Saturday's BC Races

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Re: Saturday's BC Races

Postby TJ » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:11 pm

Cree wrote:Well, he really goes out like a champion. BUT, in my grouchy opinion, this race was a bit disappointing. No other speed to contend with, easy and relaxing on the front, what else could possibly have happened.
Kudos to Mike Smith and Effinex for trying to make into a horse race. Kudos to Honor Code for trying his best.
I don't know what happened with Tonalist, but I am very disappointed in him.

Hi Cree,
You know what happened to Tonalist...he needs those sweeping turns at Belmont Park. Yet both he and HC had no chance with the lack of speed in the race. I wonder if the owner of the 2nd place horse has to give his f'n ex a piece of the 2nd money:>) TJ

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:12 pm

Yes Tonalist had every chance, he was closer to the pace this time.

Good run by Effinex. Apparently I had him to show in one of my lesser bets.

A losing day over all, but fun nevertheless.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:16 pm

Okay guys, it was fun....this was one of the best BC in years. Some really nice horse. I think the one that really impressed me was Songbird.....I think she is the best of her generation, male or female. TJ

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:18 pm

So Cree, TJ, what were your standout Breeders Cup moments?

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:28 pm

American Pharaoh ran the race I hoped he would... going out with a bang! I believe I heard them say he set a course record?
I love this horse and am beyond happy that he is retiring on a high note.

Frosted was my pick to place or show... I have to watch it again to see what really happened. I was too busy screaming at the TV to see where everyone else was. :D

GRAND SLAM, baby!!! :mrgreen:

Congratulations to all of the winners today, great day of racing!

Edit: Found the times on Bloodhorse:
Giving the fans everything they wanted to see, American Pharoah set fractions of :23.99, :47.40, and 1:11.21 through six furlongs, then drew away to a 6 1/2-length win—tying with Volponi (2002) for largest Classic margin of victory. Zayat Stables' homebred son of Pioneerof the Nile brought down the curtain on a legendary career when smoking 1 1/4 miles in 2:00.07, the fastest race run at the distance in Keeneland history on any surface.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:17 pm

Songbird was pretty impressive. She really captures your imagination.
I also really enjoyed Liams Map's race yesterday. I loved the way he won that race - he didn't need a rider, he was so determined.
Hmm...La Verdad running her eyeballs out. It's just nice to see a horse lay it all down like that.
Tepin (despite my money being on Mondialiste) was fun! And I always like seeing Grand Arch do well.
Tonalist was my biggest disappointment, but I guess he answered our questions.
I love the Breeders Cup.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:06 pm

Hi Cree

I'm not normally a fan of Joe Drape, far from it in fact, but I thought you might find his perspective on the BC Classic interesting http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/sports/american-pharoah-ends-career-with-win-at-breeders-cup.html?_r=1 .

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:03 pm

Oh, I definitely agree there. They were sporting in keeping him in training - something we don't always see with these top colts. And they were ultimately rewarded. The horse has something about him - and that was about as good a swan song as you can imagine.

I don't ever really go down the path of "the-best-horse-I've-ever-seen". I just don't know how to compare horses that never raced against each other or track conditions, weather, training methods etc etc etc.

I suppose I wanted more, I always do in these big races. Someone to come from last to win (or lose) by a nose. It gets my heart pumping. :-) He is definitely special and a very likable fellow, but somehow I'm left wanting!!!

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:13 pm

I actually think that years in the future, when American Pharoah's legacy is discussed, the Travers and the duel with Frosted will be mentioned as the race in which he showed he had the real heart of a Champion when he was crowded and headed and came back to put Frosted away.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:46 am

I was very impressed with Songbird...if she stays sound she will stand alone in her generation, male or female.
Runhappy was another who will be heard from....also contingent on staying sound. There is a good chance he will try longer distances in the near future.
For me I was happy to see American Pharoah win at this distance for the first time, in the same authoritative manner he has in all his other exciting wins. Though the field left much to be desired when Beholder scratched....not that they were bad horses in the field, but it became a lopsided pace affair which is AP's "meat". This win, I believe makes him the single most prized commodity at stud that America has ever seen.
Friday I was impressed with Stellar Wind and Stopchargingmaria. I believe Stellar Wind locked up the 3YO filly championship in that race and Stopcharginmaria may have taken older mare....she's such a hard trying mare.
Unfortunately many of the Euro's were compromised with the track condition and leaving the gate, though performed very well. It's tough when you come all this way and get compromised in one way or another...knowing you can't get even because your flight back is all ready booked:>) No doubt they have a heck of a group of horses across the pond and in general their turf runners are amazing. Overall one of the best BC series put on....Keeneland did a great job. TJ
Last edited by TJ on Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:48 am

geowarrior wrote:I'm not normally a fan of Joe Drape, far from it in fact, but I thought you might find his perspective on the BC Classic interesting http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/sports/american-pharoah-ends-career-with-win-at-breeders-cup.html?_r=1 .

