Keeneland visit

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Keeneland visit

Postby Aug27 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:48 pm

I'm going to Lexington this weekend (Thursday thru Saturday). Any suggestions on what to see or do for a spouse that does not share my passion for thoroughbred horse racing? My afternoons will be at the track, and I've already purchased tickets for their Breeders' Cup tour ...

TJ
Darley line

Re: Keeneland visit

Postby TJ » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:46 pm

Aug27 wrote:I'm going to Lexington this weekend (Thursday thru Saturday). Any suggestions on what to see or do for a spouse that does not share my passion for thoroughbred horse racing? My afternoons will be at the track, and I've already purchased tickets for their Breeders' Cup tour ...

Hi Aug,
Check with some of our Kentucky posters, like Madelyn...she would have some suggestions for you? Here's something to check out concerning the track. TJ
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... neland-808

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Postby Aug27 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:49 pm

Thanks, TJ!
I checked out that Bloodhorse link ... Very well done. (I'm kind of surprised no other track's marketing folks had thought of such a "product" before.). An extremely good idea, IMO.

Getting excited about my trip ...

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:38 pm

:oops: I'm afraid my world is all about horses and I've never paid attention at all to anything else in Lexington! Keeneland, Fasig Tipton, the Farms, the Horse Park. That's it. I don't know anything about the other stuff but I would bet wherever you stay will have someone who knows and has info and brochures. Sorry.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

CherryDavis
2yo Maiden

Postby CherryDavis » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:10 am

Depending on if you will have kids with you or not, the bluegrass railroad does a fun little Halloween train this time of year. There are several historic home sites around like Ashland (the clay estate), the Mary Todd Lincoln house etc. The Griffin Gate offers spa services. If your spouse likes horses just not racing, the ky horse park is lovely. Lots of things to do there and it's about all breeds. They often have competitions or art shows going on there. Dinner at Malones is always a nice way to finish the day.

Realistically you do not have to enjoy racing to enjoy the atmosphere of Keeneland. It is a social gathering and a tradition that everyone who's anyone goes to. Don't forget your best hat and sport coat :lol:

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Postby Aug27 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:52 am

Thanks for the ideas. I think we'll try to catch the 10:15 Champions show at the Kty Horse Park and then the 11:00 'all breeds' presentation. Should be great for all, since we can take the dog, too!

CherryDavis
2yo Maiden

Postby CherryDavis » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:27 am

If you will be at the horse park, you will not want to miss the museum of the horse. They have the Calumet trophy collection. It is multiple rooms of jaw-dropping glory.

If your spouse is a reader, they will not want to miss the Joseph - Beth bookstore over at Lexington Green. The traffic is horrific over there but it's only about 5 - 10mins from Kee.

They have really expanded the downtown area too. I almost always stay at the downtown Hilton and it's amazing how much they've renovated and expanded the downtown in the past few years. There is a new coffee / chocolate shop down there, Shakespeare & Co. I haven't been there yet but it looks fun. There are several antique stores and shops within walking distance. If you guys like French cuisine, Le Deauville is excellent and just a couple blocks from the center of downtown. My French born broodmare manager took me there and it was exactly like all the restaurants we went to in France. I was surprised to find a place that authentically French in Lexington.