The 147th Running of the GR I Belmont Stakes

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

madelyn

Re: The 147th Running of the GR I Belmont Stakes

Postby madelyn » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:06 am

It well could. On the other hand, AP will be standing. Would you send your mare to him or to his sire?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:34 am

Now that the smoke cleared and the naysayers who have been crying for years that the Triple Crown is impossible to win, the schedule is too tough, the breed isn't strong enough anymore. All I can say to them is boo-hoo and get off your bandwagon.....the TC isn't for everyone. It's for a special few who are above the rest, the few that dig deep and for some go beyond what was inherently bred into them...as In AP's case. What was a shame, is that a horse as great as American Pharoah became the Rodney Dangerfield of this 3YO crop. I've been in the business a long time and I do remember other greats being knocked for their breeding....even Secretariat wasn't expected to go the distance. I have to admit, I was one who thought AP would step on his breeding, but after watching the way he trained, I realized it wasn't about breeding at all....it was about a stride I can't ever remember seeing before. When you watch him travel you think he's moving slow....then you look at your watch and are shocked at what you see. I posted video's of his training...he moves effortlessly, with such a light touch yet it is enough to power his long fluid stride. His most efficient and effortless stride and great mind is what got him through his TC campaign unscathed. It makes his winning efforts that much easier on him and in turn allows him to bounce back out of his races so quickly.
I learned two things from American Pharoah: Stride trumps breeding and Pioneerof The Nile will be one of the best sires we've ever seen. He stamps his progeny and he's one of those rare sires who improves his mares. AP's 1/2 brother, Xixixi by Maimonides raced for claiming $5,000. TJ

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:04 am

In looking at the 12 triple crown wins, it strikes me that they seem to come in groups. This could be the beginning of a series. From '48 to '73 nothing. The TC was won FOUR TIMES in the 1940's and THREE TIMES in the 1970's. Maybe its a generation thing. Maybe it's this generation/decade for the TC.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:46 pm

madelyn wrote:In looking at the 12 triple crown wins, it strikes me that they seem to come in groups. This could be the beginning of a series. From '48 to '73 nothing. The TC was won FOUR TIMES in the 1940's and THREE TIMES in the 1970's. Maybe its a generation thing. Maybe it's this generation/decade for the TC.

Hi Madelyn,
I think it's the luck of the draw and of course, every star in the universe has to line up just right...lol. My main reason to post is to give you a heads up.... American Pharoah returned to CD this afternoon (Sunday 6/7) and will make a public appearance Saturday night June 13th at CD. Just in case you can get out to see him. TJ

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:21 pm

Thanks TJ. I have a horse in at CD on Friday and could likely head over to AP's barn for a few minutes.. still iffy about running will decide tomorrow.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:01 pm

madelyn wrote:Thanks TJ. I have a horse in at CD on Friday and could likely head over to AP's barn for a few minutes.. still iffy about running will decide tomorrow.

Hi Madelyn,
Hope you get to see AP....Eight put in a nice work for this and I see you have Jon Courts son riding your horse. Good luck if you go. TJ

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:24 am

Thanks. The horse is actually improving. Aaron's agent was really begging me and he won in front of me two starts ago.. the weight allowance could only help but there's 3 in the field that look awfully tough. We have been schooling the two turn race with this horse for five weeks. We'll see.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:02 pm

madelyn wrote:Thanks. The horse is actually improving. Aaron's agent was really begging me and he won in front of me two starts ago.. the weight allowance could only help but there's 3 in the field that look awfully tough. We have been schooling the two turn race with this horse for five weeks. We'll see.

Hi Madelyn,
Not too bad...he earned a nice check. The horse that beat you for 4th was claimed by Assmussen....the winner was also claimed so it was a legit field. What happened to Court....did he get hurt? TJ

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:07 am

No. Aaron couldn't make weight in the am and spent way too much time in the box. He nearly fell off his first mount and was so faint he had to be helped back to the jock's quarters. The Clerk of Scales cancelled him off the card, I was paged, along with the trainers of his other mounts and we had to scramble. Jack Gilligan was kicking around up there; nice kid, still got 5lb bug, and so I went with him. ETTB got a bit tired and looking at the race beforehand I was really only ever running for 5th anyway. When the #1 scratched that money got added to 5th.. This was his last tightener before Ellis Park opens July 2nd. It was a very legit field and he was "only" 12 lengths back which is actually his best performance ever at CD.

I fell into a trap here where a jock's agent pushed me way too hard to give a mount - I got sold a bill of goods. No more Aaron Court for me; the weight thing is not my deal and if he can't do that maybe he would be better off going back to exercise riding.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:47 am

madelyn wrote:No. Aaron couldn't make weight in the am and spent way too much time in the box. He nearly fell off his first mount and was so faint he had to be helped back to the jock's quarters. The Clerk of Scales cancelled him off the card, I was paged, along with the trainers of his other mounts and we had to scramble. Jack Gilligan was kicking around up there; nice kid, still got 5lb bug, and so I went with him. ETTB got a bit tired and looking at the race beforehand I was really only ever running for 5th anyway. When the #1 scratched that money got added to 5th.. This was his last tightener before Ellis Park opens July 2nd. It was a very legit field and he was "only" 12 lengths back which is actually his best performance ever at CD.

I fell into a trap here where a jock's agent pushed me way too hard to give a mount - I got sold a bill of goods. No more Aaron Court for me; the weight thing is not my deal and if he can't do that maybe he would be better off going back to exercise riding.

Hi Madelyn,
Yes, agents can be a bit aggressive. If this kid is having trouble making weight now....his future doesn't look bright.
I thought ETTB ran good and if that's all that fills in that spot....he's in line for a closer finish when they run it back. Good Luck, TJ

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:52 pm

Ironically, I think I am five-in-a-row at churchill for never getting the jock I named or getting messed around by one.