Shared Belief Gets Nuclear Scan

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Shared Belief Gets Nuclear Scan

Postby TJ » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:30 pm

He is going in for a nuclear scan....strange quote the assistant issued, "He's going for a scan at a facility near the track and see if they can find anything," Ward said Sunday morning. "We don't think it's serious." TJ
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... clear-scan

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: Shared Belief Gets Nuclear Scan

Postby Cree » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:57 am

I've seen something about a swelling of his stifle, and also that the nuclear scan is a precaution.

Is there a chance he just didn't like the track?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:01 am

Cree wrote:I've seen something about a swelling of his stifle, and also that the nuclear scan is a precaution.

Is there a chance he just didn't like the track?

Hi Cree,
Yes, they mentioned slight stifle swelling in this article as well. It is most likely due to him not handling the track and slipping behind. Those horses came out running and Shared Belief had no shot after stumbling at the break. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking Smith pulled him up to save face, as Kent Desormeaux did with Big Brown in the Belmont Stakes?? TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:38 pm

Yes, I agree. The horse was nothing like we've seen him. He looked dull during the race, was just going through the motions.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:20 am

They discovered a non-displaced fracture at the point of his right hip. Jim Rome, co-owner announced vets recommend simple stall rest and prognosis is excellent. TJ

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... p-fracture

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:37 am

Well that is bad news. He has been such a nice horse to watch run.
I wonder how long he will be out.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:48 am

Cree wrote:Well that is bad news. He has been such a nice horse to watch run.
I wonder how long he will be out.

Hi Cree,
Two months stall rest has been prescribed, at the end of that time another set of x-rays will be taken to see how well he's healing. TJ

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoro ... -fracture/

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:46 am

That assistant trainer (with that quote of his), led me to believe he knew more then he was telling us and that Smith was looking to save face....glad to see that wasn't the case, but not glad to see SB was truly injured.
I have to give Kudo's to Mike Smith, he still knows what he's feeling under him. If not for his decision to pull him up, it could have developed into a displaced fracture of his hip. Such an injury usually leads to being put in a sling with a much worse prognosis. TJ

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:16 am

TJ wrote:That assistant trainer (with that quote of his), led me to believe he knew more then he was telling us and that Smith was looking to save face....glad to see that wasn't the case, but not glad to see SB was truly injured.
I have to give Kudo's to Mike Smith, he still knows what he's feeling under him. If not for his decision to pull him up, it could have developed into a displaced fracture of his hip. Such an injury usually leads to being put in a sling with a much worse prognosis. TJ

I felt exactly the same way, glad there was no unsportsmanlike face-saving, but sorry Shared Belief was hurt. Do we know of any other horses that have come back from this particular injury and done well again at the track?

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:17 pm

Maybe not an identical injury, Itsmyluckyday had a fracture of his ilium, was out 4 months or so. Also, didn't Animal Kingdom have something in his hip? or maybe that was his hock???

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:06 pm

Yep, it was hock with Animal Kingdom....this injury SB has is easily remedied. He was lucky Smith pulled him up or it could have been life threatening. He's a gelding so they will give him all the time he needs to recover. He's young enough to come back as good as he was before he was hurt, provided the x-rays show marked improvement in two months....which I suspect they will. TJ

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:20 am

Mike Smith, pariah to hero in the blink of a nuclear scan!

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:43 pm

geowarrior wrote:Mike Smith, pariah to hero in the blink of a nuclear scan!

:lol: