Hollywood Park Came Tumbling down this am

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

jellac
Grade I Winner

Hollywood Park Came Tumbling down this am

Postby jellac » Sun May 31, 2015 11:44 am

excerpted from a Bloodhorse post re same:

"....the grandstand of Hollywood Park was demolished the morning of May 31. The 6 a.m. PDT implosion clears the way for a proposed $2 billion football stadium, entertainment, and residential complex."

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... z3bjwXz9Gb

Will always remember my first Breeders Cup experience at Hollywood Park - some highlights:

Flying from Houston on a Southwest flight where fully 40% had the DRF in hand and were excitedly talking about their handicapping thoughts/choices; comparing notes on where staying and 'how' they were involved in thoroughbred horse racing. (Thinking to myself: ''These are MY people!")

The Day Before - Attending a Panel Discussion/Forum with Bob Baffert, Mike Pegram, a breeding farm owner from Maryland who's name escapes me and other panelists of 'owner' or 'trainer' hosted by the CTBA. All the gentlemen were accessible and engaging and gave very honest/direct insight into aspects of 'owning' a thoroughbred racehorse. (I wrote down some notes, drawing a bold square around Baffert's comment at one point "You don't want to be racing with scared money". Thought "Scared Money" would be a good name for our much anticipated 'home-bred'.)

Breeder's Cup Day - Watching FAVORITE TRICK continue his undefeated 2YO ways easily win the Juvenile; thereby qualifying as the odds on early favorite to win the Derby next May. It was really exhilarating for us as our own mare was in foal to an ICECAPADE son standing in Texas and we had "high hopes" of perhaps soon having our own 2YO champion! (I was also excited by having bet the winning exacta in that race with a long shot finishing for second, simply b/c I bet the number in the LA Times that morning instead of from the Program or DRF. Hey I'd rather be lucky by error, than err by being too smart in my handicapping! That incorrectly stated bet ended up paying for our entire trip!). We were seated among a large contingent from Europe, mostly British, racing fans and they went wild when he won. Watching the magnificent SKIP AWAY win the Classic decisively, after really parading to the post like he was the only horse in town. I've never really witnessed another display of such presence in a horse pre-start, except maybe for ZENYATTA.Crowd estimates were over 80,000 in attendance that day.

Going to Hollywood Park the day after for a prearranged visit backside with several S. California trainers - a meeting facilitated again by the CTBA representatives who hosted the 'owners' seminar preceding The Breeders Cup Day. We were introduced to and met with Dallas Keen and Frank Olivares (Yes, Christina Blacker's father) and both were very generous with their time at that busy time in the morning schedule, while we did our best not to intrude or get in the way. They gave us a view of Hollywood Park's facilities from the horseman's viewpoint - I loved the dirt practice track that was used from gallops but not time works in back of Hollywood Park, and I got to observe one of Dallas Keen's horses being scoped after his workout. I also got to see/meet one of my trainer heroes" Jack Van Berg - characteristically on horseback at the break during his horses' morning workouts.

I always enjoyed the way the seagulls would suddenly arrive swooping and laughing over the Hollywood grandstand seats and track when the 'marine layer' would move inland during the afternoon's racing program. The air was suddenly about 10 degrees cooler and a bit humid and the fans reminded of just how close to the Pacific you were seated.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Re: Hollywood Park Came Tumbling down this am

Postby dublino » Sun May 31, 2015 2:21 pm

Nice post.
Edited by Moderator

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:37 pm

Here's a video of the execution. Like watching part of my life be ended by a firing squad.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=76a_1433087963
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Postby Aug27 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:43 pm

OP: your Md breeder wasn't Voss or Boniface or Smithwick, perhaps?

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:37 am

Aug27 - My memory is fuzzy with the 'ICRS' [I can't remember "stuff"] syndrome, but I think it might have been one of the Boniface family of Bonita Farms....just wish I could be certain. I'm pretty sure it was not Josh Pons and I know for sure it was not Northview, Heritage, Murmur Farms' owner who represented on this CTHB organized forum....kind of remember it being an ItalianAmerican surname beginning with the letter 'B'....it was also someone whose name and farm name appeared in the Bloodhorse often enough that I was aware of his stature/longevity in the east coast breeding farm side of thoroughbred industry. He spoke to us assembled owners/breeders/future owners/breeders in a very down-to-earth, forthright and friendly manner; was welcoming of questions both during the formal Q&A session and afterwards during the meet & greet that followed the panel presentation. I remember that he encouraged attendees who had questions to call or write him.

Dublino - Thank you