Alto Sky

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Re: Alto Sky

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:46 pm

Jane wrote:Is this horse not a gelding?

I don't see Leadem In Ken listed as a gelding anywhere on the net. That doesn't mean that he isn't a gelding. Do you know something that I don't?

I hope that he is not a gelding, because he could have a possible stud career someplace. Otherwise, who knows what will happen to him. If he is a gelding, then he will probably keep racing as long as he can, and finish his racing career as an old horse in claiming races, if he doesn't get hurt first.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:03 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:
Jane wrote:Is this horse not a gelding?

I don't see Leadem In Ken listed as a gelding anywhere on the net. That doesn't mean that he isn't a gelding. Do you know something that I don't?

I hope that he is not a gelding, because he could have a possible stud career someplace. Otherwise, who knows what will happen to him. If he is a gelding, then he will probably keep racing as long as he can, and finish his racing career as an old horse in claiming races, if he doesn't get hurt first.

Oh oh. I think that Jane was referring to Alto Sky and not Leadem In Ken. I just looked it up at equibase, and Alto Sky is now listed as a gelding.

Alto Sky is not off to a very good start as a racehorse, so his handlers will try to do anything that they can to get him to improve. Unfortunately, that includes gelding. Well, Alto Sky did not look like any stallion prospect the way he was racing, so maybe he will be one of the lucky ones that will end up on a nice farm when he is done racing. I hope so.
Shawklit Won.

hpkingjr

Re: Storm Cat 3x3

Postby hpkingjr » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:16 pm

DDT wrote:Shawklit Won

An interesting side note is the fact that Alto Sky is inbred 3X3 to Storm Cat, a horse that was trained by Hall of Famer Jonathon Sheppard, the trainer of Alto Sky. If anybody can get the most out of this horse by switching to grass it is Mr. Sheppard, make no mistake about that.

DDT

Another 3x3 Storm Cat. Won the San Francisco Mile at Golden Gate paid $94.00

http://www.pedigreequery.com/pepper+crown
Give the Pope and the King of England a horse and in thirty days, they'll be stealing halters.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Re: Storm Cat 3x3

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:28 pm

hpkingjr wrote:
DDT wrote:Shawklit Won

An interesting side note is the fact that Alto Sky is inbred 3X3 to Storm Cat, a horse that was trained by Hall of Famer Jonathon Sheppard, the trainer of Alto Sky. If anybody can get the most out of this horse by switching to grass it is Mr. Sheppard, make no mistake about that.

DDT

Another 3x3 Storm Cat

http://www.pedigreequery.com/pepper+crown

Yes, and he just won a mile stakes race on turf. Could turn out to be a popular cross (3X3 to Storm Car). Thanks for posting.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:10 pm

I won't be surprised if Alto Sky's next race is a claiming race (maiden claiming). If he has been gelded, then he will most likely end up in claiming races anyway.

Might be a good horse to place a little money on if his next is a claiming race. He is liable to go off at about 50 to 1.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:50 pm

Alto Sky had a workout at Delaware Park on Tuesday (6/24). It wasn't particularly impressive, but it was his first work after a layoff, so he probably wasn't pushed at all.

So, I guess that he will race again, maybe at Delaware. That should be easier than a MSW at Gulfstream in February or March. Maybe he will race in another MSW at Delaware or where ever.

Many of the best 3 year old colts are no longer maidens, so it should be a little easier to win now. Also, maybe his trainer has worked with him and found a way to improve him. I guess that we will find out sometime up the road.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:43 pm

Another workout again today (7/2) for Alto Sky at Delaware Park. This one was much faster than the last one (a full 4 seconds faster; 1:00:80 compared with the last one at 1:04:80). It was the second fastest of 14 at that distance at Delaware today. I thought that it would be awhile before Alto Sky would race again, but after today's workout, it might be sooner than I thought.

It should be interesting to see if he has improved and by how much.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:34 pm

Alto Sky is entered in the 2nd race at Delaware Park on Saturday (7/12). It is a MSW, 1 1/16 miles on turf. Maybe turf is the answer for Alto Sky. After all, he is inbred 3x3 to Storm Cat, which means that he is also inbred to Storm Bird 4x4. His broodmare sire is Dynaformer, son of Roberto. So, there are some grass sires in his pedigree. Also 5x5x5 to Secretariat, who won a couple on the turf.

Should be interesting to see if there is an improvement in Alto Sky.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:47 pm

I saw how much that Alto Sky improved today. The answer is, not much if at all. Despite the gelding, the layoff, and the easier track, and whatever else his handlers did to make him improve, he finished about the same as in his earlier races, up the track. It could be that Alto Sky just does not have it as a racehorse.

I hope that Alto Sky ends up on a nice farm when his racing days are done, which may be soon.

I will pretend to be a seer. Alto Sky, I see claiming races in your future.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:18 pm

I can't believe it. Alto Sky just missed, by a nose, in a MSW at Presque Isle today. I don't know what happened to him, but he did not look like the same horse that he has in his past races. He really came on at the end of the race and almost won. I know that PID is not Gulfstream (winter meet), but I am still surprised and glad.

I guess that I was wrong about claiming races, at least for now. Now I wish that he wasn't gelded.
Shawklit Won.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:40 am

This horse is now retired and is in training through the Retired Racehorse Project. Nice to see him get a chance in a different career!

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:23 pm

Good for him. I wish him good luck.

Thanks for the info.
Shawklit Won.