Kentucky Downs

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Kentucky Downs

Postby TJ » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:39 pm

What a great meet they are having. I don't think I've ever seen a meet with purses this large? Maiden races have a $120,000 purse. Absolutely amazing, check out today's entries below.
Madelyn...do you know why the purses are so big?? TJ
http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHors ... -20150914D

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Re: Kentucky Downs

Postby Shergar » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:20 am

I believe a lot of their purse money is from revenue generated by the instant racing machines.

Shergar

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:24 pm

It's a bit of a puzzle. Kentucky Downs has instant racing machines, as mentioned, as well as simulcast and it is in a pretty remote location with not much entertainment competition. It is a turf only facility and everyone, including the track ponies, ship in on each racing day in September that it has its meet. This year's KTDF component is a whopping 60% - it was less last year. Last year the MSW was $80K. They always have cancelled days. Or parts of days. They have to carry that and pay it out. One day of racing there cancelled can spill $900K forward and they just had one day cancelled after two races and another day cancelled entirely. But the purse yesterday was what was in the condition book. I don't understand how they get the KTDF to cough up so much. A conundrum.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:00 am

Hi Madelyn, Shergar,
Thanks for the replies...I started looking into the why of it and found this article this morrning. One thing I didn't know was that KD has the lowest takeout of any racetrack. They receive strong purse bonuses from the Kentucky Thoroughbred Development Fund, which amounts to almost 50% of the total purse....but they are only paid out to qualified KY Breds, which most winners have been. Here's the article. TJ
http://www.drf.com/news/kentucky-downs- ... dle-record

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Postby Shergar » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:14 am

Thanks for the link TJ. I noticed on Tuesday last they had a handle of $3,176,733. Not too shabby for a Weekday card. I don't know off hand what their take out is, but still has to be a good chunk of money. Along with KTDF money, simulcast and instant racing machines, I can see how they do it.

KD is one of my favorite tracks to watch and bet on. I love turf racing, and especially love watching turf routes.

Regards,
Shergar

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:02 pm

Yes the KTDF component is huige. If you look at the 9th race (results) on 9/14, the Illinois bred that won earned $58K while the KY bred who finished second got $59K.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....