Irish Derby Star St. Jovite Dead at 27

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Irish Derby Star St. Jovite Dead at 27

Postby Patuxet » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:26 pm

St. Jovite has died at Greentree Stud in County Tipperary where he had stood since 2006. After running 2nd to Dr Devious in the 1992 Epsom Derby, he revenged that loss by 12 lengths in the Irish Derby in record-breaking time. A son of Kentucky Derby winner Pleasant Colony out of the Northfields mare Northern Sunset, he was owned and bred by Virginia Kraft Payson.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Re: Irish Derby Star St. Jovite Dead at 27

Postby Mahubah » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:23 pm

I've put up a page for St. Jovite at American Classic Pedigrees (http://www.americanclassicpedigrees.com/st-jovite.html). He was one good racehorse; to bad he turned out such a poor sire.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Re: Irish Derby Star St. Jovite Dead at 27

Postby erins isle » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:01 am

Hi Paxtuet and Mahubah,

That memorable day at the Curragh....I was there and as a dedicated Ahonoora fan of course I hoped Dr. Devious would finish first. St. Jovite however was a great winner and it sure was a great day racing. R.I.P. St. Jovite.
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.