140th Running of GR I Preakness Stakes

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Re: 140th Running of GR I Preakness Stakes

Postby geowarrior » Sat May 16, 2015 3:41 pm

Tale of Verve interrupted my exacta and trifecta. I'm not loving that horse at the moment.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 16, 2015 3:49 pm

geowarrior wrote:Tale of Verve interrupted my exacta and trifecta. I'm not loving that horse at the moment.

Hi geo,
I saw that, too bad. That guy (Dallas Stewart) ran 2nd at big prices in the two previews running of the Derby. He unfortunately didn't draw in off the AE's this year. So he went and did it again, only this time in the Preakness. TJ

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sat May 16, 2015 3:53 pm

TJ

Firing Line slipped behind at the break and after being gathered up by Stevens he was very wide going into the first turn, and it does appear that he did not like the footing very much. I just wish I had included Shug's horse in leg 3 (Dixie) of my pick 4, but then we both know that hind sight is way better than 20/20 after the race has been run. And you were correct about the slop helping AP, maybe the racing gods are on his side.

DDT

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 16, 2015 4:04 pm

DDT wrote:TJ

Firing Line slipped behind at the break and after being gathered up by Stevens he was very wide going into the first turn, and it does appear that he did not like the footing very much. I just wish I had included Shug's horse in leg 3 (Dixie) of my pick 4, but then we both know that hind sight is way better than 20/20 after the race has been run. And you were correct about the slop helping AP, maybe the racing gods are on his side.

DDT

Hi DDT,
He's a lucky horse.....but he's also a very, very good one. I was just glad Espinoza went on with him out of the gate. That's how you ride the best horse in the Preakness. Take it to them and watch them fold behind you. Great race and had to be a defining moment for Victor....hope he remembers that when he gets to the Belmont Stakes.
I saw you had a tough beat in the pick 4...I'm alive in the Pick-3 with the 1,2 and 4. TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat May 16, 2015 4:06 pm

Is it just me or do we have different TV sets?
Are you guys watching the same races I watch?

Why did Marteen take Dortmund back and then 5 wide?
He should have put AP through the rail if he was riding to win, he broke well and could have gotten ahead of him or at least bumped him like he did Shared Belief.

For my eyes Dortmund wasn't put in to the race, a race that was run on a track favouring speed.

If I was Kaleem Shah I would move my horses from Baffert, that was a joke.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 16, 2015 4:20 pm

dublino wrote:Is it just me or do we have different TV sets?
Are you guys watching the same races I watch?

Why did Marteen take Dortmund back and then 5 wide?
He should have put AP through the rail if he was riding to win, he broke well and could have gotten ahead of him or at least bumped him like he did Shared Belief.

For my eyes Dortmund wasn't put in to the race, a race that was run on a track favouring speed.

If I was Kaleem Shah I would move my horses from Baffert, that was a joke.

Hi Dub,
I disagree...Dortmund had an excuse in the Derby in my opinion I feel he bounced off his big number in the SA Derby. Martin Garcia rode a flawless ride on the front end today prior to the Preakness....That big old horse just couldn't handle the going, as Firing Line also couldn't after slipping and being eased. AP loves the mud and most likely was the only one who truly did in the race. TJ

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sat May 16, 2015 4:45 pm

Dub

The reason he took him back is because he could not match the speed in the first half mile, and as with the other Derby runners, he was a pretty tired runner after 6 furlongs. Watch the replay and you will see that they were all trying to gain position, Churchill was a very tiring track on Derby day and it is a tribute to AP considering he was alone under the wire ears pricked and looking for more.

DDT

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat May 16, 2015 5:37 pm

AP just floated over that going, got into rhythm and relaxed. I think he prefers being on the front end, but he's not a one-trick pony.
Dortmund looked very uncomfortable, I definitely think he didn't like the mud. Might be time for a break, he's been going pretty hard all year.
I felt bad for Firing Line, he lost all chance at the break. Hope he comes out of it alright.
One of these days I will remember to throw money on a Stewart horse :?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 16, 2015 6:12 pm

Cree wrote:AP just floated over that going, got into rhythm and relaxed. I think he prefers being on the front end, but he's not a one-trick pony.
Dortmund looked very uncomfortable, I definitely think he didn't like the mud. Might be time for a break, he's been going pretty hard all year.
I felt bad for Firing Line, he lost all chance at the break. Hope he comes out of it alright.
One of these days I will remember to throw money on a Stewart horse :?

