The Tamarac Handicap and Competitive Edge

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

TJ
Darley line

The Tamarac Handicap and Competitive Edge

Postby TJ » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:41 am

This might not be a Derby points prep race, but it is worthy of note. It gives you a look at the way the racing office works behind the scenes in concert with owners and trainers. It was put up on the GP overnight, as an "Overnight Handicap". This usually means the racing office was creating a race for a certain horse or two that have designs on a serious prep to evaluate, in this case, where their 3YO might fit in the Derby picture. These are late to the dance contenders who have had a rough road preparing for a possible Derby run and are trying to play catch up. No doubt they are clearly running short on time in order to gain the necessary points needed for a berth in the Derby.
As a 2YO, the undefeated Competitive Edge was expected to be a serious contender for the Kentucky Derby till he was injured. This horse has quietly been training up a storm at PB Downs in Delray Beach, Florida. He is entered in this Handicap and is the high-weight and deservedly so, being a GR I winner of the Hopeful as a 2YO. This would basically go against any and all of Todd Pletcher's training techniques. But, if you consider this 7 furlong race (perfectly placed) to be a paid workout for the Bluegrass (which he is nominated to) it may not be such an impossible task, given how well he is training. Everything has to fall exactly into place and Competitive Edge has to be fit, sound and resilient to accomplish this daring and risky feat. The undefeated Mr. Jordan, who wasn't entered to run in the TC early, was a late nomination to the TC races and will offer serious competition. Below is the field and past performances for Friday's Tamarac Handicap. TJ

2nd Race. (CX1) Post 1:30PM OVERNIGHT HANDICAP
The Tamarac
Purse $60,000 Guaranteed 7 Furlongs
FOR THREE YEAR OLDS.
1 MR. JORDAN (L) '12 C 118 Saez, G Melin, David, Ellman, Leon and Plesa, Laurie Plesa, Jr., E
2 SOCIAL REQUEST (L) '12 R 113 Panici, L Rontos Racing Stable Corp. Sanchez, E
3 CHIPIT (L) '12 C 115 Zayas, E Alto Racing, LLC Pletcher, T
4 COMPETITIVE EDGE (L) '12 C 121 Velazquez, J Favreau, Nancy, Psoinos, Kathy and Tabor, Michael B. Pletcher, T
5 COOL MAN WALKIN (L1) '12 C 114 Castellano, J Joseph, Saffie and East End Partners Joseph, Jr., S
6 RENOMBRE (L) '12 C 112 Vasquez, M.A. Ryan Racing, Inc. Jehaludi, M

http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewe ... aram3=2160

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: The Tamarac Handicap and Competitive Edge

Postby Cree » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:41 pm

Competitive Edge towers above these ones.
Mr. Jordan is a nice one, but he is coming off an injury, and it seems like a rather quick turn-around to me.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:35 pm

Competitive Edge came back in grand style, winning easily over Mr. Jordan. Doesn't look like Pletcher will try a quick turn around to make the Blue Grass....but he will race on Derby Day anyway, in the Pat Day Mile (formerly the Derby Trial). TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 02, 2015 9:51 am

Competitive Edge just won the Pat Day Mile stopping the clock in 1:34. Pletcher missed the boat not having this guy ready for the Derby. TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat May 02, 2015 10:40 am

Will this horse stay 10f?

Nice horse now 3-3 I believe something to look forward to for the rest of the year.
Edited by Moderator

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sat May 02, 2015 10:48 am

TJ wrote:Competitive Edge just won the Pat Day Mile stopping the clock in 1:34. Pletcher missed the boat not having this guy ready for the Derby. TJ

I was thinking that same thing. Looked like he could go quite a bit further with ease. Quite a nice run by Pain and Misery too. You have to root for a horse with that name.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat May 02, 2015 11:31 am

Edited by Moderator