He said it perfectly... American Pharoah restored the magic in horse racing.

I can say that AP pulled me back into it this year, and I've never been emotional over any race or racehorse... but I had tears after the Belmont and his race yesterday. To see so many other people, like Bob Baffert, choked up... he is a special horse. I have a framed photo of him crossing the finish line at Belmont, his Breyer model, collectors' pins... he captured my heart this year, regardless of where history ranks him against greats like Secretariat and the other Crown winners. Love him.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:00 pm

TJ wrote:I was very impressed with Songbird...if she stays sound she will stand alone in her generation, male or female.
Runhappy was another who will be heard from....also contingent on staying sound. There is a good chance he will try longer distances in the near future.
For me I was happy to see American Pharoah win at this distance for the first time, in the same authoritative manner he has in all his other exciting wins. Though the field left much to be desired when Beholder scratched....not that they were bad horses in the field, but it became a lopsided pace affair which is AP's "meat". This win, I believe makes him the single most prized commodity at stud that America has ever seen.
Friday I was impressed with Stellar Wind and Stopchargingmaria. I believe Stellar Wind locked up the 3YO filly championship in that race and Stopcharginmaria may have taken older mare....she's such a hard trying mare.
Unfortunately many of the Euro's were compromised with the track condition and leaving the gate, though performed very well. It's tough when you come all this way and get compromised in one way or another...knowing you can't get even because your flight back is all ready booked:>) No doubt they have a heck of a group of horses across the pond and in general their turf runners are amazing. Overall one of the best BC series put on....Keeneland did a great job. TJ

This win may have been even more authoritative than it looked. The Beyer figure was 120 (heard on TVG) and I read in the Bloodhorse that the time for the mile and a quarter was the fastest ever run at Keeneland over any surface.

I think Found, Tepin and Songbird were the moments that will stick with me most in addition to the Classic.

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:00 pm

Just curious... what do you all think about Nyquist? I'm going to be keeping tabs on him, and Songbird for sure. I hope Runhappy doesn't end up in a bad way... I don't get it, but hope the horse doesn't pay for his owners' decision.

Looking at American Pharoah getting dropped off at the stud farm this morning was bittersweet. Sad that this amazing trip is over. For Bob, I don't know how you go back to training "ordinary" horses, after a horse like him... I would feel a hole in my heart for a long time.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:30 pm

skeenan wrote:Just curious... what do you all think about Nyquist? I'm going to be keeping tabs on him, and Songbird for sure. I hope Runhappy doesn't end up in a bad way... I don't get it, but hope the horse doesn't pay for his owners' decision.

Looking at American Pharoah getting dropped off at the stud farm this morning was bittersweet. Sad that this amazing trip is over. For Bob, I don't know how you go back to training "ordinary" horses, after a horse like him... I would feel a hole in my heart for a long time.

I don't love Nyquist. Over the longer distances they'll face next year I like Swipe to turn the tables.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:02 pm

skeenan wrote:Just curious... what do you all think about Nyquist? I'm going to be keeping tabs on him, and Songbird for sure. I hope Runhappy doesn't end up in a bad way... I don't get it, but hope the horse doesn't pay for his owners' decision.

Hi Skeenna,
Nyquist will have distance limitations...he's all ready been treated with shockwave therapy so he has issues. Add the distance limitations and it's possible he won't handle the grueling road to the TC. Songbird will make mince meat out of all the 2YO's out there, including Nyquist if they opt to run her against the boys. Both her last two races have been far superior (visually and time wise) to the boys division on the same day.....she is what we affectionately call a "freak".
Don't worry about Baffert....he will have one of the best 4YO's in training in Dortmund. He was on the back burner because he came around the same time as AP....he will get Bob's undivided attention this year, watch and see what he does. TJ