Attention: PETA

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Attention: PETA

Postby Patuxet » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:34 am

NY TIMES QUOTATION OF THE DAY: "Nonhuman animals do not have legal rights any more than they have legal responsibilities. For a court to hold otherwise would have tremendous adverse legal and moral implications for mankind."

BOB KOHN, a technology lawyer, after a judge in New York ordered a hearing to examine whether caged chimpanzees can be considered "legal persons."
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

jellac
Grade I Winner

Re: Attention: PETA

Postby jellac » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:27 pm

....and I believe I caught a glimpse of a small article in today's paper saying the Judge had ruled affirmatively for chimpanzees having the rights of a 'person' under the law.

Does anyone know for sure - that's my summary understanding of what I glanced at before ducking out to do chores. I may have misconstrued the news bit or it may be a ruling with certain limitations/restrictions as to its application and/or a bad journalistic summary of the facts?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:00 pm

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:26 am

Thanks TJ for posting link to the article about above subject - the Judge has "ordered" a hearing noticing both parties to appear in her court and present their respective cases as to why the two chimps should remain in custody of Stoney Brook University or in the alternative argument be given their freedom to be at liberty (which in this case is a matter of 'greater personal liberty' at a wildlife refuge in Florida.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:19 pm

I would say this case is going nowhere so far as declaring chimps to be "persons" for legal purposes -- even if the court gives a ruling supporting that position, it's all but certain to be thrown out during the appeals process.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis