Belmont Stakes Probables/Possibles

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Re: Belmont Stakes Probables/Possibles

Postby TJ » Thu May 28, 2015 4:47 am

Conquest Curlinate is out of the Belmont Stakes. I was wondering where he was yesterday? TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu May 28, 2015 5:22 am

Here we go again....now McPeek says Truth or Else is a probable for the Belmont Stakes. Though he has shocked us in the past winning with Sarava? TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu May 28, 2015 5:32 am

Here's the updated field of 10 probables for the Belmont Stakes. Hope it doesn't turn into a runaway revolving door with constant changes like we saw in the Derby. TJ

American Pharoah....Bob Baffert, Victor Espinoza

Carpe Diem.............Todd Pletcher, undecided

Truth or Else...............Ken McPeek, Edgar Prado

Frammento..............Nick Zito, Mike Smith

Frosted....................Kiaran McLaughlin, Joel Rosario

Keen Ice..................Dale Romans, Kent Desormeaux

Madefromlucky.........Todd Pletcher, undecided

Materiality................Todd Pletcher, undecided

Mubtaahij.................Michael de Kock, Irad Ortiz Jr.

Tale of Verve............Dallas Stewart, Gary Stevens

Update, edited in past performances: http://www.brisnet.com/brisnet_promos/B ... akes15.pdf
Last edited by TJ on Thu May 28, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu May 28, 2015 6:17 am

Thursday (5/28)
Belmont
Materiality galloped a mile and five eights.
Carpe Diem jogged a mile and galloped just shy of a mile and a half. According to Mike Welsch he had his best morning yet. Carpe Diem and all of Pletcher's Belmont contenders will breeze tomorrow. This may clear up the Belmont picture after they breeze.
Tale of Verve also jogged one mile then galloped a mile....he did have a hard day yesterday possibly accounting for the short mile gallop and will breeze over the weekend.

CD
American Pharoah jogged a mile.
Keen Ice walked today following his breeze yesterday.

Latest Belmont possible Truth or Else, Won an entry level Allowance race at Belmont Park on 5/22. That gave him 2 wins over the Belmont track...one more then Madefromlucky. These two are the only entrants who have won over the track.

Madefromlucky, Mubtaahij, Frosted and Frammento still unaccounted for. Will update if they appear? Keep watch here, yesterday's no show produced Belmont Stakes withdrawal, Conquest Curlinate. I wouldn't consider Frammento as he's being ignored because he's training at Saratoga. He is scheduled to breeze May 30th over the training track then ship to Belmont Park June 3rd. TJ

Madefromlucky was sent to the Belmont training track by himself for his gallop early this morning??
Mubtaahij came out after the renovation break jogging 7f and galloping a mile...he was full of himself and hard held.
Frosted also came out after the break and galloped an easy mile and five eights, he will breeze tomorrow.
Frammento rest assured he did his thing this morning as well over the Saratoga training track (Oklahoma). TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Thu May 28, 2015 8:00 am

TJ wrote:Hi Dub,
That would be "THE" Queen, thank you very much:>) TJ

Yeah yeah either way its sounds like a blue pill anyway.....

How is Frosted doing and when is the draw, next wed?
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu May 28, 2015 8:41 am

dublino wrote:
TJ wrote:Hi Dub,
That would be "THE" Queen, thank you very much:>) TJ

Yeah yeah either way its sounds like a blue pill anyway.....

How is Frosted doing and when is the draw, next wed?

Hi Dub,
Truth be told, I met THE QUEEN at Bingo when I was 22, when she came to America to watch one of her horses run. She did well at Bingo, so I had to stay close, so I could improve my Bingo game:>)
Entries will be drawn on Wednesday, June 3rd....Frosted has been going through similar easy gallops of 1 5/8ths miles over the main track at Belmont Park. He is scheduled to breeze tomorrow (Friday 5/29) along with Materiality, Madefromlucky and Carpe Diem. Possible's this weekend are Tale of Verve (Friday or Saturday) Mubtaahij (because he loves to any day of the week:>) and Frammento scheduled to breeze over the Oklahoma training track at Saratoga Springs Saturday (5/30). So we have another interesting training schedule to look forward to the tail end of the week. Pletcher should confirm shortly after his 3 breeze, who will ride his horses in the Belmont Stakes? TJ

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Thu May 28, 2015 9:42 am

Still mourning over Conquest Curlinate, but if he wasn't training at his best, then it was the best decision.

