Curlin

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

oliverstoned
Restricted Stakes Winner

Re: Curlin

Postby oliverstoned » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:24 am

Good post Mac. Worth noting Curlin has 12 nominated to the triple crown this year. Ocean Knight looked pretty good yesterday and his dam side ain't that great. He is at 35k because that is what the market is for him right now. Like Dublino I would be looking elsewhere for more value though. Thankfully the big money people want to win the Derby not the BC Sprint, so a horse like Curlin will get some more time. Who knows he may rise like Lemon Drop Kid and Ghostzapper did.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:56 am

One need only look to the Inbreeding and Breakdowns post for proof that we see what we want to see....but I think there's a strong Curlin-Storm Cat nick forming.

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Postby Heidilady » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:51 pm

His tail female family isn't stellar, but there are buried things in his dam's pedigree in general that are promising if he got genes from the right places--unfortunately that won't help him in the breeding shed later in terms of seeming like a hot, commercial sire which is a big problem. It means expecting breeders to hunt for that stuff and they're not gonna, not when they see other stallion prospects that have dams with noted family members out the wazoo that they can get on board with much faster. He's more likely to be viewed as a genetic fluke unless his mama's next does well (and that's unlikely to be anytime soon as she was bred to Blame for a 2013 foal and Tiznow for 2014 and didn't produce anything). Ocean Goddess was bred to Pioneerof the Nile last year, no idea if that one took. It might be a case of if she can carry a foal to term, things turn out well. Makes you wonder if they press on like with Lotta Kim or try to get her in foal for November's auction. I wouldn't think she'd go for a ton unless Ocean Knight did really well and she'd been bred back to Curlin. They're not gonna be thrilled with this produce record as it stands right now.

Fortunately he's owned by Stonestreet so I suspect he won't be chucked to Japan forthwith. It would also be to their advantage if Ocean Knight after a (hopefully) stellar racing career, got good mares so as to present Curlin as a sire of sires. Ocean Knight might be able to get passed the weaker tail female line in terms of getting support. Talent wise, it doesn't seem to be a hindrance. Weird (and possibly insignificant) thing I noticed when looking at his female family. Another horse by Stormy Atlantic over a female family including Gallant Man...G3 10f winner and multiple G1 placed on turf Stormy Lucy. What if Stormy Atlantic enjoys a bit of Gallant Man in there? Again, could be a coincidence but who knows. I think they ought to keep turf opportunities in mind for Ocean Knight even if dirt goes well. I wouldn't dismiss Curlin in that area. He did pretty well in a G1 on turf even if he didn't win it and Smart Strike's had his share in that area. Stormy Atlantic's had his share of turf results.

ct2346 wrote:One need only look to the Inbreeding and Breakdowns post for proof that we see what we want to see....but I think there's a strong Curlin-Storm Cat nick forming.

ETA Re: Curlin-Storm Cat. Just saw Ocean Knight's mating is an A++ nick. It sure seems like we're gonna see more Curlin-Storm Cat in the future if the number of successful crosses is any indication. Many of Curlin's top results are from that. Not all, but enough to draw attention.

That thread (I assume we're talking about the one started by Louis) is hardly proof of anything. Inbreeding can make some things worse or it can make others robust, it's not the devil. The thread's been going on and on for nearly a decade, I was tired of it back near the beginning and found many many instances of what I'd call reaching. A number of people just got tired of arguing or eyerolling. I dunno how long you've followed it, but I do remember many people getting exasperated. Just because you pick a theory and go on about it for long enough, that doesn't make it true. I very seriously doubt the level analysis is much different than several years ago. For awhile it was about Phalaris this and Phalaris that. I'm not gonna go back to it to see if we're still having to put up with that particular stallion being the alleged bane of racing's existence even though he's not. Let's not get engaged in a battle over it here as it 1) will be super meta 2) drag us off topic and 3) ought to be confined to the original thread where mercifully most people can happily avoid it. I just wanted to make it clear that it's not a thread I take particularly seriously.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:13 pm

Diversy Harbor became a graded stakes winner today in the Buena Vista. She seems to have gotten better with age.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:38 am

Cree wrote:Diversy Harbor became a graded stakes winner today in the Buena Vista. She seems to have gotten better with age.

Diversy Harbor is also out of a Storm Cat mare.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:02 am

Another graded stakes winner, Stellar Wind, out of a Malibu Moon mare.

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Result ... registry=T

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:25 pm

Another G1 winner today with Curalina in the Acorn.

The crop of 2004 sure was grand - Street Sense got another G1 winner today with Wedding Toast too.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:52 am

I think we can officially put this debate to bed. Tremendous body of work this year by Curlin. Travers, CCA, SA Oaks, Schuylerville, Acorn, etc. They just keep coming.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:08 pm

Haha. I 100% agree. He has continued to sire some serious racehorses.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:52 am

A twenty percent outright ownership interest in Curlin has been sold to John Sikura and Elevage II. Curlin will be moved to Sikura's Hill 'n' Dale Farms (in Lexington, KY) for the 2016 breeding season. Barbara Banks Stonestreet Stable owns the other 80%.
The 20% ownership became available through a U.S. Justice Department Asset Forfeiture Sale. The previous owner's were Midnight Cry Stables, who are currently serving prison terms. The Curlin sale proceeds ($6,218,160) will be put toward restitution Midnight Cry (Cunningham and Gallion) must pay former 'bilked' clients. TJ
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... le-in-2016

Mac
Allowance Winner

Postby Mac » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:52 pm

Speaking of Curlin, Smart Strike as a sire of sires has had a good run here lately. Square Eddie, English Channel, and Curlin all getting gr. 1 winners recently. So four in total for English Channel counting Parranda winning the gr. 1 Singapore Cup and the one he got today at Woodbine, Interpol, and I think 4 so far also for Curlin, then Square Eddie getting his first.

So sad we lost Smart Strike, but at least some of his sons got to sire before he passed so he has a shot at a nice heritage.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:20 pm

English Channel is en fuego right now.

If Interpol takes the Canadian International, he's a lock for champion turf male in Canada this year.