Heads Up Horsemen/Horsewomen - THIS IS A GREAT IDEA!

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

jellac
Grade I Winner

Heads Up Horsemen/Horsewomen - THIS IS A GREAT IDEA!

Postby jellac » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:20 am

http://www.retiredracehorseproject.org/

I think this is a great idea/plan for restoring the value in thoroughbred horses in the equestrian marketplace/public's eye after their racing careers or when race training indicates racing is not their thing.

Any one on this board entered or entering?

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Re: Heads Up Horsemen/Horsewomen - THIS IS A GREAT IDEA!

Postby ct2346 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:37 am

Great idea. I'm impressed by the list of sponsors. It would be great to see these guys get some real traction.

CherryDavis
2yo Maiden

Postby CherryDavis » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:54 am

I have 2 entries! I'm very excited. I participated last year when it was by invitation only. I think it was a great idea to expand it the way they did. My only concern is that there are people that are weekend cowboys that have no experience with OTTBs that are running around buying up horses thinking they are going to win big money. Ive heard various stories from the different groups I work with, including one person that was unable to even tack a horse up but was sure they were going to do great in this competition. The rescues did the responsible thing and turned that person and the others similar to them away, but someone will eventually sell them a horse.

My first entry is on the farm and already going, I pick my second entry up on Saturday from Fair Hill.

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:53 pm

CherryDavis-

Two Entries - that's great! I'm excited for you and hope that you'll keep the Pedigree Query apprised of your entries progress. That would be a fun story to follow here.

And, thanks for sharing your insight from having participated last year and your hesitation about what is going on in the area where you live. I agree about the potential for abuse by those looking to turn a quick buck....but that was/is happening now across the country at the 'local' livestock auctions. I see/hear about and have first hand experience with horses that had major issues/went thru the local auction under a ''calming" tranq or their lameness temporarily deadened, only to have them explode when unloaded at the new owner/buyer's stable or emerge a total cripple the next morning. You'd like to think that those buying horses - of any kind - would be smarter than than the animals they are going to try and 'train'...but I can't say that it has been my overwhelming experience. Sometimes I wonder if '...they're even as smart....". That's why I absolutely will not sell a horse on the cheap. I have 'given' two of my OTTBs away but only after entering into training/re-careering performance contracts with young horsewomen that I knew personally and knew they had both the skills, wherewithal, support and facilities for doing the job correctly AND the commitment. Seller and Buyer need to be on the same page as to what an OTTB needs in the way of re-training, new training and that the measure of success is not in how cheap you got the horse for BUT in the improvement of the horses' skill set and therefore their use/value in the marketplace. Both of those were good experiences and its a model I would use again....but you do have to KNOW the buyer, his or her background, abilities, etc.

CherryDavis
2yo Maiden

Postby CherryDavis » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:24 am

The competition is in the final stretch now! My daughter could use your votes for ambassador. She is 13 and has done ALL of the training, showing, and blogging of her makeover horse Shuku herself. Shuku came from Mid Atlantic horse rescue after being pulled from New Holland completely emaciated and hardly able to stand. Once we got her to our barn we continued the rehab work that MAHR had already started. She is now happy, healthy and a perfect example in every way of why the phrase "crazy thoroughbred" should be considered offensive. If my daughter wins the ambassador contest, she has pledged half the prize money ($2,500) to MAHR to help them purchase and care for other horses like Shuku. Also, if you are looking for a very worthy TB charity to give to, they are excellent. I rode their entry in last year's invitation only makeover, D'Sauvage, sidesaddle to display TB versatility. Chris McCarron gave me points for bravery since neither the horse nor myself had any experience with sidesaddle until 1 week before the competition :lol: It's amazing the things I let myself get talked into!

Anyway, if you would like to vote for my daughter, you can find her here under Lizzie Howell:
https://www.retiredracehorseproject.org ... ador-award

They have my horse Fire Ruler listed under her as well but I was so busy with breeding, training, shipping, and the sales that I never got around to blogging about him. He doesn't need the votes anyway. He was born huge, brave, male, and bay. He has every advantage and has only had good connections his entire life. I think he will be just fine if he doesn't get to add ambassador to his resume!

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:00 pm

CherryDavis -

Just voted for Lizzie and Shuku - hope they win!

Question: can you send us a link to her blog or upload some photos of Shuku's makeover (when you have time of course)

CherryDavis
2yo Maiden

Postby CherryDavis » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:12 pm

Thank you jellac!

Here is a link to one of her blogs and all the way at the bottom there are links to the others. The blog platform has been difficult to work with and the blogs are all just listed in a jumble so it makes them hard to find.

https://www.retiredracehorseproject.org ... s-training

Shuku has really made my daughter understand why I am so passionate about all things Thoroughbred.

murphysmom
2yo Maiden

Postby murphysmom » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:53 am

I too have voted for Lizzie and look forward to photos & results!!

CherryDavis
2yo Maiden

Postby CherryDavis » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:01 am

Thanks Murphy!

It's crunch time now!

https://www.retiredracehorseproject.org ... ine-tuning

The link should take you to the most recent post and there are links to her other posts at the bottom of each post. I'm thinking that I should probably just make a Facebook page for her since the blog platform is so difficult.

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:14 pm

Awesome, best of luck!! I think this is a great event, I've been following it a little on FB. I think, sooner or later, Thoroughbreds will come back into fashion as competition horses. I hope this event really showcases everything they're capable of, which is a lot. :D