Materiality

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Materiality

Postby TJ » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:57 pm

Materiality is a very interesting horse (also) in Pletcher's barn. I don't think I've seen Pletcher loaded with as many solid 3YO's as he has this year. Just picking spots for all of them in order to give them a chance at Derby points is a tough assignment. This horse looks like a Derby "sleeper" and he gets the job done with authority....it will be interesting to see where he goes with him next? TJ

TJ
Darley line

Re: Materiality

Postby TJ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:13 am

I posted this prior to knowing he would end up in the Florida Derby. I was inclined to post because of how easily he handled going 1 1/8th miles off a layoff against fairly decent competition while receiving a strong beyer as well. He is a good looking horse and moves very well...the question always was, can he be the first to overcome the curse of Apollo:>) What was the reason he failed to make an appearance as a 2YO? Here's a recent article I thought would be of interest to some...it goes into that and lists others felled by the curse:>) TJ
http://www.drf.com/blogs/materiality-and-apollo

da hossman
Allowance Winner

Postby da hossman » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:05 pm

I agree TJ, Materiality is very interesting and like every horse coming from Gulfstream's exhausting surface, he will be very fit.

Most people will be turned off by the slow time and the laborsome stretch run of the Florida Derby. And of course it is 1 week before the Santa Anita Derby, The Wood Memorial and the Bluegrass Stakes so the winners of those races will overshadow the Florida Derby.

His pedigree may not say 1 1/4 miles, but he stayed on in the stretch of the most tiring track in North America.

Materiality should have excellent odds on Derby Day and should not be overlooked.
A difference of opinion is what makes horse racing and missionaries.

Will Rogers

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:50 pm

da hossman wrote:I agree TJ, Materiality is very interesting and like every horse coming from Gulfstream's exhausting surface, he will be very fit.

Most people will be turned off by the slow time and the laborsome stretch run of the Florida Derby. And of course it is 1 week before the Santa Anita Derby, The Wood Memorial and the Bluegrass Stakes so the winners of those races will overshadow the Florida Derby.

His pedigree may not say 1 1/4 miles, but he stayed on in the stretch of the most tiring track in North America.

Materiality should have excellent odds on Derby Day and should not be overlooked.

Hi Hoss,
I think the odds will be the determining factor, I'm hoping he gets to the Derby sound. I think the tip off will be which way JV goes and how impressive Carpe Diem is Saturday. TJ