American Pharoah wins triple crown :)

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

oliverstoned
Restricted Stakes Winner

Re: American Pharoah wins triple crown :)

Postby oliverstoned » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:27 am

I see him shuttling into some nice turf mares overseas which will be very interesting. Pioneer of the Nile liked the artificial tracks and Empire Maker has had success at siring turf runners, and of course he has that Storm Cat in there. With his Northern Dancer, Mr. Prospector and Bold Ruler 5 back it leaves a lot of options.

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:06 am

That was a delight and a privilege to watch. I wasn't convinced he could do it, but by the first turn it looked like he was running straight for history. I was still on pins and needles until he came out of the second turn with his ears pricked and then I was on my feet screaming when he started to kick away from the field. I kept watching for that late closer all the experts warned about...the one that never came.

I think he proved everything he needed to prove in the Belmont. There is nothing ordinary about American Pharoah. He is a superhorse.

Now I can finally stop waiting and wondering. I DID see another one in my lifetime. And I'm so happy Penny Chenery was able to be there to witness it. :D
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:48 pm

I think you see him 2 more times. I think you see him in the Awesome Again or maybe the penn derby or somehting like that then the Breeders Cup Classic. What's the point of running in the travers or haskell whne you won the triple crown lol? The only thing he has left to do is show he's good enough to beat older horses. 5 million dollar BC is just too much to pass up.

I think he stands for 125k live cover

I think he's going to bring real excitement back to the sales ring. people aren't spending like they were 10 years ago i think all that changes. you can have some unbelievable mating on paper, can you imagine what a AP x Rachel Alexandra colt would fetch in the auction ring?
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:12 pm

Grateful, thankful for a very special moment not only in racing, but life itself.

Yes, and my hypotheticals as to why he might not do it - were without merit.

Two tidbits
1. Finished Faster than Secretariat for the FINAL quarter. (That will be a race to watch in heaven)
2. Faster last half than first half.

-- Both with zero urging. Wow.

jm

BTW - BDW, I think you're lucky to get to him for $300k, maybe $500k. He's that popular right now.
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:18 pm

nah i don't see it. I don't think he has the female family to command that out of the gate. Plus the fact that his sire Pioneerof the nile is young, will keep him moderately priced.
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”

- Einstein

jagger
Grade III Winner

Postby jagger » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:07 pm

In addition, Joltman, his second half of the race was faster than his first half as you mentioned. Also, the last 3 quarter miles were successively faster. And, his second half of the race was faster than Secretariat's.

Taffy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Taffy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:11 am

The permitted number of uses of the whip with hands off the reins is 7 times for Flat races and 8 times for Jumps race. These are the U.K rules what are the rules in the States please

Taffy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Taffy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:04 am

Still, questions about the whip have figured into the thoroughbred American Pharoah’s pursuit of the Triple Crown. His jockey, Victor Espinoza, was fined $300 by California racing officials in April for breaking the skin of Stellar Wind in the Santa Anita Oaks, a race she won by more than five lengths. And in last month’s Kentucky Derby win, he struck American Pharoah more than 30 times, although he did not rely on his crop in a muddy win at the Preakness Stakes two weeks later.

Taffy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Taffy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:19 am

oliverstoned wrote:I see him shuttling into some nice turf mares overseas which will be very interesting. Pioneer of the Nile liked the artificial tracks and Empire Maker has had success at siring turf runners, and of course he has that Storm Cat in there. With his Northern Dancer, Mr. Prospector and Bold Ruler 5 back it leaves a lot of options.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What stud fee will Triple Crown hero American Pharoah command? Our experts say up to $250,000 bit.ly/1RXI6YF pic.twitter.com/73rl3AOSIC
Racing Post on Twitter

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:39 am

Did he touch him with the whip in the Belmont?

Taffy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Taffy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:00 am

Cree wrote:Did he touch him with the whip in the Belmont?

I was asking about the whip rules in the U.S.

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:23 am

How tall is American Pharoah? He doesn't seem huge.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:54 am

Taffy wrote:
Cree wrote:Did he touch him with the whip in the Belmont?

I was asking about the whip rules in the U.S.

Hi Taff,
Check the thread in this forum when the incident occurred 'Espinoza Whip Under Scruitiny'. The rules vary between states. TJ

da hossman
Allowance Winner

Postby da hossman » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:21 am

AP is about 16.1, Dortmund always made him look smaller. Espinoza showed him the whip during the Belmont stretch run but only touched him twice.
An amazing performance by an amazing horse - ears pricked for the first 1 1/4 miles!
A difference of opinion is what makes horse racing and missionaries.

Will Rogers

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:36 am

springboro wrote:How tall is American Pharoah? He doesn't seem huge.

Hi Spring,
He's 16.1 hands. TJ