Preakness Probables

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Preakness Probables

Postby TJ » Mon May 04, 2015 9:21 pm

Might as well start thinking about the Preakness, it's just 5 days away:>) TJ

This is the official entries for the Preakness, post positions to follow. TJ
American Pharoah
Firing Line
Dortmund
Divining Rod
Danzig Moon
Tale of Verve
Bodhisattva
Mr. Z
Last edited by TJ on Wed May 13, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: Preakness Probables

Postby Cree » Tue May 05, 2015 5:08 am

Possibly Stanford.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue May 05, 2015 5:25 am

Cree wrote:Possibly Stanford.

Hi Cree,
Yes, I forgot all about him all ready:>) Take a wild guess who else is mulling over the Preakness, Lukas and Mr. Z. I will edit the above to keep the list current as changes come in. TJ.....
PS, You're right, Pletcher originally was going to the Woody Stephens, but he is now considering CE for the Preakness after talking it over with Elliot Walden (WinStar president)....guess he came out of the race in great shape?

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Tue May 05, 2015 7:24 am

And now it seems International Star is out. He has an ankle chip.
This is quite the dance.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue May 05, 2015 7:53 am

Cree wrote:And now it seems International Star is out. He has an ankle chip.
This is quite the dance.

Hi Cree,
He didn't get to the track while at CD for a couple days prior to the Derby and they kept saying he was fine. At first they said a quarter crack, now it's a floating chip that must be removed. That's something else that needs to be addressed, because most trainers never let on when one of the contenders isn't doing well. After the Derby Baffert said that Dortmund had a bout with colic the Saturday before the Derby. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue May 05, 2015 4:38 pm

This is quite the dance.

Hi Cree,
Somebody had their head up their....never mind. Now International Star is diagnosed with a hairline fracture of his left knee. First they thought it was a quarter crack, then a floating chip, now a hairline fracture of his knee?? Crazy. TJ
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... ional-star

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue May 05, 2015 7:24 pm

TJ wrote:
This is quite the dance.

Hi Cree,
Somebody had their head up their....never mind. Now International Star is diagnosed with a hairline fracture of his left knee. First they thought it was a quarter crack, then a floating chip, now a hairline fracture of his knee?? Crazy. TJ

Maybe he has all three. All those things seem to be quite different from each other. Why can't they figure it out?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed May 06, 2015 5:55 am

geowarrior wrote:
TJ wrote:
This is quite the dance.

Hi Cree,

Maybe he has all three. All those things seem to be quite different from each other. Why can't they figure it out?

Hi Geo,
Maybe he does have all three and all the problems were focused in his left front leg....the heat in his quarter, the chip in his ankle and the fracture in his knee. The problems all being in his left fore, obviously is the reason why he always came from out of the clouds to run down his competition. Yet it just makes no sense that they never had an inkling concerning any one of these injuries till the morning of the Derby. Not to mention when he failed to appear for training at CD, they insisted that he was fine. It's obvious they weren't being forthright about this horses condition. Just glad the state vet picked up on it when he jogged the morning of the Derby, or this may not have had a happy ending. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Wed May 06, 2015 6:07 am

This whole thing stinks. I can understand missing ONE small injury, but three? This reminds me of that poor little colt Vicars In Trouble who ran himself into the ground in the Breeders Cup last year.
I read an article that owners like Ramsey are good for the game....I'd like to know what grass they've been smoking.

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Wed May 06, 2015 7:46 am

I wonder if he was moving a little differently to protect the knee and that caused the heat in his foot? (I don't think they ever said for sure that there was a quarter crack or an abscess, just that there was some heat in the left quarter.) From what I read, they seemed pretty surprised that the chip could be the cause as it was so tiny. Maybe they simply expanded their search from there and found the fracture.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed May 06, 2015 6:39 pm

pfrsue wrote:I wonder if he was moving a little differently to protect the knee and that caused the heat in his foot? (I don't think they ever said for sure that there was a quarter crack or an abscess, just that there was some heat in the left quarter.) From what I read, they seemed pretty surprised that the chip could be the cause as it was so tiny. Maybe they simply expanded their search from there and found the fracture.

Hi Sue,
How you doing? Bottom line....there was something going on there and probably for a long time, don't forget he missed training one day leading to the Derby which started this thing. Ramsey said it was a quarter crack (which is nothing like an abscess) (http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/internatio ... d=30755362 ) when he was scratched from the Derby, so someone either told him or he assumed. A chip, which is usually floating in and out of the ankle joint will one day be bothersome and the next not....usually treated with hyaloronic acid, a viscous substance that will slow the floating chips ability to enter the joint. On further examination they decided it was a knee fracture. If you are a trainer, you know the difference between a foot issue, an ankle issue or a knee issue. The way they walk, the way they move when galloping, the way they react to a hoof test etc....someone missed the boat and at that level, it just doesn't happen. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 09, 2015 8:26 am

Two more "possibles" just threw their hat into the ring, Tale of Verve and Grand Bili. Danzig Moon's connection's confirmed today he will start in the Preakness. I will edit them in up top. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun May 10, 2015 10:23 am

Preakness Update:
Mr. Z is out by order of Mr.Z:>) Ahmed Zayat wants to find a race that will be easier on him to build his confidence. Glad he put the skids on Lukas, because if he had his druthers Mr. Z would be running.
Tale of Verve worked a strong 5/8ths (1:00.40 seconds) at CD and he is now a confirmed starter for the Preakness Stakes. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun May 10, 2015 5:04 pm

Bodhisattva now a conformed starter in the Preakness. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon May 11, 2015 6:48 am

Stanford is supposed to be a confirmed starter for the Preakness, but he should have worked over the weekend and did not? He also should have worked back on 5/9 after his 5/2 breeze at CD and didn't....seems to me, he might have a problem? There's just two days left till the Preakness entries are drawn (Wed.), so what's the hold up in declaring all the possibles "in" or "out"? If they are unsure at this point, you don't belong in the race anyway? TJ