Who Misspelled “Pharaoh”?

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Who Misspelled “Pharaoh”?

Postby Patuxet » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:32 pm

Pharaoh, a title bestowed on the son of the god Ra and kings of ancient Egypt, is certainly an appropriate appellation for a son of Pioneerof The Nile. Alas, somewhere during the naming process of American Pharoah” (sic) the word became misspelled. Is there any information out there on how this happened, who is to blame? It's a pity that somewhere along the line someone at the Jockey Club hasn't caught it and corrected it. I wonder if it's too late. I'd hate to see a triple crown winner saddled for eternity with a name compromised by carelessness or outright ignorance.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

TJ
Darley line

Re: Who Misspelled “Pharaoh”?

Postby TJ » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:11 pm

Patuxet wrote:Pharaoh, a title bestowed on the son of the god Ra and kings of ancient Egypt, is certainly an appropriate appellation for a son of Pioneerof The Nile. Alas, somewhere during the naming process of American Pharoah” (sic) the word became misspelled. Is there any information out there on how this happened, who is to blame? It's a pity that somewhere along the line someone at the Jockey Club hasn't caught it and corrected it. I wonder if it's too late. I'd hate to see a triple crown winner saddled for eternity with a name compromised by carelessness or outright ignorance.

Hi Patuxet,
I wonder if it was an error? You would think Ahmed Zayat knows how to spell Pharaoh, after all he was born in Egypt:>) Look at AP's sire Pioneerof the Nile....maybe Zayat's pay back for the JC limit on 18 letters/spaces. He's probably been irked by that for years:>) At this point maybe even thinking Pioneer of Denial would have worked better....I always thought it would:>) In any case, the incorrectly spelled name is now a protected TB name after AP won an eclipse award. I think someone should get dibs on the name American Pharaoh, might be able to sell it for a few bucks:>) TJ

oliverstoned
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby oliverstoned » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:00 pm

Thought I had adult onset dyslexia everytime I searched for him.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:42 pm

I thought it was age related deterioration.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:29 pm

Okay, here's the story. They had a contest in naming him. The person who won the contest misspelled the word Pharaoh. This tweet from Justin Zayat, racing manager...a fan submitted the name through a contest, and that was the spelling sent on to The Jockey Club. TJ

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:40 am

Great detective work. So it's group culpability, spell check error and another indictment of US education.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:17 am

Well, Govenor Charlie is the one that really makes my teeth grit.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Mon May 11, 2015 10:45 pm

Some similar error happened with an excellent horse named CLEV ER TELL, (CLEV_ER_TELL)
where an additional space character remained as part of his official name.
http://www.pedigreequery.com/clev+er+tell

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sat May 23, 2015 9:49 am

The NY Times picked up on the story today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/23/sport ... d=31418693