The 147th Running of the GR I Belmont Stakes

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

jagger
Grade III Winner

Re: The 147th Running of the GR I Belmont Stakes

Postby jagger » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:50 pm

Keen Ice in another huge Belmont upset.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:13 pm

Good luck everybody with your picks and a safe journey to this field of outstanding 3YO's. It would be great to see one more TC winner before I get planted like the other three I saw win the Triple Crown:>) TJ

American Pharoah...If Victor puts him on the lead, he will win like the last three TC winners did....wire to wire.
Materiality ...We have yet to see Materiality's true ability....he very well could have won the Derby if he didn't hesitate coming out of the gate. Point of interest: Angel Cordero is Johnny V's agent. Angel put Bold Forbes on the lead when he won the Belmont Stakes breaking from the 8 post position, same as Materiality.
Mubtaahij...Will benefit from a slower pace today and will run his race. Irad Ortiz, taken off Frosted, will be out to beat him. I hate to leave Frosted out, but he really backed off his training after his last breeze....just think he needed more galloping? Though will watch tomorrow, they reported Frosted will go to the track Belmont Stakes morning?
Keen Ice...Has trained too well to ignore in the triple and super action.

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:50 am

I guess it will be AP staggering home in 2.33 or slower, then Frosted and the rest, as they will allow AP an uncontested lead.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:03 am

Saturday (6/6)
Belmont: Here it is Belmont Stakes morning and the weather report messed up, with a lone large system opening up right on top of Elmont, LI, home of Belmont Race Track. A heavy downpour this morning turned the track to slop prompting officials to seal the inner portion of the track and put the "dogs up" far off the inner part of the track. The good news is the system passed through and the main track is currently labeled good for morning works. Better news, the main track is expected to be fast by post time of the 1st race, though drying out fast tracks can play havoc at times?

American Pharoah, Madefromlucky, Materiality were reported to walk this morning.
Frammento was out in the slop for a little light gallop.
Frosted was expected to gallop today, but if he does....will be after the break. Will update
Mubtaahij, Tale of Verve and Keen Ice no official word yet, would expect Tale of Verve walked as he is always first out in the AM. Mubtaahij wouldn't be eager to get out over anything but a fast track and Keen Ice could use the walk day as good as he's trained:>) But this is just my thoughts, any official word will be updated.

Here are the updated odds: Back in the day, horseman always said "Ain't a horse alive worth two to five"! Hope they weren't talking about this guy:>) TJ

1 MUBTAAHIJ 17-1

2 TALE OF VERVE 20-1

3 MADEFROMLUCKY 14-1

4 FRAMMENTO 24-1

5 AMERICAN PHAROAH 2-5

6 FROSTED 6-1

7 KEEN ICE 21-1

8 MATERIALITY 7-1

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:45 am

The first race is over and the track is currently playing very fair. It is definitely wet fast, as stalker Japan moved to the front runners and went by Nonnas Boy and Stanford handily in deep stretch in the 1 1/16 mile Easy Goer Stake. Don't forget his name...I'm sure we'll see him in the Travers. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:23 am

Stalker Tommy Macho ran over pace setter Tiz Shea D in this 1 1/16th mile Allowance race. Extremely fast time, as Smart Transition came from off the pace for 3rd. Track still looks fair, but times are very fast. As the track continues to dry out the current bias could change dramatically. Remember the Belmont Stakes is run around two turns....the mile and a sixteenth distance is only one turn at Belmont Park. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:16 am

The upcoming race at Belmont will be of importance. It is contested over a mile and a half and Espinoza rides one for Bob Baffert? TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:49 am

A decent time of 2:27.17 for the mile and a half, as Coach Inge who broke from the 6 post, laid close up while stalking the leader and gets the job done. VE Day came up short from off the pace, Espinoza was wide throughout and finished 3rd. Might have to re-think my Belmont selections:>) Anyway, the track is currently fast, but fair with no distinct bias. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:01 pm

TJ, who do you like in the Met Mile?

I really like Tonalist if he breaks awake.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:56 pm

Cree wrote:TJ, who do you like in the Met Mile?

I really like Tonalist if he breaks awake.

Hi Cree,
It's probably the toughest on the card....but I have to stick with my old favorite....Honor Code. He worked in 59 so Shug must have him doing very well. TJ

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:34 pm

Good Call TJ
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:10 pm

What a race...he made it look easy. The time of 2:26.3 is as good as it gets. TJ
American Pharoah
Frosted
Keen Ice
Mubtaahij

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:32 pm

yep. I imagine they are already setting up next year's stud career.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:40 pm

A Triple Crown winner!!! I am in shock. He looked like he was going to keep going!

His breeding rights are already sold. I hope he gets 2 or 3 more races and retires. Would be a shame to not see him a few more times.

HUGE run by Honor Code in the Met Mile. It was great to see him win that, he is something else when he comes flying down the stretch. Private Zone is a pitbull. I am guessing Bayern won't want to see his face again :-)

jagger
Grade III Winner

Postby jagger » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:25 pm

Pioneer of The Nile fee goes to 100k?