I really thought he was made for the Belmont though.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu May 28, 2015 9:58 am

geowarrior wrote:Still mourning over Conquest Curlinate, but if he wasn't training at his best, then it was the best decision.

I really thought he was made for the Belmont though.

Hi Geo,
Yes I agree....but when he failed to appear yesterday and on other occasions since his breeze, there was a reason why....obvious he's had issues all along and probably cropped up after his last sub 1:00 5/8ths work. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Thu May 28, 2015 1:56 pm

Dang! I wanted that big grey horse to win it. I was looking for a big upset.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri May 29, 2015 5:18 am

Friday (May/29)
Belmont:
Carpe Diem and Madefromlucky worked 5/8ths in company. Carpe Diem backing up to the pole with the pony and John Velazquez in the irons while Madefromlucky made it to the pole on his own before the two worked 5/8ths from the 1/2 mile pole. They went along in 13, 24.3 before Carpe Diem separated himself a length and a half from Madefromlucky after getting his 1/2 in 47.3. Carpe Diem drifted in near the wire once clear, was straightened away and completed his 5/8ths in 1:00.1, as Madefromlucky got his 1/2 in 47.4 and finished 5/8ths in 1:00.3. Both galloped out 3/4's, Carpe Diem in 1:13.4 and Madefromlucky about 2 lengths behind in 1:14.1.
Materiality Worked a 1/2 in company with his regular mate, Stanford. Materiality had JV in the irons going off in 24.2, 47.3 and galloped out 5/8ths in 59.4 pulled up 3/4's in 1:13.3...nice move but couldn't get past Stanford while being urged to do so.
Frosted worked a 1/2 in company with the older Tamaruz going 47.4...they completed the 5/8ths gallop out in a 1:00.1 and pulled up 3/4's in 1:14.4
Tale of Verve (to breeze today or tomorrow?)
Mubtaahij (will have 1 final breeze this weekend?)
Truth or Else (nothing scheduled, raced twice this month....last being 1 week ago, most likely gallop?)

CD:
American Pharoah jogged over to the gate, stood in quietly for about a minute then was backed out and led around the gate by an assistant starter, before galloping what looked like less then 1 mile. His trusty pony Smokey always close by:>)
Keen Ice jogged a mile the wrong way.

Frammento, you'd think he was in Siberia the way they've ignored his Belmont preparation, he's just 4 1/2 hours north of Belmont Park. Anyone hear of a cell phone....how about a little coverage, after all his trainer did destroy two TC bids?? Would assume he will gallop today for his scheduled breeze tomorrow?

No word on Tale of Verve, Mubtaahij or Truth or Else this morning. Most likely all 3 galloped? NYRA not like CD who keep you informed what every Belmont contender is doing whether it be gallops, breezes, walking or jogging. Will update if anything comes in. Tale of Verve was originally scheduled to breeze today, I wonder if his last move went too fast and they decided to give him another day to come back to himself? TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri May 29, 2015 4:16 pm

Here's 11 reasons why Kenny McPeek will enter the Truth or Else in the Belmont Stakes....on Friday, McPeek sent out this text message as to why he’s running. TJ

1) My horse loves the Belmont track. [He has] two starts and two wins over a dry Belmont.
2) [He is out of a] Colonial Affair mare and should get the distance
3) He is a very sturdy horse. He eats well and is completely sound. He’s a throwback type of horse.
4) We’ve got nothing to lose, they pay down to eighth place
5) Edgar Prado has been there before and he knows the track and distance
6) The Truth Or Else is bigger and stronger than Sarava and Atigun (third in 2012 Belmont)
7) Confidence builder last race in a good time and excellent speed figure. His last two races set him up for this.
8.) Harold and Helen Lerner are from the New York area. This would be special for them.
9) The Truth Or Else has been based at Belmont most of his career, we don’t have to ship him.
10) Weird things happen in the Belmont. Never duck one horse. American Pharoah could possibly not handle the surface.
11) I’m completely crazy, but I have no fear of failure. We only live once. Let’s do this!

