The Handicap Division 2015-2016

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Re: The Handicap Division 2015-2016

Postby TJ » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:46 pm

Cree wrote:Ride On Curlin? Where has he been, I forgot about him.

Hi Cree,
He didn't finish in the 2014 Belmont Stakes and they said he bled and would get a long rest before he returned. He came back in Jan. 2015 and won an allowance race going 3/4's (so looking forward to see if they do run him in the Thanksgiving Day Handicap). He was 2nd the following month in a non graded stake....then ran back in a couple graded races and he finished last in both....last race being on May 1st of this year. This time they said he got roughed up in the race and would head back to the farm to regroup. He's been in training at CD and I guess they feel he's good to go for round 3:>) I hope he runs well...I'll post the race if he shows up in it. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:34 am

Looks like Beholder was sent to the farm for a little break, posted in a DRF tweet. She's expected to return to Mandella in early January. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:10 pm

If Dortmund stays sound....he should be a major player in 2016. BUT, it seems he missed the Clark because he popped a small quarter crack and needed a bit more time before they could apply a patch. The trouble with this is, if he started popping quarter cracks after his first race, not to mention all the time off he had (which should have grown in some strong hoof) and considering his size and weight....it could well plague him throughout 2016.
Now to add a bit of insult to his quarter crack injury, he wins the Native Diver carrying more weight than he was supposed to. That is just crazy when the trainer as well as the racing office double check the weight which is to be carried by each horse in a race according to the race conditions. Don't know how a trainer like Baffert didn't see the error, and more so the racing office?? His horse who was running with a fresh patch on his hoof had to carry an additional 3lbs in the race? Here's the conditions below, plain as day...3YO's 121, Older 124, Dortmund carried 124! TJ
Weights: Three-year-olds 121 lbs. Older 124 lbs. Non-winners of a Gr I race at a mile or over in 2014-15 allowed 2 lbs., of a Gr II race at a mile or over in 2015 allowed 4 lbs., of a Gr II race at a mile or over in 2014 or a Gr III race at a mile or over in 2014-15 allowed 6 lbs.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:01 pm

Sad news, Shared Belief died today while undergoing colic surgery. More info in the racing section. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:12 pm

Tonalist is retired to Lanes End Farm now.

Another blow to the handicap division for 2016.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Cree wrote:Tonalist is retired to Lanes End Farm now.

Another blow to the handicap division for 2016.

Hi Cree,
I was just going to post that. I have to say I've been worried about him ever since he had front wraps applied for the first time 2 races back. Though Clement said he retired completely sound...doesn't make sense with the possibility of being a top contender in the 2016 Handicap division? His retirement came rather abruptly and I kinda think he may have sprung a minor leak after that grueling win in the Cigar Mile last time....no better time to retire him than after a win and breeders love sires that win GR I races at a mile. Clement still has Red Vine for the 2016 Handicap division. TJ
PS...Social Inclusion was also retired today...no plans concerning stud duty as yet?

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:24 pm

I kind of figured it was something physical, but it's nothing glaring so they are going with "retired sound". Regardless, he is an impressive looking horse with a quality pedigree and race record. I am personally disappointed but at least he goes out on a winning note.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:07 am

As the 2016 Handicap Division prepare to do battle...it looks as if California Chrome could be at the top of the list. Dortmund who was considering a run against CC this Saturday has been withdrawn after a mediocre breeze. Baffert said his ultimate goal is the Santa Anita Handicap March 12th which will effectively put off these two meeting since CC will be headed to Dubai for his 2nd try in the Dubai World Cup March 26th. What surprises me is that Dortmund is still plagued with foot issues after all the time off he's had? On the other foot:>), CC has come back better than he's ever been. Although he's been known to need a race or two off a layoff, that may not be the case as he prepares for his 2016 debut in the San Pasqual this Saturday (1/9) at Santa Anita. His recent late morning public breeze at SA was eye popping!!
They draw the GR II San Pasqual tomorrow and will post the entries and past performances as soon as they are made available. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:54 pm

Dortmund's 2016 debut postponed once again. Of interest in the article is Baffert will face California Chrome with Hoppertunity in the Dubai World Cup. In addition Frosted is also signed on for the World Cup and will run in a prep Feb. 4th in Dubai. CC gets his prep in Dubai on Feb. 25th. Getting back to Dortmund...here's the story. TJ
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... r-dortmund

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:36 pm

There's something about Dortmund I have never liked at all. he looks unbalanced; chunky and awkward and not smooth to me. Just an instinct. Anybody else agree?
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:00 pm

Toccet02 wrote:There's something about Dortmund I have never liked at all. he looks unbalanced; chunky and awkward and not smooth to me. Just an instinct. Anybody else agree?

