS in August by a former associate of John Nerud who plans to race her in FL. Her dam, Fiddle, had to be put down. I allotted a certain amount of my monies to racing. When that was diminished, which coincided with my becoming an octogenarian, I sold, placed or gave away all my horses.

This sport has been my life-long passion reaching back to my mid-teens and the Massachusetts fair circuit -- Marshfield, Weymouth, Brockton, Topsfield, Great Barrington and Northampton. Then in my 20s I lived in Europe and developed an appreciation for turf races at a distance. The sport has changed a lot, and not all for the good.

Thanks for your interest.

Allison

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:17 pm

Jonathan Sheppard has entered As You Like It in the first race tomorrow (Saturday) at the Foxfield meeting in Charlottesville VA. Two and an eighth miles over national fences. If anyone happens to attend I'd love to read a report. When I lived in VA Foxfield was a favorite outing for our family. Virginia is a lovely place in the spring.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sun May 01, 2016 1:16 pm

According to the chart: AS YOU LIKE IT settled close the opening mile, started a bid approaching the final turn, dueled clear into the stretch, widened under steady encouragement to finish 1st by 5 3/4 lengths. Jonathan Sheppard remarked, "He can run all day."

I'm waiting for video of the race to be posted on: http://www.nationalsteeplechase.com/