Hi Cree,
Yes I agree with your assessment....the race was ruined for all the contenders except AP. Dortmund was running wide throughout, it seemed like he didn't like the mud getting kicked back at him. When Garcia realized this, he took him outside then he started to move up again. By that time he was spent after going wide for so long, in addition his being tentative over that surface. I'm sure Firing Line will be sore after the way his front legs were splayed out in front of him.
The track variant went from 1 and 2 during the day to 17 for the Preakness and the 14th race. The track was playing 3 and 2/5ths seconds slower after the deluge. Those fractions he posted over that track was nothing short of phenomenal. That's why the race fell apart the way it did and the closers were the only ones left standing far behind AP. It should be interesting to see who will return in the Belmont out of the Preakness. I guess the 2nd horse and possibly Dortmund, he bounced in the Derby in my opinion then had no shot over that track in the Preakness? I think we will have a full field in the Belmont Stakes. It's gonna be another great race with Frosted, Carpe Diem, Materiality, Madefromlucky, Frammento, Keen Ice, Conquest Curlinate and Mubtaahij waiting in the wings....whoops don't want to forget Mr. Z:>) TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat May 16, 2015 6:19 pm

I just read elsewhere that American Pharoah's breeding rights have been sold already. So, I would assume he won't run after this year? That figures.

We've all been skeptical of his chances at 10 furlongs...how do we feel about 12? I just don't know. If he gets out on the front end alone, it might be all over before anyone wakes up!

I saw Frosted has been working up a storm at Belmont. 3 weeks to go!!!

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 16, 2015 6:47 pm

Cree wrote:I just read elsewhere that American Pharoah's breeding rights have been sold already. So, I would assume he won't run after this year? That figures.

We've all been skeptical of his chances at 10 furlongs...how do we feel about 12? I just don't know. If he gets out on the front end alone, it might be all over before anyone wakes up!

Hi Cree,
Didn't hear anything about breeding rights being sold? If he can win all the big ones this year and the BC Classic, he won't have anything to prove. It's very risky when you have a horse as talented as he is.....the insurance premiums aren't worth running at 4 and he'll get a very big stud fee off his 3YO campaign alone.
My concern is Espinoza, I saw him get CC beat in the Belmont last year becaues he didn't ride him the way he did AP in the Preakness today. If he tries to rate him he'll get beat, if he sends him he will win.....those were the same words I said about him today. When Victor got the slop and the front end today the race was over. I said it before, every TC winner I ever saw, took it to the field in the Preakness and the Belmont Stakes....today when he took it to them early on, they were all spent trying to keep pace....the rest just sucked up behind him....far behind him. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 16, 2015 7:18 pm

Here's the replay...watch Firing Line's break and see how Garcia immediately realized he had to take Dortmund back and outside of the kickback. Neither horse ran his race. TJ
http://www1.drf.com/displayVideo.do?tra ... ountry=USA

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun May 17, 2015 7:11 am

American Pharoah posted a 102 beyer over the quagmire the Preakness was run over. I personally believed it could have been higher...but that number was hard to access because of the sudden change creating only two races to fall into this track variant. His fractions over that going were phenomenal and it proved he is a superior mudder. Unfortunately none of the others could handle the going considering the two major contenders, Firing Line and Dortmund dropped from consistent triple digit beyers, to approximately 70 for Dortmund (and his giant feet having a tough time cutting through that mess) and no real figure for Firing Line, after being eased and beaten nearly 50 lengths (approx. a 2 beyer). TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed May 20, 2015 5:16 am

TJ wrote:
Cree wrote:I just read elsewhere that American Pharoah's breeding rights have been sold already. So, I would assume he won't run after this year? That figures.

Hi Cree,
Didn't hear anything about breeding rights being sold? If he can win all the big ones this year and the BC Classic, he won't have anything to prove. It's very risky when you have a horse as talented as he is.....the insurance premiums aren't worth running at 4 and he'll get a very big stud fee off his 3YO campaign alone.
My concern is Espinoza, I saw him get CC beat in the Belmont last year becaues he didn't ride him the way he did AP in the Preakness today. If he tries to rate him he'll get beat, if he sends him he will win.....those were the same words I said about him today. When Victor got the slop and the front end today the race was over. I said it before, every TC winner I ever saw, took it to the field in the Preakness and the Belmont Stakes....today when he took it to them early on, they were all spent trying to keep pace....the rest just sucked up behind him....far behind him. TJ

Hi Cree,
This was just released this morning from Zayat. The good news is he will stand stud in America, the bad news is he won't race as a 4YO. Read the article below. TJ
http://www.drf.com/news/zayat-sells-bre ... an-pharoah