Hi Toccet,
I've never really noticed that when I look at him...he is massive and very muscular though and seems to have a slightly small head and short neck (for his size) which makes him look strange to me:>) He does have long pasterns and small feet that could be creating problems for him this year?
Check out these photos: note his long pasterns and low heels, conducive to quarter cracks in this one. https://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaem ... iginal.jpg
He's massive.... http://c482943.r43.cf2.rackcdn.com/Dort ... 20Jade.jpg
http://cdn.bloodhorse.com/images/conten ... BEN298.jpg
He seems to move well though and he's so fast for a big horse...but he's had it tough since the Preakness. Back in August, he was on his way back and got cast in his stall bruising his ribs and scraping up his head. Then after his return 2 months later, in the Big Bear Stakes he had to miss the Clark because of a quarter crack. He went to the Native Diver shortly after and won that....which brings us to him missing the San Pasqual in January and a chance to run against CC. Another month goes by and he didn't work to Baffert's expectations and will now miss his 2nd planned 2016 debut in the San Antonio. I do hope he gets an opportunity to get back to the races in top shape, even with his setbacks he still came back and won two in a row after a 5+ month layoff. It would be a shame if he doesn't get a chance to show us what a sound Dortmund could do in 2016 against the best in the nation. TJ

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:27 pm

TJ wrote:
Toccet02 wrote:There's something about Dortmund I have never liked at all. he looks unbalanced; chunky and awkward and not smooth to me. Just an instinct. Anybody else agree?

Hi Toccet,
I've never really noticed that when I look at him...he is massive and very muscular though and seems to have a slightly small head and short neck (for his size) which makes him look strange to me:>) He does have long pasterns and small feet that could be creating problems for him this year?
Check out these photos: note his long pasterns and low heels, conducive to quarter cracks in this one. https://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaem ... iginal.jpg
He's massive.... http://c482943.r43.cf2.rackcdn.com/Dort ... 20Jade.jpg
http://cdn.bloodhorse.com/images/conten ... BEN298.jpg
He seems to move well though and he's so fast for a big horse...but he's had it tough since the Preakness. Back in August, he was on his way back and got cast in his stall bruising his ribs and scraping up his head. Then after his return 2 months later, in the Big Bear Stakes he had to miss the Clark because of a quarter crack. He went to the Native Diver shortly after and won that....which brings us to him missing the San Pasqual in January and a chance to run against CC. Another month goes by and he didn't work to Baffert's expectations and will now miss his 2nd planned 2016 debut in the San Antonio. I do hope he gets an opportunity to get back to the races in top shape, even with his setbacks he still came back and won two in a row after a 5+ month layoff. It would be a shame if he doesn't get a chance to show us what a sound Dortmund could do in 2016 against the best in the nation. TJ

Well. I guess now I've helped you notice! He looks almost ewe necked at times...and yow, those pasterns. I'd stay far away were I a breeder. It's the massive body on small feet that make him look "chunky" to me.

----Arrested Development

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:23 am

He is strangely put together no doubt - it's the short neck on such a powerful body that throws me off.

I wonder if Baffert working him so fast and hard isn't the best thing for him? I looked at his work pattern over the last 2 months and he has him firing bullets. The "he's not ready" excuse is a bit odd, when you look at the works. Must be battling something to do with soundness (be it a hoof issue or ?), that's the only thing that makes sense to me.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:09 pm

If it's a foot issue Baffert can get him back - he has the patience. Who can forget Midnight Lute?

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:19 pm

geowarrior wrote:If it's a foot issue Baffert can get him back - he has the patience. Who can forget Midnight Lute?

I can't . . .but I loved his build just as much as I hate Dortmund's . . .

----Arrested Development