The GR II Peter Pan Stakes

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR II Peter Pan Stakes

Postby TJ » Wed May 06, 2015 7:37 pm

A rather poor edition of the Peter Pan Stakes which has been used as a stepping stone to he Belmont Stake, doesn't get the blood boiling.TJ
3rd Race. (C6) Approx Post 2:22PM STAKES
THE PETER PAN
Grade II - $200,000
Purse $200,000 (Up to $32,000 NYSBFOA) One Mile And One Eighth
FOR THREE YEAR OLDS.
1 Wolf Man Rocket(L) Ch.c.3 120 Ortiz, Jr., I Frank Fletcher Racing Op Baffert, Bob
2 Madefromlucky(L) Ch.c.3 116 Castellano, J Cheyenne Stables, LLC Pletcher, Todd Blk-Off
3 Conquest Curlinate(S)(L) Gr/ro.c.3 116 Bridgmohan, S Conquest Stables Casse, Mark
4 Two Weeks Off(L) Dk B/ Br.c.3 116 Velazquez, J Starlight Racing Pletcher, Todd
5 Tiz Shea D(L) B.c.3 116 Lezcano, J Wachtel Stable Mott, William
http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewe ... param3=621

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Re: The GR II Peter Pan Stakes

Postby geowarrior » Wed May 06, 2015 7:40 pm

Hi TJ. The pp link doesn't work.

It's certainly a small field but I quite like several of these horses. I've had my eye on Conquest Curlinate for a while and I think he's an improving horse.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed May 06, 2015 7:48 pm

geowarrior wrote:Hi TJ. The pp link doesn't work.

It's certainly a small field but I quite like several of these horses. I've had my eye on Conquest Curlinate for a while and I think he's an improving horse.

Hi Geo,
Yes I remember you liked him and he lived up to your expectations. Try this link, but it will be a bit of a journey. Find Pletcher, then click on the Ultimate PP's when you see Madefromlucky, guess they don't want to make finding the free PP's easy. TJ
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatc ... mmary.html

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Thu May 07, 2015 10:03 am

Found it! Thanks TJ.

Yes, Conquest Curlinate is my pick of this bunch. He is solid at a mile and one eighth. I would not be surprised if they were thinking Belmont for him.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri May 08, 2015 2:02 pm

I concur, Conquest Curlinate.
Casse has a nice colt there.

I also like the Mott colt, Tiz Shea D. Looks to have room for improvement, maybe was in over his head in the Wood.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri May 08, 2015 3:23 pm

Madefromlucky
Wolf Man Rocket
Two Weeks Off

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 09, 2015 4:08 pm

Here's the finish and the replay is below....Conquest Curlinate sure is a big ol' lumbering type, thanks Geo and Cree, with both of you on him I covered the exacta:>)
Madefromlucky
Conquest Curlinate
Two Weeks Off

http://www1.drf.com/displayVideo.do?tra ... ountry=USA

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat May 09, 2015 7:45 pm

Nice job TJ.
I think the rider needed to move a little earlier with CC to get him going!
Nice win by Madefromlucky.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 09, 2015 10:52 pm

Cree wrote:Nice job TJ.
I think the rider needed to move a little earlier with CC to get him going!
Nice win by Madefromlucky.

Hi Cree,
No doubt he needed to move sooner....but I think that's just who he is. He's got that one pace and maintains it throughout, ya' cud' probably hit him with the kitchen sink to get him going and he'd still lumber along:>)
The Peter Pan has long been a prep for the Belmont Stakes and his lumbering style could find him a bit closer throughout with the slower pace going a mile and a half....it could just play right into his hand. Maybe another Sarava in the making and he'd pay the same big price ($142.50). Pletcher always said Madefromlucky is a mile and a half horse...but I think Curlinate could handle him going that distance? TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun May 10, 2015 6:53 am

The whole time I watched that race I thought Conquest Curlinate NEEDS to be in the Belmont. The mile and a half gives him a good amount of time to get rolling.
He's an Ontario-bred too, so I wonder if they are thinking of sending him to any of the Canadian-bred races???

**I rewatched it, and the rider was working on him, but the horse was just doing his thing. Once they straightened though he was inching up with every stride. 1 mile and an eighth is a sprint to him.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun May 10, 2015 10:41 am

Cree wrote:The whole time I watched that race I thought Conquest Curlinate NEEDS to be in the Belmont. The mile and a half gives him a good amount of time to get rolling.
He's an Ontario-bred too, so I wonder if they are thinking of sending him to any of the Canadian-bred races???

**I rewatched it, and the rider was working on him, but the horse was just doing his thing. Once they straightened though he was inching up with every stride. 1 mile and an eighth is a sprint to him.

Hi Cree,
Like I said, hitting him in the head with kitchen sink won't make him move along. What appears to look like a strong closing move is actually his his ability to slowly but steadily increase his speed the further he goes. After watching his race and noting it was the first time he ran a one turn mile and an eight....the switch to a two turn mile and a half with the sweeping turns shouldn't hinder his lumbering pace. He should be able to increase his speed easily making the final turn and if he can make his fastest 3/8ths his final 3/8ths of the Belmont Stakes....we could be looking at a very fast time from him going a mile and a half at Big Sandy. TJ

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Mon May 11, 2015 10:36 am

I came on here with the intention of saying that I thought Conquest Curlinate needed a longer distance - but you guys already have it covered.

I don't remember him being TC nominated. How much does it cost to supplement to the Belmont?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon May 11, 2015 7:26 pm

geowarrior wrote:I came on here with the intention of saying that I thought Conquest Curlinate needed a longer distance - but you guys already have it covered.

I don't remember him being TC nominated. How much does it cost to supplement to the Belmont?

Hi Geo,
No, he wasn't nominated to the TC. He was actually supplemented to the Peter Pan as he was never nominated to that either. He's probably coming on in leaps and bounds and has out performed their expectations of him. This season the supplemental nomination fee to the Belmont Stakes is $75,000. TJ

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue May 12, 2015 3:20 pm

So, is it worth the 75k? I think I probably would risk it if I was the owner.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue May 12, 2015 3:53 pm

geowarrior wrote:So, is it worth the 75k? I think I probably would risk it if I was the owner.

Hi Geo,
I would imagine they chose the Peter Pan because it is a stepping stone to the Belmont Stakes....$75,000 isn't much if they truly believe in their horse. They have plenty time to decide and I'm sure they will wait and see how the race shapes up since the money is due at entry time. If he was mine, I'd go off that last race, especially if Rosario stays on board. TJ