The Man

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Re: The Man

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:00 pm

The Man is entered in the 6F San Pedro Stakes for Sunday at Santa Anita. I expect that The Man will try to go straight to the front and get the lead and then go the 6F and hope that no one catches him. There is more than one speed horse in the race, so that isn't a good thing for The Man. One good thing for him is that he is carrying 5 lbs. less than when he won his last race at 5.5F. So, if he could carry 122 lbs. at 5.5F, then maybe he can carry 117 lbs. for 6F and still win. We shall see.

Fame and Power is entered in the Grade 3 Coolmore Lexington Stakes Saturday at Keenland at 1 1/16 miles with a $250,000. purse. One thing I will say about Bob Baffert; he is not afraid to enter his young colts and fillies in stakes races right after they win their first race, and sometimes before, and they often win.

Another Baffert colt, Wolfman Rocket is entered in the Northern Spur Stakes at Oaklawn on Saturday, even though he hasn't won a race yet (he has finished 2nd twice). The Northern Spur is a listed stakes at one mile with a purse of 100K.
Shawklit Won.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:59 pm

I have to admit that I favor Kentuckian in this one, but I hope The Man does well.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:22 pm

Thanks. You could be right. Kentuckian is another speed horse, so The Man won't be the lone speed.

They just might dual each other and another colt might pass them both. Should be an interesting race. Looking forward to watching it.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:17 pm

Kentuckian is the early line favorite at 8 to 5 for the San Pedro Stakes. Another colt named Om is the second early favorite at 9 to 5. Kentuckian and Om are both speed horses, so those two and The Man will probably be fighting it out for the lead. Not a good thing for all three of those colts.

The Man is listed at 6 to 1 in the early line, but I suspect that it will be 3 or 4 to 1 by post time. The reason for the high early odds is not only the competition, but also the fact that it took 4 races for The Man to win his first race, but I think that he looked impressive in a couple of them despite not winning.

The Man's pedigree might seem weak to some, and this could be a factor in the odds. His sire is Ecclesiastic, who is not considered a great success as a stallion. Ironically, Ecclesiastic's pedigree is similar to Tapit's. and Tapit is considered the best stallion in the country now by many. Both Tapit and Ecclesiastic have the same sire, Pulpit, and the broodmare sire of both stallions are sons of Fappiano; Unbridled for Tapit and Rubiano for Ecclesiastic. Tapit is inbred to Mr. Prospector 3X4 and Ecclesiastic is inbred to Mr. Prospector 4X5X4. Funny how horses with such similar pedigrees could go in such opposite directions.

Maybe if The Man is very successful, then Ecclesiastic will get more and better mares to breed with, but I think that he is in South America now and will probably stay there.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:52 pm

Oops, I didn't get that quite right. Ecclesiastic and Tapit are both inbred to Mr. Prospector 3X4, which is even more similar than I had in the above post. Also, Ecclesiastic is inbred to Nijinsky 4X5 and Tapit is inbred to Nijinsky 3X5 as well as both stallions having the same sire and a son of Fappiano for BM sire. I think that I got that right now.

The reason that I got it confused is that The Man is inbred to Mr. Prospector 4X5X4 and has Nureyev in the 4th generation and Nijinsky in the 5th and 6th generation. Some good stuff there.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:24 am

The Man has been scratched from the San Pedro Stakes today. Don't know why or what happened. Just hope that he is not hurt.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:10 am

Apparently, The Man is OK. He had a work today at Santa Anita. Glad to see that. Now the only question is when and where he races next.

So. Baffert must have thought better of having The Man in with so many fast horses. Maybe he is looking for a softer spot.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:08 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:Apparently, The Man is OK. He had a work today at Santa Anita. Glad to see that. Now the only question is when and where he races next.

So. Baffert must have thought better of having The Man in with so many fast horses. Maybe he is looking for a softer spot.

Or maybe Bob felt that The Man just wasn't ready to race yet, His last race was only about three weeks prior to the San Pedro, and it could be that The Man just needed a little more time to give it his best.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:12 pm

Maybe a grass race for The Man next. He is nominated for the 75K Desert Code Stakes on the Santa Anita Hillside Turf Course on 5/2 (Derby day). It is about 6.5 furlongs, so maybe that will be a good distance for The Man if he takes to the grass OK.

Looking at The Man's pedigree, there is some turf influence. Nureyev in the 4th generation. Nijinsky in the 5th and 6th, with Round Table and his full sister Monarchy in the 5th generation. So, maybe he will take to the grass, if he does run in the Desert Code Stakes.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:51 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:Maybe a grass race for The Man next. He is nominated for the 75K Desert Code Stakes on the Santa Anita Hillside Turf Course on 5/2 (Derby day). It is about 6.5 furlongs, so maybe that will be a good distance for The Man if he takes to the grass OK.

Looking at The Man's pedigree, there is some turf influence. Nureyev in the 4th generation. Nijinsky in the 5th and 6th, with Round Table and his full sister Monarchy in the 5th generation. So, maybe he will take to the grass, if he does run in the Desert Code Stakes.

No Desert Code Stakes for The Man. He isn't entered in it. Maybe the 7f Laz Barrera Stakes (G3) for The Man on 5/10 at Santa Anita.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue May 19, 2015 5:51 pm

The Man had a 6F bullet work today at SA (a minute, 12 seconds, and change). Does this mean that he will be racing soon? The Man hasn't raced since breaking his maiden in March. He has been scratched from two stakes races since.

I was glad to see that he had that work today. I was wondering if he was hurt.
Shawklit Won.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri May 22, 2015 5:37 pm

So far, the races he's been tentatively spotted for have come up awfully tough. Maybe just looking for a little easier spot?
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun May 24, 2015 12:16 pm

Mahubah wrote:So far, the races he's been tentatively spotted for have come up awfully tough. Maybe just looking for a little easier spot?

I think that is true. Kentuckian ran a very fast race in the Laz Barrera Stakes, so Baffert was probably wise to scratch him.

His best bet would be a 5.5 furlong race, but there doesn't seem to be any stakes or allowance races at that distance at SA. 6F would be his next best chance for a win.

Another thing; being that The Man is part owned by his wife, Baffert maybe doesn't want to put that horse in with one of his other clients horses. Conflict of interest or something.
Shawklit Won.