Eight to the Bar

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

madelyn

Eight to the Bar

Postby madelyn » Fri May 01, 2015 1:38 pm

My big stubborn horse, whose boisterously expressed opinion of himself FAR outweighs his talents, makes his first start of the season on Sunday 5/3 in the last at Belterra Park. We're catching a ride with my pal Karyn, who has one in the same race. I had Perry Ouzts aboard until the draw - his agent put him on a "better" horse after agreeing to ride mine the day before. After scrambling around (my second choice was Jack Gilligan a great kid but I figured he won't have his bug by Sunday so any advantage would be lost) I got Yuri Yaranga (purported to be able to ride the hair off your horse. I was FLOORED this morning, though, to see us as second choice at 7/2. In fairness to ETTB, the track at High Pointe where he is training has been as deep as the ocean and everyone's times are awfully slow, and he has been training like a monster. He jigs and pulls all the way back to the barn no matter where we send him or for how long. Maybe by the time he is 9 he will be able to carry Tevez's hay bag.

I am a bit pumped with my other two. I have 4yo Prince of Spades and 3yo Musica Con Brio coming along in the wings.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: Eight to the Bar

Postby Cree » Fri May 01, 2015 4:11 pm

Good luck! Sounds like a real character.

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Fri May 01, 2015 7:36 pm

Ok Madelyn I just spent some time going over his career so far and a few things come to mind. Your horse has had a nice rest since his last race which can only be in his favour as he ran his first 18 races in one long campaign and now I think he will have matured both mentally and physically. After a long lay off I see that he has only worked twice back and is going a mile already. I only ever did that once with a talented ,lightly framed mare named La Picotte and she galloped so strongly that she never needed much breezing. I see that you have not resorted to blinkers yet, have you tried them in the morning? Tevez did very little in his first 4 starts but after a jump out of the gates wearing them he became very focused and professional. Your guy has unlimited stamina and after 5 or 6 races this year he may well be seasoned enough to try marathon distances if he relaxes in a race. Ohio, W.V. and Pa all write cheap longer races and it's always fun to try those . In other words Madelyn, I like your chances this year and if you give your guy time to come around and develop then you might have some fun. I for one hope that you enjoy this year especially after all you have endured to get this far. Best wishes, Wilf.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat May 02, 2015 6:25 am

Thanks so much Wilf! I sincerely appreciate your time and your input. ETTB is what I call a brick horse. He was built one brick at a time but now nothing ever falls off. He came to the farm early November and kept himself racing fit tearing around my big hilly fields. First week of March back at the training center he got my vet to just drop her jaw he had not lost an ounce of anything and is finally now starting to fill out. He will be 5 on June 17th. He trains like he never stopped. He is never tired. He has been doing a lot at High Pointe like 2-minute licks up the poly hill because March was so awful weather wise and is more fit than just the two works would show. He resents change - the one time I tried a tongue tie he got it off before he got to the gate. He is a horse who has to have "the same" everything. He quit sightseeing after his third race. The race at Belterra will be a freshener for him and then this summer it is back to Ellis Park where he went last summer five times and cashed five checks. We tried the grass (KY downs) not his thing; we tried a different track (Churchill) which he apparently doesn't care for. If you were at one of the spots with a marathon I would be happy to send him to try one of those - he'd probably have to go there before and gallop for a bit before race day in case he needed to get over the change of venue.

After 6 months or so on the waiting list I got a turnout paddock at High Pointe so now each of my horses gets out a couple of days a week for a few hours to roll and graze which seems to help them immensely. This big horse (he is at least 17h) spends his time furiously bucking and galloping though and has to have his time limited and monitored. He is a horse who has protocols. We usually put ice boots on the three days prior to a race and he has to have a 30 minute turnout the night before he runs. I think when we are done on the flat he would make a helluva chaser. He can get all four hooves five feet off the ground.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sat May 02, 2015 10:45 am

Good luck Madelyn. Looking forward to an ongoing story a la Tevez.

There is probably a waiting list to carry Tevez's hay bag, though!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat May 02, 2015 1:08 pm

Thanks for the good wishes, geo. I need all the help I can get :D I just talked to my groom and ETTB did his usual foolish buck and gallop for 25 minutes in the paddock followed by a bath and 20 minutes in the eurociser/walker. I love Belterra Park because we give lasix at the farm and don't have to be there until two hours prior. It's a lot less stressful on everyone, horse included, to not sit/stand around for FOUR HOURS.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Sun May 03, 2015 4:09 am

Good luck today.
I also have one of my horses at High Pointe...fired a bullet there yesterday...it is deep but I think that sets them up well when you're looking to bring them back off of time off. It is convenient to a lot of places.
I agree that some horses like CD and others don't. I have one that loves it and one that can't stand up there.
I second the blinkers comment.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon May 04, 2015 6:03 am

Thanks he ran well for first time back. The track was exceptionally deep. One in our race got to the other side of the gate to the barn area and collapsed. I think it was Bull Gato. Initially he was looking pretty bad the way his legs were clenched up and they were cold hosing him. It wasn't that HOT outside! My pal heard the connection talking a bit later (they were a few stalls down in the receiving barn) and it was still iffy if they were going to put him down.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat May 16, 2015 11:07 am

Well back in tomorrow similar bunch. It's the old Barn 4 reunion with my former barnmates (Karyn Wittek and Gary Skinner) making up half the field with my horse. He's fitter and looking much tighter; he starts in cheaters for the first time. He is a horse who doesn't give much just training on the farm; he has to race to fitness. First race. Hope it's pouring today so they have to pack that track down.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sat May 16, 2015 2:03 pm

Good luck Madelyn!!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat May 16, 2015 4:26 pm

Thanks geo, 'preciate it.