Gr I Kentucky Derby

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Re: Gr I Kentucky Derby

Postby TJ » Sun May 03, 2015 7:05 am

After all this and seeing the race run, all I can say is I'm still confused with the post positions:>) When I tried to figure out the post positions, I thought I did correctly. But looking at the chart they seemed to change the the way I figured the posts should be? The chart said Ocho broke from post 1 and Frammento broke from post 18. In my way of thinking, if they left 1 and 20 open they would have broke from post 2 and 19? On the bright side, after I figured the posts positions in an earlier post, I followed through with that thoughtful error and changed my picks according to the posts I thought they were leaving from:>)
American Pharoah actually showed grit and determination outrunning his pedigree with a perfect trip from the auxiliary starting gate, he is a very lucky horse to go from the worst to the best post position through scratches. Firing Line ran very well as Gary Stevens said he would. Frosted was a bit rank early on after he was wrangled back coming out of the gate, settled eventually, then got into a nice rhythm...but taking him back by design, probably cost him the race. Mubtaahij is a nice colt, though he finished on the wrong lead and didn't have a strong final kick because of it, overall a credible run considering what it took to get him here. Materiality should improve next out after that terrible start....if he stays healthy he will be heard from. Upstart (last) continues to be the hard luck horse of this group....after being DQ'd in the FOY for no apparent reason and unable to get in touch with the stewards to lodge an objection in the Florida Derby, then get the worst post position after the Derby scratches I wonder if he might need an exorcism?
As usual we will hear that the race was slow and considering the beyers many of these have run in the past it could prove true? As it turned out the top 4 finishers all received triple digit beyers. AP 105, FL, 104, D 101, F 101.
Enjoy the replay below, I'll see you in January...Whoops, maybe not, how about two weeks:>) TJ
http://www1.drf.com/displayVideo.do?tra ... ountry=USA

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Re: Gr I Kentucky Derby

Postby Aug27 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:39 am

I am disappointed in the way the race played out, with the front runners leading the whole way on a relatively slow pace (A full two seconds slower at the 6f call than Orb's win).
Given their trips, I think Frosted and Danzig Moon are at least as good as the 1-2-3 finishers.

Oh well, that's horse racing!