I'm finally a part owner

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Toccet02
Leading Sire

I'm finally a part owner

Postby Toccet02 » Thu May 28, 2015 12:20 pm

Haven't posted much here recently,but thought a few folks might like to know that I have purchased a 2% share of three well-bred 2YO's, all of whom, if all goes well, are headed for Saratoga. I am psyched and scared. :shock: My goal is to have success so I can invest more money and maybe be a full owner at some point. But I'll make a lot of remote decisions. I'm allergic to horses!! :lol:
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

TJ
Darley line

Re: I'm finally a part owner

Postby TJ » Thu May 28, 2015 12:33 pm

Toccet02 wrote:Haven't posted much here recently,but thought a few folks might like to know that I have purchased a 2% share of three well-bred 2YO's, all of whom, if all goes well, are headed for Saratoga. I am psyched and scared. :shock: My goal is to have success so I can invest more money and maybe be a full owner at some point. But I'll make a lot of remote decisions. I'm allergic to horses!! :lol:

Hi Toccet,
Very happy to hear of your involvement in horse racing. Did you end up with Gary Contessa or another trainer? In any case, I wish you the best of luck and hope your experience will be enjoyable and profitable. TJ

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Thu May 28, 2015 12:36 pm

I did go with Gary--your idea I believe-- and he is as nice as you said and more.

----Arrested Development

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu May 28, 2015 12:43 pm

Toccet02 wrote:I did go with Gary--your idea I believe-- and he is as nice as you said and more.

Hi Toccet,
Yes I did recommend Gary to you. Glad to hear you went that way...he is a decent, honest trainer. TJ
Last edited by TJ on Thu May 28, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brogan
2yo Maiden

Postby Brogan » Thu May 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Toccet02 wrote:Haven't posted much here recently,but thought a few folks might like to know that I have purchased a 2% share of three well-bred 2YO's, all of whom, if all goes well, are headed for Saratoga. I am psyched and scared. :shock: My goal is to have success so I can invest more money and maybe be a full owner at some point. But I'll make a lot of remote decisions. I'm allergic to horses!! :lol:

You're a trainer's favorite type of owner...the kind that won't be around the barn all the time!

Seriously...good luck, and have fun!

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

at only 2%, and with a busy life of my own, and with respect for Gary's insanely busy schedule, I would NEVER be at the barn all the time. :)

----Arrested Development

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Fri May 29, 2015 9:51 am

Congratulations, Toccet! Keep us posted on those babies.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Fri May 29, 2015 1:18 pm

The filly (Alys '13) did a half from the gate today in 48.1...7 best of 28. She broke so fast that the rider's butt fell down on the saddle for a moment...but maybe that was because she also changed leads immediately. Is that a normal thing; to change leads right out of the gate? Might have been her first time. Oh great. Now I'm going to worry about everything. How do full owners DO this! :lol:

----Arrested Development

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri May 29, 2015 2:32 pm

Toccet02 wrote:The filly (Alys '13) did a half from the gate today in 48.1...7 best of 28. She broke so fast that the rider's butt fell down on the saddle for a moment...but maybe that was because she also changed leads immediately. Is that a normal thing; to change leads right out of the gate? Might have been her first time. Oh great. Now I'm going to worry about everything. How do full owners DO this! :lol:

Hi Toccet,
Don't worry about her....she's supposed to break fast because she's bred to be fast:>) Shes by Uncle Mo from Alys (by Dixie Union) who is a 1/2 sister to the precocious Graydar!! The actual work was 49.12 B (7/28)....she worked twice before this on 5/16 a bullet 3/8ths in 36.42 B (1/7) and 5/21 3/8ths in 37.21 B (5/19). Next time tell that kid to grab a handful of mane so she won't leave him behind when she breaks:>) TJ

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:52 pm

sorry, in my enthusiasm I guess I chopped a second off what gary told me! he was kind enough to send a short clip of it. So the lead change not an issue?

----Arrested Development

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri May 29, 2015 4:30 pm

Toccet02 wrote:sorry, in my enthusiasm I guess I chopped a second off what gary told me! he was kind enough to send a short clip of it. So the lead change not an issue?

Hi Toccet,
Hey that was a good work anyway....how many bullets do you want her to get:>) It looked like it was her first breeze out of the gate....so maybe she was just a bit overzealous, shes bred to be real fast. If she continues to switch at the wrong time, it could cause trouble, but I never really heard of one switching coming out of the gate. Unless she hit the side coming out and was off balance...but the rider would have know that? Best thing to do is ask Gary what he thought of it...one question, one answer and the worry is over:>) TJ

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri May 29, 2015 4:50 pm

Hope you enjoy your venture into ownership and end up with lots of winner's circle photos!
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Sat May 30, 2015 10:42 am

I hope you do end in the winner,s circle. Try to enjoy it.

How is that group called ( the syndicate).??

Mahubah you wrote a good article for the bloodhorse (or so)

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Sat May 30, 2015 4:52 pm

Thanks TJ, I did ask but G hasn't answered yet. Gee, what could a major trainer be doing on a weekend I wonder . . . :wink:
Ben, it's not a partnership company really, like Conquest or West point, it's a venture that Gary Contessa does. He retains some ownership of horses and in my case he sold me some of a share he kept for himself. I went to see him last year in person and he was great. Many "models" of ownership available...he really wants people to get into the game. Thanks everybody--I'll keep folks posted,and somehow I think I WILL enjoy!

----Arrested Development

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat May 30, 2015 9:36 pm

Congrats! NY lic owner! :)