The Gr II San Vicente Stakes

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The Gr II San Vicente Stakes

Postby TJ » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:57 am

No Derby points here, but it marks 2YO champion Nyquist's 3YO Monday Feb. 15th at SA. A small field gets spiced up with some interesting shippers. Below are the entries and pp's. TJ

5th Race. (C8) The 76th Running of The San Vicente Stakes (Grade II)
Purse $200,000 Guaranteed Seven Furlongs
FOR THREE-YEAR-OLDS.
1 NYQUIST (L) '13 C 124 Gutierrez, M Reddam Racing, LLC Doug O'Neill
2 ELECTRIFYING (L) '13 C 120 Baze, T Kaleem Shah, Inc. Bob Baffert
3 EL CHARRO (L) '13 C 120 Talamo, J Head of Plains Partners LLC or Jacobson David Jacobson
4 DENMAN'S CALL (L) '13 G 120 Prat, F Gilman Racing or Westside Rentals.com or W. C. Racing, Inc. Doug O'Neill
5 EXAGGERATOR (L) '13 C 124 Desormeaux, K Big Chief Racing, LLC, Rocker O Ranch, LLC or Desormeaux J. Keith Desormeaux
6 SHEIKH OF SHEIKHS (L) '13 C 120 Bejarano, R Abdullah Saeed Almaddah Wesley A. Ward

Click on Denman's Call: http://www.tlore.net/trainers/oneill/public/brisnet.cfm

TJ
Darley line

Re: The Gr II San Vicente Stakes

Postby TJ » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:40 pm

Nyquist
Exaggerator

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:26 am

Can't disagree with your choices at all here. I think Exaggerator wants more distance, and that this is exactly the type of race Nyquist will be successful in.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:25 am

Cree wrote:Can't disagree with your choices at all here. I think Exaggerator wants more distance, and that this is exactly the type of race Nyquist will be successful in.

Hi Cree,
Yes, that's exactly why I thought Nyquist would be successful at 7 furlongs. Though I thought Sheikh of Sheikhs and El Charro can possibly run very well in here, both ran against some nice horses and will be interested to see how they perform at SA. then I can't forget about Nyquist getting shockwave therapy and all the time off he's had since he ran his winning race 3 weeks afterwards?
We both have been against Nyquist going long....but I wonder what Darley saw in him to buy his breeding rights, it has me thinking he might be able to stretch out? I'm a bit confused with the whole thing, distance, soundness etc:>) Nyquist will be heading to South Florida to run in the Florida Derby after this, so I guess that will be a factor for me and hopfully UN-confuse me:>) TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:20 am

Yes, we are still on the same wavelength about this horse. I am still firmly convinced he won't stretch out, and I really don't think he's been incredibly fast. That being said he's undefeated for a reason, he definitely has some talent and so far this crop hasn't been incredibly impressive.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:10 am

An impressive win yesterday for Nyquist, very fast fractions, and looked really good winning it.
Am I crazy to still be convinced he's better at a mile? I am waiting to be proven wrong...

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:48 am

I was asleep at the wheel....forgot this race and the Southwest were run Monday, worked out though...saved money:>) Here's the replay. Nyquist certainly looked good...maybe all the lack of stamina breeding is beginning to change the picture for distance pedigrees? American Pharoah's breeding also indicated going a distance could be a problem...which he certainly proved wrong. TJ
http://www1.drf.com/displayVideo.do?tra ... ountry=USA

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:11 pm

TJ wrote:I was asleep at the wheel....forgot this race and the Southwest were run Monday, worked out though...saved money:>) Here's the replay. Nyquist certainly looked good...maybe all the lack of stamina breeding is beginning to change the picture for distance pedigrees? American Pharoah's breeding also indicated going a distance could be a problem...which he certainly proved wrong. TJ
http://www1.drf.com/displayVideo.do?tra ... ountry=USA

I'm even more asleep than you TJ. Said the same thing on another thread before I saw this one...