Dortmund

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Re: Dortmund

Postby Mahubah » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:31 pm

Dortmund wins a thriller! I put up a post about it in my blog "Hoofprints" at www.americanclassicpedigrees.com, for what it's worth.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:22 pm

Dortmund won, but it wasn't easy. He raced very well, and set a new track record at 1:40:86 for the 1 1/16 mile race. It was tough because 2 other horses raced well enough to usually win (Firing Line and Mr. Z). Great race.
Shawklit Won.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:11 am

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I don't think this horse is Baffert's best 2-year-old/coming 3-year-old. I am also unsure about that female family - doesn't scream true route horse. That wasn't a bunch of top horses he barely beat yesterday and the time was a NTR, but it is Los Al - which is hard to gauge IMO.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:34 am

This horse has room to grow. I thought his race was outstanding. He'll learn a lot from it. Give him a month off....he will eventually turn into a two turn monster....

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:58 pm

Cree wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb and say I don't think this horse is Baffert's best 2-year-old/coming 3-year-old. I am also unsure about that female family - doesn't scream true route horse. That wasn't a bunch of top horses he barely beat yesterday and the time was a NTR, but it is Los Al - which is hard to gauge IMO.

You could be right. There is American Pharoah and Lord Nelson and probably a couple of other Baffert horses that are probably headed for the triple crown trail. I think that Dortmund is too, as well as Firing Line and Mr. Z. Then there are colts like Daredevil, The Gomper, Carpe Diem, etc. etc.

I think that there is a good crop of 2 year old colts this year. Hope that they all stay healthy and I expect to see them all (listed here) win graded stakes races (some already have). As far as the Kentucky Derby goes, it may depend on who is luckiest and gets the best trip.
Shawklit Won.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:51 pm

Interesting well-written article on DORTMUND.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... so-popular

Certainly, according to the article photo, DORTMUND looks like a real giant horse.
Amazed to know that his dam is even bigger than his son; this, in spite of the
big genes coming from BIG BROWN.

Can someone provide the heights of mother and son?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:59 pm

Dortmund certainly showed what he's made of today with his determined win in the Robert B Lewis. That was a very exciting stretch run. It's always impressive to see a young 3YO reassert himself, especially inside on the rail. Firing Line is still a horse to be reckoned with. The classic scene is heating up. May they all stay healthy.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:42 am

Right at this moment, the undefeated Dortmund seems to be the front runner
for winning the Kentucky Derby. Something that makes remember Majestic Prince
during the 1969 racing season. But this group of sophomores is a very talented field
of candidates. The one who is arriving second to Dortmund seems to be his Arts and Letters
equivalent.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:37 pm

Preserved his undefeated record March 7, cruising gate-to-wire in the $400,000 San Felipe Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:34 am

The more I see of Dortmund, the more I like him: http://www.americanclassicpedigrees.com/hoofprints.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:43 pm

And the more you like him, Avalyn, the more I like him -- and your considered eye..

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:32 pm

Wow, after :22.46 for the first quarter, and a sort of "semi-weakening" :46.36 for the half mile,
it was evident that a serious challenge was about to come after him. But no way!, he continued his trend with an impressive 1:10.57 and then re-geared to an impressive 1:48.73.

After such a performance, he ought to be considered a very heavy Derby favorite.
But you know something, what really impresses me is the quality of this 2012 generation.
This is perhaps one of the most profound, tough and talented field of horses I have seen
in decades.

Well he really ought to be the horse to beat but I wouldn't be surprised if...

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:00 am

I think there are some very good horses that are hard to separate and then the rest. Now who those top, say, 5 are, is up for debate!

Mac
Allowance Winner

Postby Mac » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:31 am

Agree with everyone, the quality of this field is a racing fan's dream. The speed figures and class of these horses is breathtaking compared to recent years.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:05 am

The Derby is shaping up to have quite a few leaders/stalkers - can't think of a quality closer in this group.