The Handicap Division 2015-2016

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The Handicap Division 2015-2016

Postby TJ » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:13 am

My first thought was Dortmund would be the top handicap horse in the nation in the tail end of 2015 into 2016 after American Pharoah, Honor Code and Liam's Map have all entered stud. We still have Beholder currently in training, who could make a race of it in 2015, if she opts to try Dortmund in the GR I Clarke Handicap at CD Thanksgiving weekend, as the mare Frivolous will attempt in her final career race? With less then 2 months in the 2015 season we have two champions on the comeback trail. Shared Belief and California Chrome, who should offer plenty competition to the older handicap division. Shared Belief has just started back, so he won't be ready to run for a few months. California Chrome had his first breeze this AM....rather slow, but well held, since it was his first move in a long time. Art Sherman was very pleased and noted he may get ready sooner then he thought....he's figuring the Santa Anita meet as long as his weekly breeze schedule isn't upset. Here's a video's of CC first breeze, very eager and happy...he looks great! TJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZSey_9BytI

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: The Handicap Division 2015-2016

Postby Cree » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:51 pm

Tonalist and Effinex are still going to be around.
Frosted
The gelding that scratched just before the classic - Smooth Roller, if he is sound.
Keen Ice
I am sure Pletcher has somebody up his sleeve :D

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:43 pm

Cree wrote:Tonalist and Effinex are still going to be around.
Frosted
The gelding that scratched just before the classic - Smooth Roller, if he is sound.
Keen Ice
I am sure Pletcher has somebody up his sleeve :D

Hi Cree,
Yes, I considered them....but thought those five as well as Lea and Wicked Strong seem to be a cut below CC, Dortmund, Beholder or Shared Belief IF all come back good? I guess Pletcher's contribution might be Commissioner or Coach Inge....but they're fair at best?
There are a couple still on the shelf who could become contenders with the top four, Firing Line (undisclosed injury) and Texas Red (bone bruise)..but both seem to be having a hard time healing and last word was they are pointing to 2016....IF? TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:49 pm

TJ,
Lea is retired now at Claiborne, and I believe Wicked Strong is done as well.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:56 pm

Cree wrote:TJ,
Lea is retired now at Claiborne, and I believe Wicked Strong is done as well.

Hi Cree,
Thanks for the update....glad to hear Lea's been retired, he's been a good horse for a long time, hope he does well at stud. TJ

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:23 am

I thought Firing Line was scheduled to come back in 2016? If so, I think he'd be a contender.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:09 am

geowarrior wrote:I thought Firing Line was scheduled to come back in 2016? If so, I think he'd be a contender.

Hi Geo,
My post 3 above yours mentions Firing Line and Texas Red are both expected to return in 2016. Firing Line's injury has never been revealed and it may be that they just aren't sure what is wrong.....so they are giving him plenty time to let nature take its course. He's been away over 4 months at this point and no updates as to his condition? I mentioned way back when he broke so poorly in the Preakness, that he should feel the effects of that splay legged start, which had to be painful and most likely why he had to be laid up.
I do agree with you though, if he comes back okay, he would be a serious contender after handling Dortmund the way he did in the Derby. It should be a very exciting year once again with a solid handicap division and exciting 2YO's who will make the 2016 3YO picture very interesting. Racing always stays new and fresh...even when we lose Champions like American Pharoah to the breeding shed, there's always the next 3YO generation to capture our imagination while we look for the next TC Champion:>) TJ

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:03 pm

Oops sorry TJ I must not have noticed that in your post.

Of the potential three year olds only Songbird really excites and I think there is potential for improvement in Swipe.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:31 pm

Flying under the radar is a very nice 2-year-old that Roger Attfield trains, Shakhimat, who romped in the Coronation Futurity this weekend. Attfield wasn't sure if he would stretch out, and he did it in style.

Sometimes it is difficult to tell the average 2-year-olds from the really good 2-year-olds at Woodbine in the Ontario-bred races. The Coronation Futurity has produced horses like Up With The Birds, Leonnatus Anteas, Ablo, and A Bit O Gold in recent years.

Not that I think Shakhimat will be a force in Triple Crown races, it was nice to see an impressive 2-year-old up here.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:50 pm

Hi Cree, Geo,
Roger Attfield is a top conditioner and that horse of his looked pretty good. Mohaymen, who won the Nashua also looked good winning recently...Mohaymen received a 97 equibase figure and Roger's horse got a 96 in his romp in the Coronation. Both seem to be respectable 2YO's with a future. We should get to see them both down here in a couple months at Gulfstream Park when they turn 3.
Geo, I agree with you, Songbird could be one of the best filly's we have seen in a very long time. The way she's put together and her size and scope as a 2YO, she could have little trouble handling the boys if she moves forward as a 3YO...she is a very exciting horse. The two colts above and Nyquist who deserves a mention (even if all 3 of us think he will need a van to go a mile and a quarter:>) when looking at the Equibase figures Nyquist a 105 and Songbird at 110
points Songbird out as a possible super star. It will be interesting to see if Hollendorfer decides to go after the boys....and tackle the Derby or stick with the ladies? Like I said, racing stays fresh and the interest is already high looking toward the 2016 crop of 3YO's. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:04 pm

Add another horse to the handicap division as a possible - Eagle. He has won 2 of his last 3 off of an 8 month break for Neil Howard.
I thought this colt was one to watch during the Derby prep races, then he was injured following the LeComte S. in January.

Might be one to watch moving forward.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:08 pm

Cree wrote:Add another horse to the handicap division as a possible - Eagle. He has won 2 of his last 3 off of an 8 month break for Neil Howard.
I thought this colt was one to watch during the Derby prep races, then he was injured following the LeComte S. in January.

Might be one to watch moving forward.

Hi Cree,
He was also nominated to the Clark Handicap, so he may be coming around for Neil Howard and Will Farish? Though the Clark comes back a bit quick after his last win, so he may not be entered?
Here's a look at the most likely probables/possibles for the 3YO and up Gr I Clark Handicap to be run Friday 11/27 at CD going 1 1/8th miles. Looks like a solid race. Should be interesting to see who else might show up besides these at entry time (Commissioner, Eagle?). TJ

Dortmund
Race Day
Keen Ice
Protonico
Effinex
Mr Z
Hoppertunity
Shotgun Kowboy
Frivolous (if she goes it will be her final race?)

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:41 am

That's shaping up to be a pretty good race.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:44 pm

If all goes well, there may be another handicap horse making a comeback for the 2016 season. Ride on Curlin is expected to make his return to the races at the Fair Grounds 11/26 in the Thanksgiving Day Handicap at a distance of 6 furlongs. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:53 pm

Ride On Curlin? Where has he been, I forgot about him.