Tonalist to stud in 2016?

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Tonalist to stud in 2016?

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:45 am

I have been expecting to see something about Tonalist maybe going to some stud farm for 2016. After all, he is 4 years old and has done just about anything one could reasonably expect a horse to do in a racing career, winning the Belmont Stakes and multiple graded stakes races and a whole bunch of money.

He could win a lot more money if he continues to race. He could also get hurt. Tonalist is a son of Tapit, who is probably the hottest stallion in the country right now. Most stud farms would love to have a son of Tapit as a stallion, and Tonalist is one of Tapit's best sons.

It could be that a deal is being worked out right now as I write this. Anyone hear any rumors or anything about Tonalist?
Shawklit Won.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: Tonalist to stud in 2016?

Postby Cree » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:32 am

As far as I know, he is still in training. He has also been incredibly sound his whole career and racing doesn't seem to take much out of him.
This was last year:
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... n-tonalist

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:04 pm

Cree wrote:As far as I know, he is still in training. He has also been incredibly sound his whole career and racing doesn't seem to take much out of him.
This was last year:
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... n-tonalist

Thanks Cree: Glad that you posted that. I hadn't seen it before.

So, it looks like Lane's End for Tonalist. I was just recently thinking that Lane's End did not have a son of Tapit there yet, but it looks like they will pretty soon. Of course. Lane's End is one of the very big stud farms, so it follows that they would get a son of Tapit there. They have just about stallions from all other major sire lines. Only question now is when he will go to stud.
Shawklit Won.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:55 am

He goes next in the Cigar Mile. Will race in 2016.

Turns out Lanes End deal is off the table. http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... r-tonalist

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:21 pm

Cree wrote:He goes next in the Cigar Mile. Will race in 2016.

Turns out Lanes End deal is off the table. http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... r-tonalist

Thanks again Cree. Just when you think that you know what is going on, you find out that you don't. The good news is that it looks like Tonalist will e racing again next year. The bad news is that Tonalist will not be going to stud at Lane's End, at least not next year and probably never. But, if he stays healthy, Tonalist will be going to stud sometime, someplace.
Shawklit Won.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:37 pm

Wonder why the Lane's End deal was taken off the table? Tonalist seems like a solid sire prospect.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:44 pm

geowarrior wrote:Wonder why the Lane's End deal was taken off the table? Tonalist seems like a solid sire prospect.

My uneducated guess is that Lane's End wanted to make room for their Honor Code and Liam's Map, and Tonalist owner Robert Evans decided that he wanted to run him for another year. So, they mutually agreed to nix the deal.

I agree that Tonalist is a very good stallion prospect.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:45 am

Turns out that Tonalist is going to stud, at Lanes End. Lanes End has added about 5 new stallions this year, but being Lanes End, I am sure that all the new stallions will get plenty of good breeding opportunities.

Tonalist should do well at stud. Will be interesting to see.
Shawklit Won.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:17 am

4 new stallions, not 5... and some very nice stallion prospects indeed: Honor Code, Liams Map, Mr. Speaker, and Tonalist.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:04 pm

I was rounding up.

I agree. Very good stallion prospects. With the 4 new stallions for 2016, I would not be surprised to see a couple or so of Lanes End's lesser stallions (those not making a lot of money) moved on to other farms. I don't particularly like to see that, but it would not surprise me.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:48 am

Shawklit Won wrote:I was rounding up.

I agree. Very good stallion prospects. With the 4 new stallions for 2016, I would not be surprised to see a couple or so of Lanes End's lesser stallions (those not making a lot of money) moved on to other farms. I don't particularly like to see that, but it would not surprise me.

Stephen Got Even was just pensioned from Lanes End. SGE was 19 and probably starting to have fertility issues. So, that makes a little more room for the new stallions at Lanes End.

Hope that Stephen Got Even likes it at his new home (Old Friends).
Shawklit Won.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:16 am

I don't know if he was declining in fertility, or if they were just retiring him out of respect. He's an incredibly classy horse, but he hasn't proven incredibly popular at stud - his offspring aren't selling well, and this frees up a stall.
And they've got some new stallions from that sire line in Honor Code, Mr. Speaker and Tonalist.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:46 pm

Cree wrote:I don't know if he was declining in fertility, or if they were just retiring him out of respect. He's an incredibly classy horse, but he hasn't proven incredibly popular at stud - his offspring aren't selling well, and this frees up a stall.
And they've got some new stallions from that sire line in Honor Code, Mr. Speaker and Tonalist.

I was always surprised that he wasn't that popular at stud. He did sire some very good horses. Maybe it was because his BM sire, Cox's Ridge, wasn't particularly fashionable as say...Mr. Prospector.

Anyway, hope for all the best for Stephen Got Even.
Shawklit Won.