On To The Derby

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

dublino
Grade I Winner

Re: On To The Derby

Postby dublino » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:26 pm

Yes TJ seen that post interesting as ever.

They way I look at it anything with storm cat out, materiality out Apollo curse I just can't take to Dortmund for some reason, everyone should bet him - remember last year same with Chrome :roll:

Mubtahij off his regular feed and no lasix can't have him either.

Frosted and Stanford are really left by default I thought Stanford did well shipping in against international star who was already 2 for 2 at the track and got a toe into he race where Stanford had to try and make all.

Frosted came back well after his blip/operation and looked like he would put away upstart by about 5l who then ran materiality close.

It will be a tip in itself if Sheikh Mo heads to Kentucky.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:57 pm

dublino wrote:Yes TJ seen that post interesting as ever.

They way I look at it anything with storm cat out, materiality out Apollo curse I just can't take to Dortmund for some reason, everyone should bet him - remember last year same with Chrome :roll:

Mubtahij off his regular feed and no lasix can't have him either.

Frosted and Stanford are really left by default I thought Stanford did well shipping in against international star who was already 2 for 2 at the track and got a toe into he race where Stanford had to try and make all.

Frosted came back well after his blip/operation and looked like he would put away upstart by about 5l who then ran materiality close.

It will be a tip in itself if Sheikh Mo heads to Kentucky.

Hi Dub,
I'm still a bit shell shocked over that Storm Cat thing....all these years and never realized it. It will be tested to the max in this Derby considering the strength of those carrying the line this season...Dortmund, American Pharoah, Carpe Diem, Tencendur, Stanford, Firing Line, and El Kabeir. So that could also eliminate Stanford as the winner....but Frosted is still flying high. Doesn't mean Stanford won't run 2, 3 or 4.
I also heard Mubtaahij would be off his regular feed....but until I see him dropping his weight, I'm not gonna worry about it. The feed in this country is pretty good and they can whip up whatever Mike De Kock is looking for. I see no problem if he runs without lasix, especially if he's never had it before...some horses don't bleed, or bleed at a level it doesn't interfere with them provided they are given enough time before being put under that stress again. A bit of that has to do with the environment American horses put up with, being in the stall most of the time. De Kock always kept Mubtaahij outside as he is prone to respiratory problems....so if we hear about a situation like that developing, then he could be a throw out also?
Interesting to see Bolo opted to run....he carries the direct Turn-To sire line, last one that showed up in was Barbaro, so he might enter the picture now. Hope I just added to the Derby confusion, why not confuse you too.....I am:>) TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:35 pm

After promising Chuck Lopez he would ride El Kabeir in the Derby, they just announced Calvin Borel will ride him in the Derby. Badmojo? TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:08 am

Damn you TJ I see the storm cat in stanford now. :evil: :twisted: :oops:

OK Frosted is me only bet now. :? 8)
Edited by Moderator

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:56 am

Well, sh*t. One of the horses I really like for the Derby this year is Carpe Diem... :cry: and he's by Giants Causeway!
I have never really been serious about Frosted, I guess it was because of his 2 bad races earlier in the year and the Tapit-distance thing. I don't know what to make of him.
I still really think American Pharoah is the horse to beat. He is the Wow horse for me.

Looking at a lot of these horses, I see a lot of 9 furlong pedigrees. There are some really good colts this year, but I'm looking for a horse that will appreciate that last furlong.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:24 am

dublino wrote:Damn you TJ I see the storm cat in stanford now. :evil: :twisted: :oops:

OK Frosted is me only bet now. :? 8)

LOL......

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:48 am

Cree wrote:Well, sh*t. One of the horses I really like for the Derby this year is Carpe Diem... :cry: and he's by Giants Causeway!
I have never really been serious about Frosted, I guess it was because of his 2 bad races earlier in the year and the Tapit-distance thing. I don't know what to make of him.
I still really think American Pharoah is the horse to beat. He is the Wow horse for me.

Looking at a lot of these horses, I see a lot of 9 furlong pedigrees. There are some really good colts this year, but I'm looking for a horse that will appreciate that last furlong.

Hi Cree,
With the cast of good horses carrying the Storm Cat sire line, if that doesn't go down the tubes this season....it never will. Carpe Diem certainly is bred for the distance, so don't lose faith:>) TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:41 am

Cassidy will be looking for a rider, but he has confirmed Ocho Ocho Ocho will start in Kentucky Derby 141. This leaves the field pretty well intact barring any misfortune training up to the Derby. With Keen Ice out in the cold and Frammento looking for two defections in order to draw in. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:37 am

Mubtaahij, who opted to do his training over Arlington's polytrack surface, is scheduled to breeze a 1/2 mile tomorrow (Tuesday). This breeze should give us a heads up concerning the UAE Derby winners ability to bring home the Roses. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:26 pm

Johnny Velazquez chose Carpe Diem for his Derby horse. As expected Javier Castellano will get the mount on Materiality.
TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:36 pm

What does that tell us?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:06 pm

Cree wrote:What does that tell us?

Hi Cree,
I was waiting to see where he went. Mainly because they are both Pletcher horses which he has ridden and worked throughout their careers. If he blows this one (like he did with Orb), he should turn in his jock's license:>) If you think about it he gave up the curse of Apollo, for the Storm Cat curse:>) TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:52 am

Even though we are done with the Derby points races on the weekends, we have some real big doin's this weekend nationwide. Pletcher's contingent should all be looking to make their final breeze this Saturday.
Bob Baffert, jumped the Red Eye to see AmPh at CD for today, because he said he missed him:>) He also confirmed Dortmund gets his final workout at SA Saturday and ships to CD Sunday. Baffert also said AmPh will have his final Derby breeze this Sunday at CD.
It looks like we should see the cast of all Derby starters get their final tuneup between this coming Wednesday and Monday. BUT, this weekend will be exciting and telling....let's hope they all work well and come home happy and healthy. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:20 pm

WOW...Mubtaahij went an easy 3/8ths in his first breeze over an American synthetic track at Arlington Park and passed with flying colors. This horse looks like he could be the real deal?? He's got an amazing stride, yes he only went 3/8ths....but don't forget he's known to have a high cruising speed and seems to have carried that across the pond with him. TJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TO3iXd1mSA

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:37 pm

Pletcher was on hand today at CD when his horses arrived by plane from Palm Meadows, as all 5 ready themselves for their final breeze this Saturday over the CD strip. Should be some noteworthy breezes, gotta figure Johnny V will be on hand to work Carpe Diem and Materiality, I'm guessing, will have Castellano on board....drop the gauntlet boys:>) TJ