American Pharoah Update

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Re: American Pharoah Update

Postby TJ » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:07 am

American Pharoah breezed a 1/2 mile today at Del Mar in preparation for the Travers Stakes August 29th at Saratoga. With Martin Garcia in the irons, he breezed a 1/2 in 47.60, out 5/8ths in 1:00 and pulled up 3/4's in 1:13.40. Baffert was pleased with the move, but said he wants to see one more breeze next week before officially announcing American Pharoah will run in the Travers Stakes. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:22 am

AP will run next in the Travers after a sensational work at Del Mar this AM. The Champ worked 7/8ths of a mile in 1:23.20.
Fractions were 23 flat, 47.20, 58.80, and 1:10.60. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:10 pm

Ok, I did post in the Travers thread, that Baffert said AP would race again. Zayat made it official today with his statement (below). From what they are saying, AP will head to CD and do his training there for his next start. It's a day by day, wait and see attitude whether AP will have a prep race prior to the BC Classic. No mention from anyone in the AP camp that the distance was the culprit and I do believe they buried their head in the sand on that one. It looks obvious looking at his PP's his two worst races were at the 1 1/4 mile distance....unable to muster that killer kick he's shown us in every other race he had? Zayat said AP didn't bring his A game and AP deserves another chance. If Frosted could bully AP into defeat at that distance, what's going to happen in the BC Classic with the likes of Liam's Map pressing him on the front end, not to mention the closer extraordinaire, Honor Code...who's head and shoulders better then Keen Ice through the lane? TJ
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... nue-racing

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:24 pm

Hi TJ

In the scenario you describe I don't think American Pharoah will try to go to the lead vs. e.g. Liam's map. He is comfortable stalking and I think he would do so in a race with speed as long as he had a reasonably clear path. I think he went to the lead in the Travers under direction from the trainer/owner crew because no pace was expected. I also do think he wasn't quite himself on Travers day, he was noticeably washy going into the gate.

I also am not sure that Honor Code will carry his closing kick to the mile and a quarter distance.

I would be more worried about Keen Ice (still improving and will have pace to run at) and Beholder (goes the distance, doesn't need the lead, has the closing kick and is faster at this distance this year than any of these). Also Tonalist if his jockey can let go of the idea that he must sit behind Honor Code at all costs.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:56 pm

geowarrior wrote:Hi TJ

In the scenario you describe I don't think American Pharoah will try to go to the lead vs. e.g. Liam's map. He is comfortable stalking and I think he would do so in a race with speed as long as he had a reasonably clear path. I think he went to the lead in the Travers under direction from the trainer/owner crew because no pace was expected. I also do think he wasn't quite himself on Travers day, he was noticeably washy going into the gate.

I also am not sure that Honor Code will carry his closing kick to the mile and a quarter distance.

I would be more worried about Keen Ice (still improving and will have pace to run at) and Beholder (goes the distance, doesn't need the lead, has the closing kick and is faster at this distance this year than any of these). Also Tonalist if his jockey can let go of the idea that he must sit behind Honor Code at all costs.

Hi Geo,
Your points are well taken....the pace will be the major factor in the outcome of the Classic. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:23 pm

American Pharoah began his preparation for the BC Classic today 9/21, three weeks and 2 days after his 2nd place finish in the Travers. He is expected to train up to the race without a prep. American Pharoah worked a very easy 1/2 mile in 49.80 seconds at Santa Anita with Martin Garcia in the saddle. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:27 pm

American Pharoah returned to the worktab 6 days after his easy 1/2 mile move last Monday. He worked 5/8ths Sunday morning in one minute flat at Santa Anita. He went the first 1/2 mile in 47.2 with Martin Garcia on board. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:10 am

American Pharoah worked 5/8ths in 59.80 Saturday morning at Del Mar. He galloped out thru 7/8ths of a mile getting 3/4's in 1:12.80 and 7/8ths in 1:25.80. He looked as strong as ever in his move, making it look like he's moving so easily. The work was moved up to yesterday (Saturday) due to expected bad weather today. Check it out, the video picks up his move a little late while inside the 3/8ths pole. TJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTRHtXrFOZs

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:27 am

This makes me very happy! The Classic is going to be some race... I love all of the horses in the prelim BCC field, but I'd be lying if I'm not hoping AP finishes his career with a mind-blowing performance. :D

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... nita-drill

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:51 am

skeenan wrote:This makes me very happy! The Classic is going to be some race... I love all of the horses in the prelim BCC field, but I'd be lying if I'm not hoping AP finishes his career with a mind-blowing performance. :D

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... nita-drill

Hi Skeenan,
Another serious move for the TC winner today...quite a discrepancy between Baffert's watch and the clockers?? Check out his work below. TJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQdcpWjZO3g

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:37 pm

TJ wrote:Hi Skeenan,
Another serious move for the TC winner today...quite a discrepancy between Baffert's watch and the clockers?? Check out his work below. TJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQdcpWjZO3g

Cool, thanks! I could watch him run all day... so effortless! What I liked was that he looked eager to run down his target. I hope & pray this break is what he needed! And hope they'll give him time to settle in at the track... I'm a little nervous that there's no date set yet to ship him to Keeneland. But, have to trust that Bob knows what he's doing. :D

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:33 am

Baffert continues to tighten the screws on his TC winner, returning to work today 6 days after his strong mile work 10/14. American Pharoah worked a swift 3/4's in 1:10.80 at SA with Martin Garcia on board. Will update details as they come out and hopefully post a video, which is currently unavailable. TJ

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:55 am

Couldn't find a video yet, just this article... go, big boy, go! :D
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... anita-work

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:27 pm

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:01 am

This was TVG's take on his workout. I like that everyone seems very confident that the Champ is back!
https://www.facebook.com/TVGNetwork/vid ... 048559426/