On To The Derby

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Re: On To The Derby

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:50 am

geowarrior wrote:I'm overwhelmed by the number of good horses. Even if I handicap by process of elimination, I'm still left with quite a few. So I will wait for the draw and see if that helps me out.

Hi Geo,
Join the club...a field full of horses with these speed figures and strong past performances leaves little to throw out. You have to hope to get the right key horse, then spread out as much as you can in the gimmicks using the all button on the fringes:>) TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:32 am

Sat. 4/25 (continued from page 3).......

Frosted just went 5/8ths at Palm Meadows covering the distance in 1:01.10. A solid move picking up speed along the way, going in splits of 12.85, 24.92, 36.74 and out 3/4's in 1:14.53.

Upstart also breezed at Palm Meadows going 5/8ths in 59.97, splits of 12.67, 24.46 and 48.01....strong finish

Keen Ice on the track with Tammy Fox getting ready to go.....
Keen Ice went 5/8ths in 1:02.04 with splits of 23.93, 48.80, 1:02.04, out in 1:16.05. Nice steady move. Tammy Fox has been Dale Roman's long time life partner.

El Kabeir very impressive working a 1/2 at Belmont Park in 46.4, with splits of 23.2, 46.4 out a strong 5/8ths in 58.4......

Firing Line worked an easy 5/8ths at SA under Gary Stevens going 1:02.1 galloped out 3/4's in 1:15. A simple maintenance work with Stevens never asking him for speed.

Dortmund followed suit going an easy 5/8ths at SA with Martin Garcia in the stirrups. He went the 5/8ths in 1:01 and galloped out 3/4's in 1:13.60. Just another easy maintenance breeze.

I think we're just about done with the major works (other then some short blowouts or two minute licks during the week)....just waiting to hear what Mubtaahij is up to? Mike de Kock said if he goes with that American horse he will run last. He said he will have him settle back off the Derby pace and make a run.

hpkingjr

How do you pronounce? Mubtaahij

Postby hpkingjr » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:04 pm

NYRA
Apr 3
NYRA ‏@TheNYRA
.@_Mubtaahij Moob-tah-HEEJ

Is this correct? I am clueless.
Give the Pope and the King of England a horse and in thirty days, they'll be stealing halters.

TJ
Darley line

Re: How do you pronounce? Mubtaahij

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:25 pm

hpkingjr wrote:NYRA
Apr 3
NYRA ‏@TheNYRA

Hi hpkingjr,
Yes that is the correct pronunciation...Moob-tah-heej. In addition Mubtaahij worked in company with his older stablemate, Umgiyo scheduled to run in the Woodford Reserve Turf Classic at CD. Mubtaahij worked a 1/2 in 49.70 breaking off slowly and getting his final 3/8ths in 35.30. Umgiyo was timed his 1/2 in 50 flat. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Re: How do you pronounce? Mubtaahij

Postby TJ » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:29 am

hpkingjr wrote:NYRA
Apr 3
NYRA ‏@TheNYRA

Hi hpkingjr,
I listened to the call of the UAE Deby and it sounds slightly different...sounds like the race caller is saying Moob-ta-HIJ. After the race, the TVG host pronounces it as Moob-tah-HEEJ as shown above. Listen for yourself and see what you think. TJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NqO86KOQyA

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:52 am

Sunday 4/26
American Pharoah just completed his final Derby workout at CD. According to DRF, he went 5/8ths in an eye catching 58.62 seconds with Martin Garcia on board. He galloped out 3/4's in 1:12. He just keeps making it look easy, ears pricked and never asked by his rider.
Bit of a discrepancy here as the Bloodhorse clockers caught him even faster going in 11 2/5, 23, 34 3/5, 46 2/5, 58.2/5 and out 3/4's in 1:11 2/5.
In either case it's a super move....TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:15 am

He is something special.
I am waiting for the draw, but he has to be in my super, and most likely on top to win.
Just need to find a longshot to actually make some money.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:27 am

Cree wrote:He is something special.
I am waiting for the draw, but he has to be in my super, and most likely on top to win.
Just need to find a longshot to actually make some money.

Hi Cree,
He keeps trying to tell me he can go the distance....but I have a real problem with him and that final 1/8th of a mile he enters for the first time. No doubt he is amazing, he shows it every time he goes on the race track, but the foot issue is of concern to me. Even though Baffert says he's had that plate on all the time, why do we hear about it now? I'm no where near ready to make a final decision and I have a hard time trying to throw AP out with all the brilliance he's shown us. So I guess I'll go at it with him as the contender he looks like on paper, then again go at like I feel about him possibly not going the distance....and not just with him. There are at least 3 or 4 I feel the same way about? I might be better off playing golf on the first Saturday of May and save a lot of money:>) TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:32 am

I have the same feeling about the plate. Why is this news all of a sudden if it's been there all of this time? Maybe nobody was looking real hard.
I hate to say this (I really really do), but this foot thing coming out now makes me picture Thursday or Friday this week and a scratch from a "foot issue".

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:53 am

Cree wrote:I have the same feeling about the plate. Why is this news all of a sudden if it's been there all of this time? Maybe nobody was looking real hard.
I hate to say this (I really really do), but this foot thing coming out now makes me picture Thursday or Friday this week and a scratch from a "foot issue".

Hi Cree,
I sure hope that doesn't happen. I do wish, when horses of this caliber are heading to the Derby, that they will start to keep the fans informed as to something so basic as the shoes they are wearing. There was and probably still is a shoe board up at tracks notifying what type of shoe is worn, including bar shoes, aluminum pads, block heels, turn downs etc. Don't know why this comes up so late in the game....it should have been published the first time he ran with a protective aluminum pad. They are noted at all other venues, why not in Derby points races?? TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:13 pm

I'm simply being a pessimist. This Derby field is just too good to be true. :shock:
Every day this week I will be checking the Derby news to see if anyone has scratched.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:38 am

Money is down on Frosted 16/1 took it today hope for a good draw now.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:28 am

dublino wrote:Money is down on Frosted 16/1 took it today hope for a good draw now.

Hi Dub,
Good choice, affords good value. I think that might be the way to play this Derby....straight win bets on a couple price horses and see what happens. It will save a lot of money chasing the gimmicks. TJ

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:55 pm

I need the draw to help me.

Anything to help me narrow them down...it's too tough this year.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:47 pm

I'm really leery of American Pharoah's foot.
Right now my superfecta has: Carpe Diem, Dortmund, Firing Line, Frosted, Mubtaahij, and Bolo. Haha - the draw might help me a little.
Last edited by Cree on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.