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri May 29, 2015 5:39 pm

I do not like The Truth Or Else to win, but I think he definitely has a shot to fill the super.
McPeek places them well, I do like his reasons.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri May 29, 2015 7:41 pm

Cree wrote:I do not like The Truth Or Else to win, but I think he definitely has a shot to fill the super.
McPeek places them well, I do like his reasons.

Hi Cree,
He's done this before...and I think I told you once you have to watch him with big prices? The stage is set just like 13 years ago when Sarava won the Belmont Stakes for McPeek and Edgar Prado....that year War Emblem, Baffert and Espinoza lost their bid for the Triple Crown.
I agree it would be a stretch for him to win this one. What worries me most about this years TC attempt is Espinoza's terrible lifetime record racing at Belmont Park. I think he's 2 for 62 or something close to that. Victor is a great guy and rides well everywhere he goes ....but not at Belmont Park. His last two attempts to sweep the TC went like this:

War Emblem..... Stumbled badly then bumped with Magic Weisner at the start, rushed up between horses, was under a snug hold and rank for three-quarters of a mile, moved through along the rail to gain a brief lead nearing the half mile pole, remained a factor to the the turn and gave way....

California Chrome....stumbled outward, brushed with Matterhorn at the start, showed no ill effects and settled into a forward position, took the two path around the clubhouse turn, awaited an opportunity to move further towards the outside making his way down the backside, nudged aside Wicked Strong to take over the fourth position with five furlongs to go, continued from well off the rail on the far turn, ranged up and was set down coming five wide into the stretch, failed to pick up the pace appreciably, held on well to gain an equal share of the last major check

Hopefully he will read these comments over and over again and see the pattern and the errors of his previous TC tries....because in both attempts his horse broke bad, then bumped with a nearby horse. Then rushed up, or took the lead then then took a hold and waited till he had nothing left at the finish. As a said in the Preakness....if Espinoza goes to the lead he will win and he did. If he goes to the lead in the Belmont Stakes he will win.....because both of his previous TC attempts were lost after a poor break and bumping with a nearby rival. If Victor tries to rate him he will get beat....it's not like any other speed horse would commit suicide to run AP into the ground. Any speed horse that wins the race will win it wire to wire....if all the speed horses try to nurse their way around the track none will win....the speed that commits is the speed that will win. If no one commits to the lead, a closer will win the race. TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat May 30, 2015 1:41 am

Wasn't Secretariats splits 1:14 Frosted has been hitting this mark nearly every workout, for me he is primed and granted a fair track he will win.

I seen an AP work on the bloodhorse his back left leg looks funny - is it an injury or just a strange action?
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 30, 2015 6:53 am

Saturday (5/30)
Belmont:
Mubtaahij worked well with Irad Ortiz in the irons...going 5/8ths in 1:00.4. He switched on Que at the eighth pole, while galloping out 3/4's in 1:14 and pulled up 7/8ths in 1:28.74.
Tale of Verve worked a solid 5/8ths in 59, with an unnamed workmate who he trounced. Showing more speed then he does in his races while getting his last 1/2 mile in 47.3 with little to no gallop out.CD:
Madefromlucky, Materiality, Carpe Diem, Frosted all walk today.
CD:
American Pharoah and Keen Ice both jogged back to the wire and AP galloped a mile and four eights. Keen Ice galloped 2 miles. UPDATE AP will breeze Monday June 1st. Keen Ice will breeze Tuesday June 2nd.
Saratoga:
Frammento worked a solid 1/2 in company with maiden Hard Scuffle easily besting his over matched workmate. He went in fractions of 24.08, 48.19 and galloped out 5/8ths in 1:02.32 over the Oklahoma training track, just across the street from Saratoga's main track. Decent move for a deep closer, going along in 12's to the eighth.

Truth or Else seems like mums the word with him, since a breeze may not be upcoming? He's most likely galloping and unless he beezes we won't hear much about what he's up to? TJ
Last edited by TJ on Sat May 30, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.