shock wave therapy

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Cree
Eclipse Champion

shock wave therapy

Postby Cree » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:25 pm

What exactly is it used for? There is an article that Nyquist has had it.
Thanks.

TJ
Darley line

Re: shock wave therapy

Postby TJ » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:34 pm

Cree wrote:What exactly is it used for? There is an article that Nyquist has had it.
Thanks.

Hi Cree,
Extra-Corporeal Shockwave Therapy is a very useful treatment in speeding healing in muscle, bone, tendon or ligament injuries. The problem is, it has an analgesic effect shortly after treatment, that actually deadens pain and practically eliminates all swelling from the problem area after one treatment....pain will resume after about 48 hours but less severe, but the swelling for example a torn tendon sheath, will remain looking normal for a longer period of time.
Race jurisdictions set limits on the time period a horse is allowed to run back after receiving ESWT due to the analgesic and immediate effect it has in normalizing the tendon and ligament swelling. In California the horses are put on the vet list for 10 days before being allowed to train or race. This 10 day rule may have changed in other jurisdictions as they are doing more research concerning this, but currently it is 10 days in California. In all jurisdictions only Vets are permitted to administer the therapy and must immediately report the procedure to the racing authorities.
If used accordingly, it is a great healing treatment for many ills and can speed up recovery time better then any other treatment. It is non invasive and makes a loud, distinct crackling sound when the procedure is being done. It emits sound energy, not electrical shock waves. Overall a great therapy when used correctly.
I'll Have Another also underwent ESWT on April 20th, 2012 and was on the Vet list for ten days prior to his Derby win May 5th. That treatment was administered 13 days after his SA Derby win April 7, 2012. Less than a month after he received the therapy, he ran his final race in the Preakness 5/19/12. That doesn't bode well for Nyquist considering how long I'll Have Another lasted...but it seems it was done on the up and up. Nyquist received the treatment on 9/29 and worked an easy 1/2 today (10/9) in 52 seconds at SA. If used cautiously, I would think Nyquist should have been given more time before breezing, but I fear they might be pushing the envelope to make the BC Juvenile. Though that may not be a fair assessment not really knowing the reason for the treatment. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: shock wave therapy

Postby Cree » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:35 am

Thanks for the great response. I didn't really like this horse's chances stretching out or as he ages. I'm not a huge fan of O'Neill and I have to say he's not really great at developing them (compared to Mandella for example). It does seem rather quick turn-around for Nyquist.