GR I Pacific Classic

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Re: GR I Pacific Classic

Postby TJ » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:43 am

Cree wrote:Hi TJ, it actually sounds like he is still in training. To Hill N Dale for 2016.

Hi Cree,
Yes, I agree....but I think they left the door open for him to retire if he doesn't train up to his next start as they hope for. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:28 am

Hi Cree,
More info concerning Bayern. Baffert said he didn't like the DelMar dirt track and expects an improved performance in his next start (Sept 26th, The Awesome Again at SA). Here's the article....I'll post the race later today along with a couple more from SA....they have a great card this Saturday including Beholder and Nyquist. If he runs well he'll go on, otherwise this could be his last start....Martin gets back on board Saturday? TJ
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... last-stand

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:03 pm

Playing Devils Advocate here... Bayern worked some pretty incredible times at Del Mar prior to his start at Del Mar. Can they not tell whether a horse has taken to a track by its works? I am just curious about this.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:47 am

Cree wrote:Playing Devils Advocate here... Bayern worked some pretty incredible times at Del Mar prior to his start at Del Mar. Can they not tell whether a horse has taken to a track by its works? I am just curious about this.

Hi Cree,
Yes, workouts over Del Mar would give Baffert a clue whether Bayern liked the new dirt surface. A horse like Bayern, who always works well, can still put up quick times and not really appreciate the surface. It's the way he performed the work and what the rider feels under him and the effort used by the rider to achieve that workout. Of course it could just be a story line because he will be heading to stud:>) The Awesome Again should answer that last comment...no excuses today as he should control the pace? TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:40 am

Sounds like that is it for Bayern:
http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-ra ... t7DaysNews

So many things could have factored in his career's demise. I have often wondered if his sophomore season was a bit too ambitious, especially with the way Baffert works them (hard and fast). Why was he off for so long between the Classic and the Churchill Downs S. this year? Was he in that much of a need for the lead?
They must've thought he would come back better than he did, otherwise why would they have entered him in races like the Met Mile?
I guess we all expected big things from him, since he won the '14 BC Classic - which I still think should've had a different outcome (never let that go) - and I suppose he is an example of why they do retire them at the top of their game. How attractive is he to breeders now???
Beholder, on the other hand, is an example of a horse that gets better and better with age and racing - and time and special care.