The GR I Arkansas Derby

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR I Arkansas Derby

Postby TJ » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:50 pm

American Pharhoah gets to answer a nagging question Saturday when he attempts a 1 1/8th for the first time in the Arkansas Derby....which line shows up, Sires side and Empire Maker of Dams side and Yankee Gentleman? If he steps up like his stablemate Dortmund did going that distance for the first time, get ready for "The Baffert Show" in the Kentucky Derby:>) Past Performances below. TJ

11th Race. (C10)Post 6:18PM STAKES
The 79th Running of
THE ARKANSAS DERBY (Grade I)
Purse $1,000,000 Guaranteed 1 1/8 Miles
THREE YEAR OLDS.
1 THE TRUTH OR ELSE (L) S McPeek, K Borel, C 118
2 MR. Z (L) - Lukas, D Vazquez, R 118
3 BRIDGET'S BIG LUVY (L) 56 Englehart, J Cruz, A 122
4 MADEFROMLUCKY (L) 56 Pletcher, T Velazquez, J 118
5 BOLD CONQUEST (L) S Asmussen, S Santana, Jr., R 118
6 AMERICAN PHAROAH (L) - Baffert, B Espinoza, V 122
7 FAR RIGHT (L) S Moquett, R Smith, M 122
8 WIN THE SPACE (L) Papaprodromou, G Desormeaux, K 118
http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewe ... m3=1751035

TJ
Darley line

Re: The GR I Arkansas Derby

Postby TJ » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:06 pm

American Pharoah...The route Baffert chose for this horse really won't prove much against this mediocre field. He should win by default.
Mr. Z...how did he ever run that big race at LRC just a head and a nose away from Dortmund? Returns in less then 2 weeks and the b's are back on? Lukas has the fever.
Far Right...Mike Smith returns for a hat trick with this horse, beat Mr. Z twice over this track, but he's been away 48 days?
Win The Space...Sneaky maiden in here, he's a half to graded stakes filly House Rules. Off slowly in both lifetime starts sprinting at SA, but he could show the way in here going two turns? Desormeaux in to ride.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:25 am

American Pharaoh
Madefromlucky
Far Right

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:30 am

American Pharoah
Madefromlucky
Far Right

Hoping Mr. Z finishes out of the top 3, so they don't have the points for the Derby, they are that crazy. Feel sorry for the little horse.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:52 am

Cree wrote:American Pharoah
Madefromlucky
Far Right

Hoping Mr. Z finishes out of the top 3, so they don't have the points for the Derby, they are that crazy. Feel sorry for the little horse.

Hi Cree,
I agree with you concerning the handling of Mr. Z. Yet Z does seem to have the ability, but he keeps disappointing after showing well against top 3YO's. Everyone thinks that Lukas is a training guru...but if you knew what top trainers thought of him back in the day and saw what he did to champion Ladys Secret, this move with Z isn't surprising. Lukas will do whatever it takes to get a top performance out of this horse and the switch in rider (Shades of Will Take Charge' turn around with a rider switch, later accused of using a joint) is meaningful? TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:26 am

I have never liked Lukas. I don't care what he's done to get to the HoF.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:08 pm

Take Charge Brandi is a recent case in point - I felt she was overraced.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:24 am

Incredibly over-raced.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:25 pm

American Pharoah a runaway winner going the 1 1/8th in 1:48.52. He rated very kindly behind the speed and moved at will. Certainly bodes well for the speed he will encounter in the Derby. He's all Empire Maker:>)
Far Right finished 2nd
Mr. Z third
Madefromlucky was 4th.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:32 pm

Well, that was rather impressive. Dortmund who?

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:39 pm

Can anybody say GREAT DERBY FIELD?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:50 pm

Cree wrote:Well, that was rather impressive. Dortmund who?

Hi Cree,
LOL.....but lets not get to carried away yet. I just wish he had some real competition today.....it was just the same usual suspects in the race at OP. This Derby will be one of the best in many years....I liked how he rated today, very important when he gets in that field of front runners in the Derby. I wonder if Lukas sends Z to the Derby? Great race, amazing horse, but can a good little horses beat a good big horse....in my experience not usually. Baffert always said American Pharoah was the better of the two and lets not forget about his 3rd horse, One Lucky Dane finished in front of AP in his 1st race. The excitement is building:>) TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:00 pm

Agreed. I do like the way he just bounded along full of good energy, pricked his ears on the turn and just pulled away without looking like he was putting much effort into it.
I love the way he gallops so strongly and fluidly. I really think he is the better of the two.
I don't know what will happen with Z, he got the points, and Lukas doesn't have boundaries. The Zayat's actually have a good horse with a real shot for the Derby, they don't HAVE to enter Z to watch him veer right.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:11 pm

Cree wrote:Agreed. I do like the way he just bounded along full of good energy, pricked his ears on the turn and just pulled away without looking like he was putting much effort into it.
I love the way he gallops so strongly and fluidly. I really think he is the better of the two.
I don't know what will happen with Z, he got the points, and Lukas doesn't have boundaries. The Zayat's actually have a good horse with a real shot for the Derby, they don't HAVE to enter Z to watch him veer right.

Hi Cree,
He does move like a machine.....I just keep looking at that female side of his family, but it seems no one told American Pharoah who his mamma is:>) It's that additional 1/8th of a mile of the Kentucky Derby where it could rear it's ugly head.
It's the invisible brick wall of inherent ability...I know Dr. Roman's is worried about him winning with a 4.33 dosage index:>) TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:21 am

Pharaoh did what we all knew he can do, Storm Cat on the dam worries me.

Mubta Mootah... Mike de Kocks horse is exciting, how will he train?

Materiality also looks a good un also but has a 10lb penalty being trained by Pletcher any other race than the derby being trained by pletcher usually is an advantage.

Most exciting Derby in a long time.

Ramsey's are there with International Star, can't have Carpe Diem, more storm cat.
Edited by Moderator