Runhappy

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Re: Runhappy

Postby geowarrior » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:31 am

I hope Wohlers isn't working him too hard.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:26 am

On Tuesday (12/8), Runhappy had his first breeze over the Santa Anita track in preparation for the Malibu Stakes on opening day (Sat. 12/26) at SA. He worked a "bullet" 3/4's in 1:11 4/5 and galloped out 7/8ths in 1:24 4/5's. The Malibu is a GR I race restricted to 3YO's over a distance of 7f....won last year by Shared Belief. TJ

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:51 am

geowarrior wrote:I hope Wohlers isn't working him too hard.

On Facebook, many people are commenting negatively. I think people are impressed with Runhappy... with the owner/trainer, not so much. :wink:

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:25 pm

Runhappy worked a solid 7/8ths with Gary Stevens in the irons today (12/15) at Santa Anita...he went by the 3/4's in 1:11.80 and the 7/8ths in 1:25.40. Stevens will ride Runhappy in the Malibu Stakes (Dec. 26th) after Edgar Prado was injured Dec. 13th at Gulfstream Park and will be out of action for 2 months. TJ

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:51 am

Runhappy became a three-time grade I winner Dec. 26 at Santa Anita Park, where he set the pace and pulled away from the field to win the $300,000 Malibu Stakes (gr. I) by 3 1/2 lengths.

The Super Saver colt, who races without Lasix, clicked off fractions of :22.62, :44.81, and 1:09.06 through six furlongs under Gary Stevens, aboard for the first time, and hit the wire in 1:21.76 to claim the seven-furlong event. "He blows me away," Stevens said. "That was only the second time I've sat on him and to get to feel that power coming into the stretch was awesome."

The victory gave trainer Laura Wohlers her first grade I victory and her first graded score. She took over from trainer Maria Borell after Runhappy won the Breeders' Cup Sprint. Borell has a lawsuit pending against the colt's owner, James McIngvale, seeking money from purses the colt earned under her care.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:15 am

I was just looking up his dam, Bella Jolie. She was sold for $220,000 as a yearling to clients of Pletcher, but ended up dropping to a $5000 claiming price, and was claimed twice for that price.
Then produced this wickedly fast colt, and sold for $1.6 million at the KeeNov Breeding sale this year.

That gives hope for people looking for good broodmare prospects by claiming mares.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:31 pm

The good news is, Runhappy has no problem winning races in anyone's hands. Seems both Runhappy and Borell landed on their feet. Borell claimed two recently here at GP for Pegasis Investment Group. In addition, Drawing Away Stable, a solid claiming outfit out of NY, will be sending her horses shortly.
Unfortunately, it seems Borell was well aware of the terms of her verbal contract as attested to in her e-mails to Wohlers. So I doubt she will win her current law suit....yet her association with Runhappy moved her career along even though she may have been dishonest in creating this entire drama. That being said, I wonder if Wohlers will get 10% of Runhappy's win at Santa Anita:>) TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:33 pm

Truthfully, I stopped paying attention to the Borel case because it was all too dramatic for me.
I like horse racing for the horses :-)

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:29 am

Runhappy is back in the news again, but this time he isn't winning races...he has an ongoing foot bruise. Last time Runhappy was in Wohlers hands, he won a race then went bad and she gave him to another trainer to get him sound. Now he's back with Wohlers and seems like the same scenario is playing out. You have to feel sorry for this great little horse...he deserves better. TJ
http://www.drf.com/news/foot-injury-con ... s-training

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:37 pm

TJ wrote:Runhappy is back in the news again, but this time he isn't winning races...he has an ongoing foot bruise. Last time Runhappy was in Wohlers hands, he won a race then went bad and she gave him to another trainer to get him sound. Now he's back with Wohlers and seems like the same scenario is playing out. You have to feel sorry for this great little horse...he deserves better. TJ
http://www.drf.com/news/foot-injury-con ... s-training

Sucky situation for sure. Poor Runhappy, he does deserve better... :(