The Dubai World Cup Races

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The Dubai World Cup Races

Postby TJ » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:48 am

Below is the link to the Dubai World Cup card this Saturday 3/26. Of interest is the 4th race, the UAE Derby (180 Derby Points) featuring the super undefeated 3YO filly Polar River. She's had all her races over the dirt at Meydan. She was bought and bred in Kentucky and sold again in Florida before she found her way to Dubai. She has enough points to run in the Oaks and possibly the Derby if she beats the colts Saturday, but her trainer decided 5 races in 5 months will be enough for her. Smart move by her trainer Doug Watson, who is also Kentucky bred and raised and was Kiaran McLaughlin's assistant for many years in Dubai. When Kiaran came back to the states, Doug took over training the horses in Dubai and has done very well in his own right. There is one American trained entry in the race, Frank Conversation (Doug O'Neil) who will try the dirt again after finishing off the board in his two previous attempts in the States.
The featured 9th race on the card is the 10 Million Dollar Dubai World Cup event. California Chrome drew a poor post position breaking from the 11 post in the field of 12. Frosted isn't much better from the 9 post position, but his style of running is better suited if he has to take back. Mshawish drew the 2 slot, Keen Ice the 1 and Hoppertunity has the 10 post. That rounds out the 5 American entries. The hometown horse, Special Fighter ran a monster race in his last start and could be on the improve after being defeated easily 2 back by Frosted. Click on the link and browse the 9 races...pick any that might catch your imagination, I have a hard time reading their pp's.:>) TJ

http://www.emiratesracing.com/page/racecard#tab-10391
Last edited by TJ on Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

TJ
Darley line

Re: The Dubai World Cup Races

Postby TJ » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:04 am

Dubai World Cup:
Frosted...I can't get his last winning race out of my head, he looks like he's never been better and I like Buick in the irons, he knows this track. Here's Frosted's Dubai prep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucuTL98IOf4
California Chrome...Last year in a 9 horse field in the World Cup, CC broke from the extreme outside and was wide throughout getting beat by a very ordinary horse. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-HaOjuyf6k) I'm just not sure about Espinoza breaking from the outside? Physically CC has never looked better...so it's in the hands of Espinoza and the racing gods:>) Here's CC's 2016 prep race from the rail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMGElQbapec
Mshawish...Taylor Made, who bought into California Chrome, also has a rooting interest in this horse as he will go to stud at Taylor Made as well.
Special Fighter...will take them as far as he can go. Here's his 2nd prep at Dubai after finishing 6th previously against Frosted's record breaking winning performance. Of interest is that Special Fighter never showed his speed against Frosted, did they just give him that race...since he set a track record (at the World Cup distance) when winning this one??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNavHuRpnZo

UAE Derby:
Polar River
Frank Conversation
Lazzam
Vale Dori

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:57 pm

Here's a video from Meydan this morning during training 3/23. The first horse appears 45 seconds into the video, you will see the Australian horse Gun Pit gallop twice around with saddlecloth #10. Next to appear is California Chrome (saddle cloth number1), but walking further behind him nearer the middle of the track, you will observe trainer Todd Pletcher. Look to the right, alongside CC trying to keep up is jockey Espinoza. The lady in front of Chrome on the track, is one of Todd's assistant trainers, Ginny DePasquale. Next Pletcher makes contact with Alan Sherman and they exchange greetings as Alan and his groom approach Chrome on the track. CC then goes on with his gallop. Next around comes Pletcher's Mshawish with the draw reins getting pretty strong the 2nd time around:>) Finally the UAE Derby entrant, Frank Conversation looking good his 2nd time around. TJ
https://brightcove.hs.llnwd.net/v1/uds/ ... 4118748001

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:07 pm

Nothing against CC or the other horses, but I'm rooting for Frosted... he deserves a big win this year! :D

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:51 pm

Expect a big day for Jockey Paul Hanagan tomorrow and a big run from Special Fighter in the World Cup.
Be interesting what the stewards make of/do to Victor Espinoza I expect some carnage at the first turn.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:40 pm

1st: Handassa

2nd: Maftool
Marking

3rd: Vizirabad
Manatee

4th: UAE Derby, Above.

5th: Lady Shipman

6th: XY Jet
Muaraab
Confrontation

7th: Intilaaq
Tryster

8th: Highland Reel
Postponed
Dariyan

9th: Dubai World Cup, above.

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Postby Aug27 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:25 pm

I expect Keen Ice to hit the board under Ryan Moore ...

The Andre Fabre entry is intriguing. He normally doesn't enter unless he thinks his horse belongs.
His form suggests he is way out of his league, but ... stranger things have happened!
Prince Bishop last year was a huge longshot, IIRC.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:51 pm

I'm rooting for Frosted and Lady Shipman and Flamboyant.
Haven't looked through PPs, just being a fan.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:00 am

The UAE Derby...The filly, Polar River in very close quarters making her run in deep stretch, lost by a 1/2 to Lani, the Japanese entrant. To be fair, Lani had a terrible break and ran a great race. A Kentucky bred son of Tapit out of the Japanese bred Sunday Silence mare, Romance....his connections will bring Lani back to Kentucky for the Derby. TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:25 am

If you thought Steve Coburn was an ASS Perry Martin just unsurped him.

God these people are the most obnoxious owners in the history of racing, well I am forgetting Ahmed Zayat, Ken Ramsey - maybe its just an American thing?

Has Donald Trump ever owned a horse?
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:25 am

The Dubai World Cup: California Chrome just destroyed them (as the saddle slipped well back under him),
Mubtaahij, 2nd
Hoppertunity 3rd
Special Fighter 4th.
Last edited by TJ on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:27 am

dublino wrote:If you thought Steve Coburn was an ASS Perry Martin just unsurped him.

God these people are the most obnoxious owners in the history of racing, well I am forgetting Ahmed Zayat, Ken Ramsey - maybe its just an American thing?

Has Donald Trump ever owned a horse?

Hi Dub,
I was thinking the same thing about Martin...TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:43 am

Ertijaal's narrow defeat was a costly one(doubles and trebles), broke even for the day with Spring loaded at Kempton and Clear Cut at Cork as well as Muarrab at Meydan.

Any $$$ made yourself TJ?

Ooops and I forgot Tepin's owner Robert Masterson another charming humble winner....
Edited by Moderator

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:18 am

Don't have to like the owners, just have to like the horse. Aren't we glad that Taylor Made has a percentage.... maybe they'll keep the sense in everyone with this horse.
That was a mighty impressive win, and although the owner is a jack a**, the horse is an absolute star.
I can't believe I ever thought he'd have trouble at 10 furlongs :-)

I am thoroughly convinced now that Frosted is a 9 furlong horse. He tried, but just not good enough that last furlong. It was nice to see Hoppertunity get his usual placing.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:33 am

Cree wrote:Aren't we glad that Taylor Made has a percentage.... maybe they'll keep the sense in everyone with this horse.
That was a mighty impressive win, the horse is an absolute star.

I am thoroughly convinced now that Frosted is a 9 furlong horse.

It was nice to see Hoppertunity get his usual placing.

Agreed, the Taylors are a class family and operation.
Horse is the Best in the World at 10f on Dirt at the minute, sparing a thought for Shared Belief today, shame what happened to him.

Agree with Frosted although the start and position he was in didn't help the way the track was riding.

Hoppertunity outrun Special Fighter for third so no it wasn't nice AT ALL. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Edited by Moderator